Newbie with an old Genesis--learning to refurb!

I have a lot to learn about using this grill well, and I DO want to learn to use the kettle better as well. So at least for now, that will be my "low and slow" cooker. I haven't ever cooked anything low and slow on a grill. So my learning curve is going to be very steep.

Please don't get me wrong. the E310 will cook good food, and you have over half the grill for indirect cooking, its just not going to be 225F like a smoker...

Please don't get me wrong. the E310 will cook good food, and you have over half the grill for indirect cooking, its just not going to be 225F like a smoker...
Absolutely understood! I don't want this to be a slow cooker/smoker. But I think I should be able to get a little more control. I've got to see if I can find my old manual. Over the years I've forgotten a lot about heat control and using the zones, etc. I'll check the weber site. I bet I can download.

I have downloaded them from the Weber site in the past. Go to customer support - manuals and diagrams and enter your serial number. It should list what they have for it.

Absolutely understood! I don't want this to be a slow cooker/smoker. But I think I should be able to get a little more control. I've got to see if I can find my old manual. Over the years I've forgotten a lot about heat control and using the zones, etc. I'll check the weber site. I bet I can download.
You just don't remember how well it worked before the heat diffusers and flavorizer bars rotted away. Once you get it going again with new parts it will all come back to you.

You sound like you might benefit from looking for a free local grill to use when yours is not running. There are free Webers out there, that work!

I realize I'm probably spreading Weberitis, but after all it is contagious disease.

I'd look for a free Silver B or C. Those are probably the very easiest to rehabilitate, so once your grill is back, you could rehab the Silver and then have two grills! Or three, if I am remembering correctly. Heck, pick up a few free ones, why not?

You sound like you might benefit from looking for a free local grill to use when yours is not running. There are free Webers out there, that work!

I realize I'm probably spreading Weberitis, but after all it is contagious disease.

I'd look for a free Silver B or C. Those are probably the very easiest to rehabilitate, so once your grill is back, you could rehab the Silver and then have two grills! Or three, if I am remembering correctly. Heck, pick up a few free ones, why not?
LISTEN TO ME. If I knew how to judge the old grills, I would totally do this.

I will take any free Weber that doesn't have major rust that I can't fix.

Since I have found y'all, I have no...okay I have LESS....fear.

Start looking around then, most of the older grills are lot simpler to fix than yours. What do you have to lose?

What? I can't hear you!

Just kidding.

Look online for free grills. You've already learned enough to get one running good enough to keep you grilling while you repair your original one.

Plus, since you have joined the Dark Side (this forum) you can easily get any advice and instructions you need.

Many free grills just have busted ignitors, which don't really matter practically speaking. Even if you pick up a free one to use while you fix up yours, the worst thing is that it will be a temporary grill that can be used while you fix yours.

Then you can decide later what to do with the free one.

Just thinkin.

Can you hear me?

Ha, ha,

Tim

What? I can't hear you!

Just kidding.

Look online for free grills. You've already learned enough to get one running good enough to keep you grilling while you repair your original one.

Plus, since you have joined the Dark Side (this forum) you can easily get any advice and instructions you need.

Many free grills just have busted ignitors, which don't really matter practically speaking. Even if you pick up a free one to use while you fix up yours, the worst thing is that it will be a temporary grill that can be used while you fix yours.

Then you can decide later what to do with the free one.

Just thinkin.

Can you hear me?

Ha, ha,

Tim

I HEAR you! :LOL:

So...on the one hand....I do not need a lot of projects lying around, because we are trying to get rid of so much stuff. (long story...people died...family farms were sold....there was grief...we brought home EVERYTHING....so now we have to deal with it, and that takes a lot of energy)

So...that said, it is clear that I use a grill a lot. If I pick up one, and don't get to it for a while, I guess that's okay. Except it's one more thing sitting around. So....I need to learn to evaluate the grills and make good choices. However, I have learned a LOT just from cleaning my Weber, and now I might could look at other grills with a bit more of a practiced eye.

I know people flip these. I don't think I want to do that, but I could even get sucked into that. Cuz I think I am sort of a Weber ho. I didn't realize that, but now I'm kind of thinking yeah....I am. Maybe an "older Weber ho" kind of like "old houses, old trucks, old dogs, old Webers."

I dunno. I'm putting the cart before the horse.

I need to get grilling with my current unit.

So I'm in the holding pattern...waiting for my stuff to arrive.

I'm trying to do a few things each day (cuz just now going back to work after having covid last month) and tonight I didn't do much.

Cleaned the front panel (I still need to know whether there are decals available for those little "12 o'clock" marks, or if I need to redo those with model paint or something)

front panel cleaned.jpg

Cleaned the manifold area.

Manifold cleaned.jpg

Cleaned some other small parts. One clip is missing. It was never there.

front panel back.jpg

AND...I sanded the pointy parts of the igniters, and sanded the burners below the igniters.

sanding burners.jpg

I hooked up the wires to each igniter.

At this point, they all fire. They do NOT all fire consistently, though it gets more consistent if I futz with the igniter a bit. So I still don't know if I will need a set of new igniters or not.

I can certainly FUNCTION without one. But to be 100 percent? I don't know yet. :unsure:

Quoting you again to ask...how do y'all find old Webers?

Quoting you again to ask...how do y'all find old Webers?
Look on Facebook marketplace. I think you're going to have to get creative to reproduce the little black stripes on your control panel. I'm pretty sure weber doesn't have replacement stickers for those and a new panel is over $100 I'm sure.

Look on Facebook marketplace. I think you're going to have to get creative to reproduce the little black stripes on your control panel. I'm pretty sure weber doesn't have replacement stickers for those and a new panel is over $100 I'm sure.
Darnit. Okay. New stickers would be easier. But I will figure out something.

@Dave in KC re-did the lettering in his E330 front control panel in red... Maybe he has some suggestions.

the thread with pics is here:

@Dave in KC re-did the lettering in his E330 front control panel in red... Maybe he has some suggestions.

the thread with pics is here:

Thanks!

They fall out of trees near me ;)

Ok, I just watch FBM and CL. I think I collected 10 last fall. I paid $10 for one so it wasn't quite free.
Holy Smokes! I'd be happy to pay $10 for something I could easily refurb and get going for my own use or for someone else.

It's interesting to me that the refurb guy in Nashville was offering $75-85 for my grill. That's a lot to pay for something you have to work on. But it also says he knows he can get his money out of it.

Now after learning a bit, I'm thinking he is using the cheapest SS parts he can get, and he is getting his grills for free, cleaning them well, and just fixing what has to be fixed so they function.

I guess a lot of refurb folks do that.

Holy Smokes! I'd be happy to pay $10 for something I could easily refurb and get going for my own use or for someone else.

It's interesting to me that the refurb guy in Nashville was offering $75-85 for my grill. That's a lot to pay for something you have to work on. But it also says he knows he can get his money out of it.

Now after learning a bit, I'm thinking he is using the cheapest SS parts he can get, and he is getting his grills for free, cleaning them well, and just fixing what has to be fixed so they function.

I guess a lot of refurb folks do that.
You're catching on quick! That's how it's done.

Back