Newbie with an old Genesis--learning to refurb!

One key to keep food from sticking to cooking grates is to get them fully heated up BEFORE you throw on the food. You can turn the heat down after that, but make sure the grates are good and hot before you drop the food on them.

Thank you. I always do this--preheat--and will try to remember this is necessary when the new grates come as well. I can't wait to try them!

I have just read all 7 pages as well, Cassondra, you have done a yeomans job on all of this project! Strong work!
where are you in Kentucky? I’ve driven through a lot of the state and been to a Bluegrass Festival in Lexington several times.
I’ve spent 50 years learning how to play Mandolin and love the music. Hoping that your parts arrive so you can get that rascal up and running for the weekend!
Welcome to this crazy world of grilling arts! The info you will get here can feel a little overwhelming but, these folks share what has worked for them freely, one of the best sites on the internet! (Hat off, bows to Chris Allingham.)🤠

I am loving it here. I hope to contribute and pay forward to other new people once I gain some knowledge to share. I am in the Bowling Green, KY area. Where are you?

I am with Timothy on the great work you are doing and how rapidly you are taking on that learning curve! I think you are well on your way to having a grill that will serve you well for a long time. All you need to do is give it the best storage you can when not in service and keep up with cleaning and rust prevention.

We are all enjoying following your progress and are glad to have you join our board! We will know you are totally hooked when you start thinking about how a 2nd grill rehab could add to your cooking versatility. From there it only gets worse :smilekettle: !
I'm already giving the side-eye to the old Weber kettle sitting in the yard. I've been lax about grill covers, and I need to go get new ones. There always seems to be something better to do with $80 than buy grill covers, yaknow? :cry:

So I do have a question for today. It's rainy so I don't know if I'll actually dig into the grill or not. But that carbon on the grill lid--and the black grime on the outside of the firebox...
Just scrape off the flaking carbon with my trusty putty knife?

Then what? Degreaser for the sides of the firebox, right? But what about the caked-on carbon on the inside of the lid? How do y'all approach that? Or should I leave it alone?

ETA: OH! Also....to the person who suggested I sand the burners clean under the ignitor pointy parts.....I'm assuming that's so there will be an arc from the pointy part to the metal of the burner. Am I thinking correctly?

I also have a question about another grill. A couple of years ago I started researching the "big green egg" style grills. I can't afford one right now, but in that research and reading, I decided my dream grill of that type was the Weber Summit. Now, I thought the "summit" was Weber's version of that "big green egg" style grill. ( I particularly liked that the top was not ceramic, so the inevitable drop would not break the darn thing.)

Now I see, looking around, that the "Summit" is not that grill, but a particular line of Weber grills. Is that right? I'm sort of confused.

I also have a question about another grill. A couple of years ago I started researching the "big green egg" style grills. I can't afford one right now, but in that research and reading, I decided my dream grill of that type was the Weber Summit. Now, I thought the "summit" was Weber's version of that "big green egg" style grill. ( I particularly liked that the top was not ceramic, so the inevitable drop would not break the darn thing.)

Now I see, looking around, that the "Summit" is not that grill, but a particular line of Weber grills. Is that right? I'm sort of confused.
Weber has Summit lines for their gas and charcoal...

I'd stay away from the gas one only because of the cheap materials they used when they build it (sheet metal). Paying that kind of money for a grill like that should last a long time (should be the last grill you'll ever buy I think) but, in most cases, that doesn't happen as seen on this forum, offer up, craigslist, etc... Now the Summit Kamado on the other hand is something I would get if I had the funds (and the hiding space from the wifey lol).

This scared me enough to immediately purchase the Genesis 1000 Flavorizer Bars I've been putting off.
Perhaps it is stock of SS rod that he has supply issues with.

I am enjoying it. Y'all took the fear out of it for me. Well, most of the fear. Still worried I'll break something expensive. 🤪

An expensive thing that can break is the lid or the cookbox hinges if it all falls over. Don't roll it around with the lid open, because if can be unstable.

Now I see, looking around, that the "Summit" is not that grill, but a particular line of Weber grills. Is that right? I'm sort of confused

There are summit gas grills, and charcoal.

Weber summit charcoal was out a few years ago and now they call it a Weber summit kamado.

WSK competes with 24 inch ceramic kamados like an XL big green egg.

Yes, what Dan said! Be careful when moving. Close the lid! When working on it, I’d recommend pulling the hitch pins and take it off. Much less chance to damage (break) those hinges.
I agree, razor blade maybe finishing with 4x0 steel wool and simple green. Remember enamel is glass! I use Windex when I get closer to finishing.
I’m in Kalamazoo, Mi. Have not been down there in several years.

Weber has Summit lines for their gas and charcoal...

I'd stay away from the gas one only because of the cheap materials they used when they build it (sheet metal). Paying that kind of money for a grill like that should last a long time (should be the last grill you'll ever buy I think) but, in most cases, that doesn't happen as seen on this forum, offer up, craigslist, etc... Now the Summit Kamado on the other hand is something I would get if I had the funds (and the hiding space from the wifey lol).

So I'm guessing the Kamado is the one I was looking at. I hadn't paid attention to whether I want gas or charcoal. Honestly I see people doing lovely slow cooks with all kinds of tips and tricks they use with the regular Weber kettles and "snake" charcoal formations, using a certain number of briquets, etc. I am a complete novice at all that, but for a charcoal grill, it seems like the kettle is just fine. It sears amazing steaks, but what I know how to do is light a chimney full of chunk charcoal, get the grill screaming hot, and put a stupid good sear on a Medium-rare or rare steak. I bought that Weber kettle JUST for doing that, close to 20 years ago. The gas Weber has been for everything else. And honestly now the gas Weber also cooks our steaks--cuz I'm not spending 1.5 hours prepping a grill for a 4 minute sear, so it's just become the go-to for everything.

That said, the Genesis will not slow cook anything. At least it won't NOW. Maybe if I get some heat control back with this refurb I can slow it down a bit for some other kinds of cooking.

My goal, though, is to learn to use the Kettle for slower-cooking things, smoking, etc, so it's not just sitting there, and if I got a Kamado, I'm guessing it would be my slow cooking gas choice. I'm on the fence about that. I don't really want a lot of things around that never get used. (I'm in downsizing mode at the moment).

Okey dokey! I was just at Home Depot and picked up a can of Simple Green Grill cleaner. It looked like it might be useful, although the grease buildup on the sides...I'm thinking this may strip the paint.
So I do have a question for today. It's rainy so I don't know if I'll actually dig into the grill or not. But that carbon on the grill lid--and the black grime on the outside of the firebox...
Just scrape off the flaking carbon with my trusty putty knife?

Then what? Degreaser for the sides of the firebox, right? But what about the caked-on carbon on the inside of the lid? How do y'all approach that? Or should I leave it alone?

ETA: OH! Also....to the person who suggested I sand the burners clean under the ignitor pointy parts.....I'm assuming that's so there will be an arc from the pointy part to the metal of the burner. Am I thinking correctly?
Yes, you should see an arc from the electrode to the burner tube. I would listen for the snapping as DanHoo has indicated. He says if it doesn’t snap, cleaning won’t fix it. He obviously has more experience than me. I only had to replace wires that burned up. I really suspect the electronic module but it is free to sand the tubes first. And I always like FREE! 😆

Wow the inside of your lid looks amazing!
That's what yours looks like underneath all that crud, you just have to get down to it. You will probably have to change the blade in the scraper a bunch of times and I also used 000 fine steel wool and simple green to get any remaining residue off.

That said, the Genesis will not slow cook anything. At least it won't NOW. Maybe if I get some heat control back with this refurb I can slow it down a bit for some other kinds of cooking.

I think its worth sharing experiences for expectation setting.

My opinion is an E310 won't ever do well as a low-and-slow cooker. 275F to 300F is likely the minimum temp with one burner. You can prop the lid open to get a little lower, but it won't compete with a kettle, a weber smokey mountain, a pellet grill or the weber summit kamado.

My goal, though, is to learn to use the Kettle for slower-cooking things, smoking, etc, so it's not just sitting there, and if I got a Kamado, I'm guessing it would be my slow cooking gas choice. I'm on the fence about that. I don't really want a lot of things around that never get used. (I'm in downsizing mode at the moment).

the WSK is like a metal, extra large BGE, but without the heft and weight of a ceramic grill.

its full on charcoal, very versatile and IMO makes a great companion for a gas grill.

My guess is, if you got a WSK, you'd find you are using your gas grill less and less -- as long as you have time to light coal.

edit: rather than derail your E310 Renovation, I'll tag you in a few threads where some folks are cooking amazing food on their WSK and you can look and see.

Yes, you should see an arc from the electrode to the burner tube. I would listen for the snapping as DanHoo has indicated. He says if it doesn’t snap, cleaning won’t fix it. He obviously has more experience than me. I only had to replace wires that burned up. I really suspect the electronic module but it is free to sand the tubes first. And I always like FREE! 😆
There is spark coming from all four of the little snappers on the main igniter thingy. I have it all taken apart, so don't know if the individual igniters each transfer that spark or not. I'll see when I get that part cleaned up and reassembled.

I think its worth sharing experiences for expectation setting.

My opinion is an E310 won't ever do well as a low-and-slow cooker. 275F to 300F is likely the minimum temp with one burner. You can prop the lid open to get a little lower, but it won't compete with a kettle, a weber smokey mountain, a pellet grill or the weber summit kamado.

the WSK is like a metal, extra large BGE, but without the heft and weight of a ceramic grill.

its full on charcoal, very versatile and IMO makes a great companion for a gas grill.

My guess is, if you got a WSK, you'd find you are using your gas grill less and less -- as long as you have time to light coal.

edit: rather than derail your E310 Renovation, I'll tag you in a few threads where some folks are cooking amazing food on their WSK and you can look and see.

I have a lot to learn about using this grill well, and I DO want to learn to use the kettle better as well. So at least for now, that will be my "low and slow" cooker. I haven't ever cooked anything low and slow on a grill. So my learning curve is going to be very steep.

There is spark coming from all four of the little snappers on the main igniter thingy. I have it all taken apart, so don't know if the individual igniters each transfer that spark or not. I'll see when I get that part cleaned up and reassembled.

If you have it all apart, plug one of the burners in to the igniter wire and see if you can see a spark across the igniter. speaking from experience if you are holding it just right ( or maybe just wrong) you'll get a a little jolt...

If you get it working you'll save $20 not having to replace the igniters.

Back