Newbie with an old Genesis--learning to refurb!

We all want to see your new grates. I'm not going to lie to you, scraping the inside of that lid is kind of a pain, at least on the twenty year old grills I've done it on. You will feel like you really accomplished something when you're done, so there's that.

That looks pretty respectable. Oddly enough, I have a pressure washer and never thought to try it on the inside of the lids. That's a good tip Dan.
For a keeper its good enough. For a top dollar sale someone might want to take it apart and clean with oven cleaner.

I think I prefer the seasoned look. The one above was the spider infested one I just picked up. Here's the use I use. Crappy pic at night with a flash.

20220721_215152.jpg

I think I prefer the seasoned look. The one above was the spider infested one I just picked up. Here's the use I use. Crappy pic at night with a flash.

View attachment 55822
Again, looks pretty good to me. I only spend the time scraping my lids because I know I can make them look like new again. I wouldn't bother on one of those lids, it looks good enough. No strips of carbon falling on to your food every time you cook is the goal anyway.

Again, looks pretty good to me. I only spend the time scraping my lids because I know I can make them look like new again. I wouldn't bother on one of those lids, it looks good enough. No strips of carbon falling on to your food every time you cook is the goal anyway.
I Agree. The one I just picked up looked like crap with lots of flakey stuff and spider nests. I think I will season it with canola oil spray and blacken it.

I did that to the inside of my pellet smoker before selling and it looked like seasoned cast iron.

I don't know when the liner was added. My mom's 2009 genesis E320 with side controls does not have a liner. I cleaned hers with a razor blade like I would clean an x000 lid.
Hers is a 2012 front control model if I remember correctly. You're the expert on those here.

Hey C: I hope you're just busy with other things and that the grill is coming along or on pause.

We care about these grills. A lot.

Let us know what you need!

Hey C: I hope you're just busy with other things and that the grill is coming along or on pause.

Had to weed a flower bed today, and spray some roses for fungus and Japanese beetles. Also had to inform that (very good) customer that No, I cannot plant flowers in her containers in Wake Forest colors for her daughter's going away party to law school. Cuz there are no flowers that come in black and old gold. :geek:

So I did nothing to the grill, unfortunately. Plus, it was almost 100 degrees, so I'm moving slower than normal. Hoping tomorrow to clean the lid. I've been reading how y'all handle the different lids. I don't know, but I think mine has a liner. And I think there is some rust on it. The enamel bit is on the outside.

Y'all cross your fingers that the grates come tomorrow. I've been cooking on the tiny hotplate.

I Agree. The one I just picked up looked like crap with lots of flakey stuff and spider nests. I think I will season it with canola oil spray and blacken it.

I did that to the inside of my pellet smoker before selling and it looked like seasoned cast iron.
Dan, you cleaned it first. You used the pressure washer? Then you will spray with canola oil and do what? Cook it on low to blacken it? I like the black look. I just don't want the crud.

Dan, you cleaned it first. You used the pressure washer? Then you will spray with canola oil and do what? Cook it on low to blacken it? I like the black look. I just don't want the crud.
Just pressure wash it. Cook some burgers and the grease will coat it just fine.

Grates are still not here. Tracking info says shipped to day by 8 pm. They've got 70 minutes to get here. I'm not all that hopeful. Never saw UPS come to my house on a Saturday evening. :cry:

So I've got a question.

I've been going through the "accessories" forum, and reading through the threads.

You guys who have gas grills, what are the accessories you like and actually use for your grills (I don't mean just Weber accessories). I mean anything from the maligned "fish baskets" to which tongs you like best, cleaning accessories, etc.

I really have mostly used my grill for high-heat nuclear-level SEAR the outside and cooking of meats, and lower heat cooking of veggies in foil, but I would really like to expand and learn to use the grill better. This requires a-knowledge and b-some accessories, I'm guessing.

ETA: If this info is covered in a forum I haven't found yet, absolutely link me there.

Back