No more Pork Belly or Tri Tip at my COSTCO :(

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Today I went to pick up my shirts at the laundry. The lady thanks me for my patronage and says they are closing down Weds. I asked why and she said the owners just felt like it was time. I gotta find a new cleaner.

So, we head to Burger King to get SWMBO a Coke ICEE. They don't sell them anymore. That's the only flavor she likes.

So, we head to COSTCO. I asked the butcher if he had any pork belly in the back because I didn't see them in the case. He got me one and asked if I wanted two. I said one would do it and then he said once they're sold out they aren't going to get anymore. He said COSTCO is not going to carry them anymore.

When I asked the same guy where the Tri Tips are - I haven't seen any in awhile. He said they already quit carrying them.

When I asked why are they making these business decisions, thinking they don't sell well, he said no they sell the crap out of both of them - just COSTCO decided they are not going to carry them any more.

I don't get it. I came home and made bacon thinking I shoulda got two.

Last edited:
It's interesting you brought that up when I went to Costco a week ago they had PBs but no TTs I thought that odd they always have them. I have the meat managers business card I'll give him a call and see what he says.

They had several whole and sliced bellies yesterday at mine, didn't buy any.
They also had Prime brisket packers for $2.69/lb, didn't buy one.
no tri tips for a long time now.

I've never seen a packer at our local COSTCO but I saw some flats today.

anyway... better make the best of it:

001_zpsaqey9nzs.jpg

002_zps2z8worng.jpg

003_zpsbgarrkft.jpg

004_zps7iagi7ow.jpg

005_zpshmdxmtea.jpg

I am in Cali and can confirm the COSTCO in Roseville still has Tri-tip. 4.99/lb trimmed in the "big bag". However I did not see them packaged as singles. I quit buying meat from COSTCO awhile ago and have been buy from SAMs and cash & carry

Last edited:
The Montgomery Alabama Costco has never had pork belly or whole packers. I have not seen the tri tips in a while. However, we are getting a Costco liquor store

Had a conversation with the meat department manager at Costco yesterday. I told him about what we had heard no more TT or belies. He said they just got some TTs in this morning, but didn't have them out yet and they also got some bellies in but wouldn't be putting them out due to the shortage of cooler space with all the holiday meats being displayed. But they are available.
To his knowledge they will continue to sell both and he hasn't read or heard anything to the contrary.

Checked two Costcos in my area and neither have bellies. Restaurant depot has them by the case. I've got the freezer space and several people willing to buy the finished product off of me, so I'm likely to go splurge for a 65lb case of bellies this weekend.

Just like Rich, I talked to the meat guys at Costco near me and they said that they are still getting both and will continue to. They sell a lot of TT and they still are.

According to the meat manager, the Alpharetta, GA Costco doesn't carry Tri-tip anymore. Trader Joes is just about the only place you can buy them around here. I guess most people in this area don't know what it is and it wasn't a big mover. My loss.

According to the meat manager, the Alpharetta, GA Costco doesn't carry Tri-tip anymore. Trader Joes is just about the only place you can buy them around here. I guess most people in this area don't know what it is and it wasn't a big mover. My loss.

You could be right TT is big on the West coast. Not so big one state over in Arizona. Costco, Walmart usually always have them and sometimes the local chain stores do. As far East as you are might be the case folks aren't familiar with them and so they don't sell.

So... I rinsed the pieces and dried them in the fridge for a cpl daze and took the opportunity to marinade some jerky as well. Finally, today was the day to smoke the bacon.

003_zpsuxipwkgb.jpg

004_zpsh0h9tw6u.jpg

Cheers!

I've noticed from looking at forums that what Costco carries is region specific. Salt Lake City still has them. Always does. When I travel to SoCal I always make sure I can grill at a relatives house or pick up a cheap Weber in CL. SoCal seems to carry prime tri tips, and the marbling is unbelievable. Can't get that here in Utah.

The Costco in Nashville has never carried pork belly or whole briskets. In fact they have a very poor selection of meat for smoking. Their ribs are already cut St. Louis style which I don't like. Luckily I have a good meat market a few blocks from my house. I just ordered a pork belly from them for less than $2 a pound.

just now home from Costco in south StL county
pork bellies $2.75/lb, bought one
Prime packer briskets $2.69/lb, didn't but one.
gas was $1.67

Back