No rub?

ChrisMoorer

Been seeing some restaurants on tv smoking their butts and ribs without any rub. Have yall ever tried this and gotten good results?

Not me. There used to be a place around here called 'The Boneyard' that everyone raved about. I think they steamed their ribs and served them plain with sauce on the table. To this day I can't figure out why everyone liked them, worst ribs I ever had.

I've seen people do this on 'Man, Fire, Food', but even when there's no rub involved they're still using seasonings. Usually salt, pepper, garlic powder. In each case it was a method that Grandpappy handed down and it's become a time-honored tradition.

I've been smoking for more than 30 years and can count the number of times I used a "rub" on one hand. Unless you count Salt & Pepper. There's less mess and any flavor you want can be added after the cook

Salt and Pepper definitely counts as rub in my book. It's all beef really needs. Pork on the other hand needs more help.

Last edited:
I make my own Rub for Butts and Ribs and I'm very satisfied with how they turn out, that being said I lived in Memphis for a couple of years in the late 90's and whenever Downtown I'd eat at Charlie Vergos Rendezvous, would always order the Ribs and Pulled Pork Plate. They cook their ribs unseasoned and just do mop while cooking then season them after they are cooked, they are awesome by the way, don't know about their Butts. They also cook their Ribs over Charcoal at 425 for an hour, Amazing Ribs has the Mop and rub recipe.

Agree with Dustin and TW -- salt and pepper qualifies as "rub" and can be used on just about any smoked meat. Thicker hunks of meat can take more salt and thinner cuts (and ribs) can do with less salt. That said, I typically add paprika, granulated garlic and some kind of sugar to pork rubs.

Been seeing some restaurants on tv smoking their butts and ribs without any rub. Have yall ever tried this and gotten good results?

a few years ago I forgot to put the rub on some butts & they had the best bark I've ever had. Try it side by side & see how it works, I normally use one.

For my taste, a rub usually does not need to come from a package. Its fun to experiment with seasonings that I have on hand.
For me the simpler the better.

for beef I typically go kosher salt and course ground black pepper. For pork or most other meat I use some sort of rub or spice combo. I like to keep things as simple as possible and let the meat be the star of the show.

In my humble opinion too many people rely on rub/sauce to make good BBQ when in fact the rub/sauce should be used as a tool to enhance the end product and the cook should rely on cooking technique and quality cuts of meat.

Never have and never will, I like the flavor I get from using my rub

Maybe you should change the rub you use. Seriously, there are some great recipes on this site (BRITU being my goto rib rub at this point). You shouldn't deny yourself the pleasure of spices in perpetuity. Maybe post in the "recipe request forum" just what you're presently using (including quantities) and someone will defintely pipe in as to how it might be improved.

Unless you didn't punctuate correctly and I have misunderstood. :confused:

I watched some show in Food Net, and they did show a restaurant in Tennessee that smoked their ribs with nothing other then a light coat of Kosher(salt) for about 4-5 hours (no wrap). And after they're done, they DOUSE them with a liberal coat of rub. Essentially plating them with a fresh coat of rub over them...

...not sure if this is what you're talking about. But it certainly gave me something new to try out!

Is salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder considered a rub? That is all I ever use on beef.

I also have a real rub that adds chilli powder, mustard powder, paprika, sugar, cumin to the SPOG that I use for pork.

The last few chickens I have cooked I used Klose poultry seasoning.....good stuff.

Adding seasoning after the cook is not as good as cooking with seasoning applied....IMO.

I watched some show in Food Net, and they did show a restaurant in Tennessee that smoked their ribs with nothing other then a light coat of Kosher(salt) for about 4-5 hours (no wrap). And after they're done, they DOUSE them with a liberal coat of rub. Essentially plating them with a fresh coat of rub over them...

...not sure if this is what you're talking about. But it certainly gave me something new to try out!
What he didn't say was he does mop the ribs, which probably has some rub in it. I'm going to try that method myself. If anything to save a little money. I love Memphis style dry ribs.

Myself I like just salt and pepper but the family likes it with something more complex but back on topic, no ,never plain.

I did a rubless butt before. It was ok, worth a try. Rubbed butts are definitely better.

Maybe you should change the rub you use. Seriously, there are some great recipes on this site (BRITU being my goto rib rub at this point). You shouldn't deny yourself the pleasure of spices in perpetuity. Maybe post in the "recipe request forum" just what you're presently using (including quantities) and someone will defintely pipe in as to how it might be improved.

Unless you didn't punctuate correctly and I have misunderstood. :confused:

After reading what I put here is what I meant. I have never smoked/grilled anything without using my rub on it or another type of rub

I have also seen BBQ shows featured on TV where the so called "Pitmaster" uses green wood rather then seasoned wood. To each his own but I believe that all meat benefits from at least some seasoning. Always Salt and Pepper as a base.

Back