NLA 40968012 Grease Pan for Genesis x000 Grills: Potential Reproduction Stainless Steel Option

NLA 40968012 Grease Pan: What is everyone's budget for a stainless reproduction?

• $75 to $100 USD plus shipping

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • I'm cheap: $55 USD or less plus shipping

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • $100-$150 USD plus shipping, Its worth it for stainless!

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Yes I would commit to buy

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • No I would not commit to buy

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
I have a buddy in California who has a metal fab shop. The NLA 40968012 grease pan from Weber is the hardest to find. He can quote a cost for a fabbed (not stamped) stainless reproduction. If we can get enough people to commit to the min order quantity, somewhere around 300+ units, what is everyone's budget for product cost? Shipping will be separate since that can vary a lot depending where you live.

My hope is the more people who buy in the more we could lower the unit price plus shipping. This is all preliminary, just trying to gauge interest and budget. I need to get him a PDF template/measurements of the original to get the ball rolling. Gerry and Ed P on here did one I believe.

Last edited:
No, I don't think that was me, you were communicating to about it. I honestly would not even know how to do it, but would be happy to if someone explained to me how

Gerry did much of the measurements already. Hoping he could forward over to me and I can get it over to my contact in California. Honestly it's a shot in the dark but it could be potentially an option for us so I'm going to chase it for a short time. If it becomes viable then I'll invest more time into the project.

Gerry did much of the measurements already. Hoping he could forward over to me and I can get it over to my contact in California. Honestly it's a shot in the dark but it could be potentially an option for us so I'm going to chase it for a short time. If it becomes viable then I'll invest more time into the project.
Oh sorry. I misread. I will give myself a head slap. Hey you still rebuilding those little Honda tractors like I had about 3 years back? Sometimes I still wish I had kept that little machine. Was easier to maneuver around than the goliath Kubota. Still love that thing. NOthing like the smell of............diesel in the morning.

Does Rustoleum High heat stick to stainless? It would only be for the look as I'm not sure how te SS would look under the cookbox.

Sorry, I’m not quite clear as to the “check boxes” aspect of this. Testing the water for potential sales, fishing to see just how much folks would pay, or what? Where will production be, steel/enameling quality, delivery time? Asking more question than OP has offered.
I’d appreciate more information from the seller, as it becomes available.

Sorry, I’m not quite clear as to the “check boxes” aspect of this. Testing the water for potential sales, fishing to see just how much folks would pay, or what? Where will production be, steel/enameling quality, delivery time? Asking more question than OP has offered.
I’d appreciate more information from the seller, as it becomes available.
Sure thing. Sorry I threw together the choices. Basically my contact in CA needs to cost out the job. He needs to figure cost of materials, labor cost for fabrication, and admin to handle/ship the orders plus whatever shipping will be.

Typically the more quantity that you order for a particular run of product, you can get a volume discount on materials. It also helps to spread out the one time calls for any special tooling needed.

Gauging the interest on how many people would be interested in buying gives him a better idea on how to price it. And let's be honest this grease pan only matters to us guys and gals here who are restoring the older grills. I certainly wouldn't want him to run say a batch of 300 or 500 of these pans and he only sells say 100 of them and then he's stuck with the rest. That's why I was asking the questions and framing the pole choices as such.

Apologies I'm trying not to get too detailed or complicated since this is only preliminary. I'm just a guy out there trying to help out the community. My contacts said that he would be interested in quoting it if I got him the details so hey a little bit of emailing and some keystrokes to gauge interest is a small lift for me.

Gary

Gary,
I really appreciate you doing the leg work to see if this could be accomplished. There is no doubt that the lack of availability of this part is becoming the Achilles heal of these cool old grills. You have hit on the two big obstacles already: lining up enough orders to make the volume cost effective and shipping.

These very issues dissuaded me from attempting something similar with stainless bottoms and backs for 300 series Genesis grills.

IMG_2314.jpeg

Gary,
I really appreciate you doing the leg work to see if this could be accomplished. There is no doubt that the lack of availability of this part is becoming the Achilles heal of these cool old grills. You have hit on the two big obstacles already: lining up enough orders to make the volume cost effective and shipping.

These very issues dissuaded me from attempting something similar with stainless bottoms and backs for 300 series Genesis grills.

View attachment 81672

Thank you Jon.

My contact works at Die Cutting Solutions in Riverside CA. We recently connected over a mutual interest in vintage valve amplifiers. I mentioned this project to him and he was interested to take a stab at it.

Hopefully with this info it can put some weight behind the effort I'm trying to assemble. So many besides myself have done work towards this goal.

I sent Gerry and Ed's PDF file to my contact from the other thread to see if he could throw me some numbers and quantity volume goals to drive those unit price numbers.

If at the very least it was a worthy exercise.

Thank you Jon.

My contact works at Die Cutting Solutions in Riverside CA. We recently connected over a mutual interest in vintage valve amplifiers. I mentioned this project to him and he was interested to take a stab at it.

Hopefully with this info it can put some weight behind the effort I'm trying to assemble. So many besides myself have done work towards this goal.

I sent Gerry and Ed's PDF file to my contact from the other thread to see if he could throw me some numbers and quantity volume goals to drive those unit price numbers.

If at the very least it was a worthy exercise.

Gary, I would think this project is going to take some time and effort.

Maybe this community could help establishing a baseline sale price for this item.

When I was restoring my personal grill, a new grease tray was needed to complete the job.

I would have paid the $100-$150 price for a stainless tray because I wanted to restore my almost 30 year old, in good shape otherwise grill.

That $100-$150 price might be too high for someone who restores grill for resale, but reasonable to a person restoring a grill for personal use.

I will commit to buying one just to support free enterprise, and be happy to have a stainless tray in the process.

Hey John Yes I agree this is going to take a little time to put all the pieces together. I think you hit on a very good point. The grill flippers are not going to want to pay very much for a stainless option unless they had no choice. However to restore someone's personal grill I think is more realistic for this project.

If at the very least it was a good exercise to at least explore what the costing could be.

I'd pay for a stainless option on my 5000. Of course, I'm in the group that will be keeping my grill, not flipping it. That makes a considerable difference.

There was a guy selling something like this on eBay not too long ago. They weren't stamped, they weren't stainless, and they weren't pretty. I can't remember exactly what he was charging for them but I know it was less than $100. I wasn't desperate enough to buy one but I assume he sold out of whatever he had. I'm still holding out hope that an aftermarket company will reproduce these.

There was a guy selling something like this on eBay not too long ago. They weren't stamped, they weren't stainless, and they weren't pretty. I can't remember exactly what he was charging for them but I know it was less than $100. I wasn't desperate enough to buy one but I assume he sold out of whatever he had. I'm still holding out hope that an aftermarket company will reproduce these.
I know the exact one you are talking about and yes it was not pretty.

The fabbed option is likely the less expensive option. The problem with a stamped option like the original is the cost of tooling. The stamp die alone will be in the $4k and up range. It's a one time cost but that has to be factored in to the product cost. That's why a project like this never gets off the ground. Unless there is an internal person at Weber who knows where that press die is, if they even still have it, could they make a small run to help us restore guys out etc. Who knows.

Hey everyone hope you all had a great Thanksgiving holiday. Still waiting on some details from my contact in California on the cost of materials. Initial material costing isn't looking the greatest for a reasonable pan cost to the end user.

With the holiday season in full swing may not get final yay or nay on the project.

Be in touch once I have an update. :)

Back