No Brisket Found

JS Lockwood

In my shopping around I cannot find a store that sells whole packers. Nothing but flats. The grocery store meat departments can't even order one up for me.

So my question is, has anyone here ever mail-ordered a packer and if so from which site? Thanks!

i had the hardest time finding one in the philly area...until i realized that they sold them at the local walmart of all places...

JS... I wonder if you could ask one of the BBQ restaurants in Pensacola to order it for you.
Maybe a place like this one :
KC John's BBQ
11117 Lillian Hwy
Pensacola, FL 32506
(850) 455-4819

Their Facebook page

In my shopping around I cannot find a store that sells whole packers. Nothing but flats. The grocery store meat departments can't even order one up for me.

So my question is, has anyone here ever mail-ordered a packer and if so from which site? Thanks!

I have found them at Whole Foods and Sam's Club. Small butcher shops should be able to get one for you.

Interesting point: This week's episode of BBQ Pitmasters was done in Texas. And, the meat of the week was a brisket flat which is what most home BBQers use.

I'm not a fan of my local Walmart (customer service issues) but decided to check out my local store and wouldn't you know it....they had three 14# packers on the shelf. Go figure. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend with my new DigiQ that arrived yesterday.

Grocery Outlet, Food Outlet, pic-n-sav, and Wal-mart will all have whole packers everyday and can order them if need be. Look for the occasional ones stamped choice. Otherwise get a select grade that is good and floppy.

Winn Dixie & Publix are gonna have flats only.

If u can wade past the rednecks, grocery outlet has a great meat Dept.

Welcome to the board too.

The local walmarts here in NVA do carry whole packers, however they are select. I did however purchase my Brisket from Mr. Brisket in Ohio. It was a USDA prime for $5.50 a pound. It was sent to me in 2 day shipping. And now it is sitting in my freezer waiting for Memorial Day.

Great, I assume going to JW Treuth and Sons in Ellicott City, Maryland (near BWI) was too far to drive. Also, I would start thinking about when to move the brisket from the freezer to the refrigerator to let it thaw. I am thinking it could take at least five days to fully thaw out.

-- Mache

Great, I assume going to JW Treuth and Sons in Ellicott City, Maryland (near BWI) was too far to drive. Also, I would start thinking about when to move the brisket from the freezer to the refrigerator to let it thaw. I am thinking it could take at least five days to fully thaw out.

-- Mache

Ellicott city would be atleast an hour and 15mins to and fro. The extra $20 for shipping was better for my opportunity cost.

With the amount of meat that I am going to cook (I decided to do a turkey too now,I suspect that I will have over 20 adults in the house and not everyone will eat beef or pork) I think i will be better off fulling my bath tub with cold water and placing the frozen brisket and pork butt in the tub to defrost. That way I can maximize my limited fridge space. How long do you think it will take them(brisket and butt) to defrost using this method?

BTW what are your thoughts on which rack to place which meat. I'm thinking 275 place the brisket on the bottom with the butt on the top. It seems as though Butt should take less than the brisket since , it is a smaller meat and should take less time to cook. Therefore, using your advice on how to cook the brisket, I'll probably end up putting the butt on about 2 hours after I put the brisket on. So it would be easier to have the empty space on the top rack for the Butt. Secondly, once the Brisket is ready to wrap, there should be significant shrinkage between both meats that they should be able to both fit on the top rack after I have wrap the it.

Thoughts?

An ice water bath by definition is 32F at sea level. While I am not an expert, I would guess it would take around 4-6 hours to defrost.

As for where to place the butt, I would be more concerned as to how much manipulation each piece of meat requires. Since brisket has a smaller window to get right, requires testing, and wrapping, I would make it more accessible and place it on top. Because the butt is much more forgiving, I would then try to time the butt on the lower rack so that it comes out a little after the brisket. Just my preference.

Regarding which rack to place the meat, assuming you have a 22" WSM, I would check the capacity article on this site. I could not say one way or the other when you are ready to wrap the brisket if you would have enough shrinkage to fit it side by side with a butt on the top rack.

Back