Newbie with an old Genesis--learning to refurb!

You're catching on quick! That's how it's done.
And yet the buyer still gets a better grill, for less money, than they would get going to a store and buying a new grill of another (at least most) brand. Huh. Kinda makes me want to become a Weber rescuer. However, so many have bad rust in the cabinets, etc....I would have to learn how to deal with all that. I need to just rescue my own grills and see how that goes.

If I want to send a direct message to someone, do I just click, "Start a conversation?" Is that the private DMs here?

Edited to add: K I think I figured it out.

Last edited:
NEW PARTS NEW PARTS!!!!! SOME ARE HERE!

Sorry for being disgustingly excited. I know this is old hat to y'all.

The bottom plates and bars arrived today, a day ahead of schedule! (Hope the grates also arrive sooner than anticipated.)

Here they are in the grill. They make my old grill look pretty gnarly. :ROFLMAO:

New innards.jpg

So they all have these marks on them, on each side.

At first I was like, what the heck?

But now I'm thinking that's on purpose, to keep the goo from sliding off, so it burns and makes more flavor?

goo catchers maybe.jpg

New grates are hopefully almost here! :geek:

If I were you, I'd take the lid off to clean it. Especially since you have such shiny new guts in there already. Again, razor scraper then steel wool. It's surprisingly gratifying.

Looking good!
While I could take the new guts out, I have NOT taken the burners out, and those seem likely to fill up with crud from my cleaning of the lid, so I think your advice to take the lid off is right on the money.

I will do that. AND...I can lay it on the ground so I can work on it without reaching so far. (I'm short...only 5' tall.)

I just couldn't wait to put the new guts in there and see if they fit.

🙃

THyde do you use any kind of chemical on the inside? Even Ammonia and water?

Or just the dawn dish soap?

Very cool, now you can put the burners back in and check to see if your igniters are working.

I never took the burners out. :eek:

They scare me a little. :cry:

I sanded them right there in the grill box. 80 grit, then very fine to smooth the sand marks.

sanding burners.jpg

If I should take those burners out, you tell me. I will if I need to.

Should I sand the entire burners clean?

I can. I just didn't want to risk wrecking them.

Maybe I should. According to my recent registration (thank you to all of you who suggested I do that and told me how) I have until December. If they're weak and about to fall apart, I need to know that I guess. *fraidy cat*

While I could take the new guts out, I have NOT taken the burners out, and those seem likely to fill up with crud from my cleaning of the lid, so I think your advice to take the lid off is right on the money.

I will do that. AND...I can lay it on the ground so I can work on it without reaching so far. (I'm short...only 5' tall.)

I just couldn't wait to put the new guts in there and see if they fit.

🙃

THyde do you use any kind of chemical on the inside? Even Ammonia and water?

Or just the dawn dish soap?
You have to take the lid off to scrape it or you'll 100% break it where it connects to the cook box, just lay it on something that won't scratch it. I either put it in the grass or lay it on cardboard in the garage.

You have to take the lid off to scrape it or you'll 100% break it where it connects to the cook box, just lay it on something that won't scratch it. I either put it in the grass or lay it on cardboard in the garage.
Thank you for this. I think it was some angel that kept me from starting on it, cuz I didn't know this, and I would have broken the lid.

Seriously, thank you.

If they fall apart from taking them out, you needed new ones anyway. It's not a bad idea to remove them and shake any debris out of them that's accumulated over the years.
Okay, so that means undoing the screw/bolt that holds them in. I know it's dumb, but for some reason, messing with the burners is the only part of this that has scared me.

Okay, so that means undoing the screw/bolt that holds them in. I know it's dumb, but for some reason, messing with the burners is the only part of this that has scared me.
No. Don't remove the screws in the cookbox.

Remove the two manifold bolts on the left and right side and pull it back a little so the burners slide out.

OMG! This just popped up as a facebook memory. I found this that I wrote years ago for a post I made, back when I was trying to build a business by posting regularly on social media. That's the year my mom got sick, and clearly, this grill had already started to need attention. The fact that it lasted for six years since I wrote this, through all the family drama, illness, grief, estate cleaning, etc, and was STILL COOKING OUR FOOD when I came to you for help, says a LOT about how tough Weber built this little grill.
I laughed when I read it, and thought y'all might laugh too. So glad to be fixing up this grill FINALLY!

About my Genesis, written in 2016:
(y'all who didn't grow up in the south, going to church where they taught out of the old testament, may not recognize this, but Lamentations is a book in the bible, and it kind of sounds like this.)

Lamentations of the Grill

Lo, the day cometh, and Verily I say it cometh quickly, when there shall be no grilled food.
The children of the earth (specifically those in Southern Kentucky) have wandered far. They have tended their yards. They have painted their houses. They have lusted after the harlot flower, watering, feeding, hungering for its sweet perfume.
Yea, they have eaten of the fat of the land. They have cast their fish, and their meat, their corn and their potatoes onto the mercy of the grill, and the grill has yielded her bounty.
And the grill has suffered, and she has cried out for the cleaning.
But the children of Southern Kentucky have heard it not. They have drunk their wine, eaten of the bounty, and heard not the cry of the grill. Yea, they have heard it not.
I say unto you, that the day cometh when the children of Southern Kentucky shall go to light the grill, but Lo, the grill shall not light. And the children shall cry out in hunger, and they shall curse the grill, and beg. They shall change the gas tank and scrape and plead, but the grill will not hear.
And the children shall die upon their deck, hungering for the fruit of the grill. Yea they will curse the grill, and the flowers, and the flowers shall die of thirst without the children to tend them.
For verily I say unto you, there are seven hells, but the eighth hell is cooking inside in Kentucky in July.

Last edited:
No. Don't remove the screws in the cookbox.

Remove the two manifold bolts on the left and right side and pull it back a little so the burners slide out

Okay. I knew better than to remove the ones in the cookbox (thanks to an earlier post by a member here) But each burner is bolted to the manifold, and won't move unless I undo those bolts.

Are you saying to remove the manifold itself, and not the individual bolts for each burner?

OMG! This just popped up as a facebook memory. I found this that I wrote years ago for a post I made, back when I was trying to build a business by posting regularly on social media. That's the year my mom got sick, and clearly, this grill had already started to need attention. The fact that it lasted for six years since I wrote this, through all the family drama, illness, grief, estate cleaning, etc, and was STILL COOKING OUR FOOD when I came to you for help, says a LOT about how tough Weber built this little grill.
I laughed when I read it, and thought y'all might laugh too. So glad to be fixing up this grill FINALLY!

About my Genesis, written in 2016:
(y'all who didn't grow up in the south, going to church where they taught out of the old testament, may not recognize this, but Lamentations is a book in the bible, and it kind of sounds like this.)

Lamentations of the Grill

Lo, the day cometh, and Verily I say it cometh quickly, when there shall be no grilled food.
The children of the earth (specifically those in Southern Kentucky) have wandered far. They have tended their yards. They have painted their houses. They have lusted after the harlot flower, watering, feeding, hungering for its sweet perfume.
Yea, they have eaten of the fat of the land. They have cast their fish, and their meat, their corn and their potatoes onto the mercy of the grill, and the grill has yielded her bounty.
And the grill has suffered, and she has cried out for the cleaning.
But the children of Southern Kentucky have heard it not. They have drunk their wine, eaten of the bounty, and heard not the cry of the grill. Yea, they have heard it not.
I say unto you, that the day cometh when the children of Southern Kentucky shall go to light the grill, but Lo, the grill shall not light. And the children shall cry out in hunger, and they shall curse the grill, and beg. They shall change the gas tank and scrape and plead, but the grill will not hear.
And the children shall die upon their deck, hungering for the fruit of the grill. Yea they will curse the grill, and the flowers, and the flowers shall die of thirst without the children to tend them.
For verily I say unto you, there are seven hells, but the eighth hell is cooking inside in Kentucky in July.
Ha ha, that's good stuff. I think I was able to ignore my grill for about 9 years before I had to replace something on it. (don't remember what exactly) They definitely don't build them like they used to.

Back