Newbie with an old Genesis--learning to refurb!

Ha ha, that's good stuff. I think I was able to ignore my grill for about 9 years before I had to replace something on it. (don't remember what exactly) They definitely don't build them like they used to.
I think this is why I'm drawn to the older grills. (I'm drawn to old things in general, but grills are the subject here)

I like things of quality, and so few things are built well now.

I am guessing that a grill built in 2000 or earlier is even better quality than my 2012 grill. But as time goes, it seems like things are getting made cheaper.

I think this is why I'm drawn to the older grills. (I'm drawn to old things in general, but grills are the subject here)

I like things of quality, and so few things are built well now.

I am guessing that a grill built in 2000 or earlier is even better quality than my 2012 grill. But as time goes, it seems like things are getting made cheaper.
As far as I'm concerned, 1999 was the last year Weber made a great grill. They became progressively cheaper after that. That's not to say that a new one doesn't cook well, they do. They just aren't going to last 20 or 30 years. I also have an old 1996 Toro lawnmower that I love and would prefer to never replace. What these two items have in common is that I didn't have the time to properly maintain them when they were new and they both managed to last until I could pay some attention to them.

Ha ha, that's good stuff. I think I was able to ignore my grill for about 9 years before I had to replace something on it. (don't remember what exactly) They definitely don't build them like they used to.
My two cents, or maybe two dollars with inflation.

The weak link is a solid floor that does not drain

I have had a (calender year) 2000 silver for 22 years this fall. The slide out grease tray rusted 5 to 10 years ago. Flav bars and burners rusted away and were replaced. Grates have been replaced. Cookbox warped in a grease fire but I traded up with a donor.

My mom has a 2009 side control genny 320, and there are hints of rust on the frame, yet cook box, lid, grates, flav bars and burners are in great shape, yet it's a dry climate and water does not sit inside.

The 2016 330s I have are in fantastic shape, but I've seen some with the inner cabinet rusted away.

The core is the cookbox, lid and burners and the weak points are the frame when the cookbox is enclosed and the lower shelf is solid.

Any of these from 1985 through 2016 can be maintained to last a long time.

I can't comment on anything newer as I haven't cooked on one newer than 2016.

All that said, I think a neglected older Genesis will fare better than a neglected newer one due to rust in the cabinet.

Last edited:
My two cents, or maybe two dollars with inflation.

The weak link is a solid floor that does not drain

I have had a (calender year) 2000 silver for 22 years this fall. The slide out grease tray rusted 5 to 10 years ago. Flav bars and burners rusted away and were replaced. Grates have been replaced. Cookbox warped in a grease fire but I traded up with a donor.

My mom has a 2009 side control genny 320, and there are hints of rust on the frame, yet burners, cook box lid grates and burners are in great shape, yet it's a dry climate and water does not sit inside.

The 2016 330s I have are in fantastic shape, but I've seen some with the inner cabinet rusted away.

The core is the cookbox, lid and burners and the weak points are the frame.

Any of these from 1985 through 2016 can be maintained to last a long time.

I can't comment on anything newer as I haven't cooked on one newer than 2016.

All that said, I think a neglected older Genesis will fare better than a neglected newer one due to rust in the cabinet.
Dan, you definitely have the benefit of a good climate for grills. I imagine the sun is the worst enemy of just about anything where you live. I do still see extremely well preserved examples of the old Genesis models here but nowhere near what you encounter.

As far as I'm concerned, 1999 was the last year Weber made a great grill. They became progressively cheaper after that. That's not to say that a new one doesn't cook well, they do. They just aren't going to last 20 or 30 years. I also have an old 1996 Toro lawnmower that I love and would prefer to never replace. What these two items have in common is that I didn't have the time to properly maintain them when they were new and they both managed to last until I could pay some attention to them.
I sort of agree, however...

Given a choice to have:
A: any genesis x000 or older
B: any three burner silver or gold
C: any 300 series side control (2007 to 2010)
D: a front control E330

Its an easy choice for me. The 330 wins in all areas except:
A: classic styling
B: rotisserie cooks

We all have preferences...

Dan, you definitely have the benefit of a good climate for grills. I imagine the sun is the worst enemy of just about anything where you live. I do still see extremely well preserved examples of the old Genesis models here but nowhere near what you encounter.
Oh for sure snow, year round rain, moisture kills these

I sort of agree, however...

Given a choice to have:
A: any genesis x000 or older
B: any three burner silver or gold
C: any 300 series side control (2007 to 2010)
D: a front control E330

Its an easy choice for me. The 330 wins in all areas except:
A: classic styling
B: rotisserie cooks

We all have preferences...
That's all it is, preference. The way my Genesis 1000 looks is a big part of it. I 100% believe all Weber grills are great at cooking. I even think that the newer ones are probably better than mine at it. The newer ones just aren't built to last, that's all.

That's all it is, preference. The way my Genesis 1000 looks is a big part of it. I 100% believe all Weber grills are great at cooking. I even think that the newer ones are probably better than mine at it.
I will not agree newer ones are better.

The E330 suits my needs better. Not everyone will agree as it may not suit theirs.

The E330 suits my needs better. Not everyone will agree as it may not suit theirs.
You like the way your E330 cooks most things compared to your Silver or 1000? I probably wouldn't mind having a brand new Genesis, I just couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money on all Chinese parts and knowing that it's going to be a rust bucket.

You like the way your E330 cooks most things compared to your Silver or 1000? I probably wouldn't mind having a brand new Genesis, I just couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money on all Chinese parts and knowing that it's going to be a rust bucket.

TL;DR

Yes, for the things I cook on gas I like the E330 better, but I do most of my cooking over coal.

< blah blah blah>

I bought a 2016 E310 for a friend after cooking on their charbroil. It was a bargain, needed a lot of TLC but it turned out nice. I cooked on it once and IMO it was better for dual zone than my Silver B or my Mom's E320 3 burner side control. At this point I hadn't cooked on a 13 bar x000 since the 90s? (my parents used to have one )

Two weeks after buying the E310, an alert popped for an E330 even cheaper than the 310. My first thought was dang, I should have waited for this one, and then a week later the seller dropped the price in half ( they were moving ) and I grabbed it.

It was NG, I converted it to LPG, and for the cooking I do on gas, it crushes the Silver B. The silver B sat in the corner until I decided to add a rotisserie and it became a keeper for that. After collecting one or ten x1000s, I put one in service and its a keeper for now, yet its primary job is rotisserie. Since November 2021, I've used the 1000 four times. 3 times for rotisserie, once for hot dogs.

I've use the E330 about once a week for burgers, salmon burgers, to heat a CI griddle fry fish or to cook something instead of using the oven.

The rest of the time I cook with coal. I bought the summit E6 for it's size and I use the BGE once or twice a week for lower temp cooks or smoking.

The E6 and the BGE are tied for first, and the E330 is the best supporting grill, and the 1000 in in fourth place.

I'm fortunate to have these, and the space to enjoy them all.

TO address the question of the marks on the bars. No they're not a design thing or a defect. It's tooling marks left behind by bad punch press tooling. The Chinese are not the beast with tool and die. So the tooling is uh "primitive". It works though and that's all that is needed

While I could take the new guts out, I have NOT taken the burners out, and those seem likely to fill up with crud from my cleaning of the lid, so I think your advice to take the lid off is right on the money.

I will do that. AND...I can lay it on the ground so I can work on it without reaching so far. (I'm short...only 5' tall.)

I just couldn't wait to put the new guts in there and see if they fit.

🙃

THyde do you use any kind of chemical on the inside? Even Ammonia and water?

Or just the dawn dish soap?
I just use water until the very end. It’s mostly removing big chunks of crud until the end when you get to the steel wool step. Then you can use any kind of soap you want.

I love our NG 2009 E320 side winder it's our daily driver and outside oven. Our 1998 gen 2000 that's been with us for 24 years is semi retired now and only sees occasional cooks or backup for the E320.
The Camp Chef pellet pooper is #2 (pun intended) and the Performer is #3 in use due to the charcoal ban It doesn't get used in the summer. MY newly acquired Jumbo Joe will be replacing the performer as #3 when I get the cart finished for it. as it is more practical for just the two of us. The performer will be used mostly for vortex work for KFC and wings in the fall and winter.
#4 is the gas powered 22 Weber kettle which used to be our chicken cooker is now going to be with our Kettle Pizza attachment our new pizza cooker. On high it will peg the dome thermometer in about five minutes.

TO address the question of the marks on the bars. No they're not a design thing or a defect. It's tooling marks left behind by bad punch press tooling. The Chinese are not the beast with tool and die. So the tooling is uh "primitive". It works though and that's all that is needed
Thanks. So my first impression was correct. Tool marks. The "meant to be that way" was my second thought, but as long as it won't hurt anything, I'm good with it. No idea what it would cost to get these made in USA, if they are even available.

I love our NG 2009 E320 side winder it's our daily driver and outside oven. Our 1998 gen 2000 that's been with us for 24 years is semi retired now and only sees occasional cooks or backup for the E320.
The Camp Chef pellet pooper is #2 (pun intended) and the Performer is #3 in use due to the charcoal ban It doesn't get used in the summer. MY newly acquired Jumbo Joe will be replacing the performer as #3 when I get the cart finished for it. as it is more practical for just the two of us. The performer will be used mostly for vortex work for KFC and wings in the fall and winter.
#4 is the gas powered 22 Weber kettle which used to be our chicken cooker is now going to be with our Kettle Pizza attachment our new pizza cooker. On high it will peg the dome thermometer in about five minutes.

I'm LOVING all these discussions of the different grills and how you use them. I'm envious of the knowledge here....the accessories, which grills are better for what, and how you all have tricked yours out as specialty cooking appliances.

So I'm looking through the forum, and......I don't see a section for Outdoor Kitchens.

Is that somewhere?

I would like to see that, if that's somewhere on the forum.

My search fu is weak. :cry:

Did you finish everything else you were going to do?
I haven't cleaned the lid. Once I do that, and reassemble the front control area, I don't have anything else to do unless I repair/paint the rusty bits in the bottom cabinet.

Tonight I got home at 7:30 after trimming a hedge and weeding a garden/spreading pine straw, so I'm ashamed to say I didn't do anything to the grill. I was just hoping for the new grates cuz....excited to see how they look and feel and fit.

Back