Newbie with an old Genesis--learning to refurb!

For your igniters, make sure there is no corrosion in the battery socket and instal a good battery. It is more likely the electronic module but it could be that the burners are rusted badly and the spark will not jump across through the rust. Happens to the igniter in my RV fridge. Sand the burner to shiny metal under each igniter and make sure the holes in the burners under each igniter are clear.
Yeah, on the igniter, even with all the wires disconnected it will snap snap snap if it is working and if it is snapping, then cleaning may get them working again.

If the igniter doesn't work you can get a complete kit ( non weber brand) on amazon.

Okay here goes.

Some before and afters...some detail shots, some questions...

As much as anything, this grill really needed a good deep cleaning, like the ones I used to do twice a year. So far I have gotten the outside and inside of the cabinet, exterior back and top of the box, and chipped away at some of the rock-like crud inside the firebox.

On the back, lichens were attacking the paint.

lichens attacking paint on back.jpg

Back now:

Back after.jpg

However, lichens are still on the bottom of the back of the firebox. I have to figure out how to get those off if I'm not going to take the whole grill apart (trying to pick my fights here, since I'm new. :sneaky:)

Can you see the lichens on the box through the slots in the back? I need to get those before they eat the paint. Fortunately the back metal still feels smooth. The cast box has more of a rough surface though. I hope it's not damaged.

Back with lichens on box.jpg

Inside box before

Bottom of box July 2022.jpg

Inside after--a little progress, though certainly not perfect. I used a putty knife to kind of chisel the stuff off, and a brass brush to scrape. Ash seems to just appear as soon as I turn my back and cover everything, no matter how much I brush with a softer brush.

Firebox after some cleaning.jpg

Inside of the cabinet looked like this *hangs head* I didn't know all that straw was under there so y'all are seeing the real deal "deck not cleaned up yet this season" me.

☹️

Dan asked if there was rust...but you couldn't really tell...so...

Inside cabinet floor with gunk.jpg

Cleaned up, it's possible to see where the rust is. I'll detail that below. Apologies for the soft focus. I was moving fast. But actually so surprised how good it still is.

Inside cabinet after.jpg

inside cabinet after 2.jpg

For Dan, here are the corners of the doors... once again, it's a little soft. Apologies. That soft focus is hard to look at.

Left side door hinge after clean.jpg

Right side door hinge after.jpg

Okay trouble spots:

That spot by the back wall is rust.

rust by back wall.jpg

Most advanced rust is here: (although I have not looked at the bottom of the cart.)

Rust in tank holder.jpg

Some rust here...makes me worry about the inside of this tube. I want to NOT remove the firebox to get to the medial side of that tube, but I may need to. The tube on the other side of the firebox is the same.

Some rust.jpg

Drip tray thingy has the worst rust of all.

To the member who recommended the razor blade scraper, THANK YOU! I soaked the crud with cleaner, let it set, and the razor peeled it right off! 🎉

Drip tray with rust.jpg

Aluminum grease tray has corrosion. Guessing this is probably not an expensive part to replace if one of those spots turns into a hole. Some of the corrosion is deeper on the back. Unfortunately I didn't get a photo.

Grease pan with corrosion.jpg

so...Before and after of the whole grill, and then some stuff in the lid..

Filthy, sad Weber...

dirty old Weber.jpg

Now has some hope, though a long way to go....

partly cleaned July 16.jpg

So the inside of the lid..

Y'all said this is carbon flaking, not paint. Until I clean the inside of this lid, I won't know if there is rust in there anywhere. I'm hoping that reddish tint is just because I brightened the photo. Other side has similar flaking, but I think more carbon build up. I tend to work from the left. I don't know if that's why there is more grime on the outside of the box, and inside of the lid. I don't use one side of the cooking surfaces more than the other.

lid inside right side.jpg

right side box still needs work.jpg

left side box exterior.jpg

Okay y'all...have at me. Any advice, thoughts, what would you do? How to move forward in the best way?

Dan, did I forget to take photos of anything you wanted?

Also to everyone. I have looked at the links you have posted, but noted some questions others asked about fit for those. Some of the older links in the refurb threads, I can't tell if those are still available or right for me. I've seen several suggestions, but I'm a little confused as to what grates to order, and that's the deal breaker. I can't cook until I get new grates. I will pay for the heavier stainless grates (if I can), and am open to any pros and cons about any of the options.

Once again thanks to all of you.

Yeah, on the igniter, even with all the wires disconnected it will snap snap snap if it is working and if it is snapping, then cleaning may get them working again.

If the igniter doesn't work you can get a complete kit ( non weber brand) on amazon.

At this point (no disassembly yet) when I push the igniter button, there is no snap. I am assuming that means it's bad, but I'll show y'all once I get in there.

Great pics. The trouble spots do not look bad at all.

lower front hinge points and the bottom inside shelf are the two trouble spots I've seen. Yours has a little surface rust and is easily fixed.

What are your plans and timeline? You could order some parts and be cooking on it this week, and then in the fall, tear it down to repaint the frame, and cookbox.

If it were mine, that's what I would do. Get the grill working well, and later this year plan a week or two to paint and handle the rust.

Or tear it all down now.

Lid comes off removing the cotter key and the hinge pin.
Control panel manifold and burner removal is above.
Shelves come off with two bolts each side.
Cookbox is held in with two bolts.

If you can find paint you could have it painted fairly quickly. In fact, I would try to find the paint first and have it in your hands. I've had challenges finding the paint. I ordered some and the order was later cancelled.

Great pics. The trouble spots do not look bad at all.

lower front hinge points and the bottom inside shelf are the two trouble spots I've seen. Yours has a little surface rust and is easily fixed.

What are your plans and timeline? You could order some parts and be cooking on it this week, and then in the fall, tear it down to repaint the frame, and cookbox.

If it were mine, that's what I would do. Get the grill working well, and later this year plan a week or two to paint and handle the rust.

Or tear it all down now.

Lid comes off removing the cotter key and the hinge pin.
Control panel manifold and burner removal is above.
Shelves come off with two bolts each side.
Cookbox is held in with two bolts.

If you can find paint you could have it painted fairly quickly. In fact, I would try to find the paint first and have it in your hands. I've had challenges finding the paint. I ordered some and the order was later cancelled.

Is this paint for the metal cabinet you are saying is hard to find?

That's actually less onerous to take apart than I imagined. Honestly the control panel and dealing with that sounds a lot harder. I need to figure out what doesn't work so I can order all at once and get free shipping. That means dealing with that control panel, knobs, igniters, etc, NOW. If I had my act together, since I can't cook on it anyhow, I would sand and paint while it's down and I'm waiting for parts. I don't know if I can manage all that or not.

I had to buy a six pack of the Massey Ferguson last year.

Looks like Grainger has the VHT in stock. It is no longer in stock on amazon.

Cassondra, you are doing a great job cleaning up that grill and I would not worry about the little bit of rust that you found right now. I would just concentrate on cleaning the rest of it up as best you can and getting it working again. You can always deal with rust and repainting later. Just my two cents, but I would probably order a new set of knobs for it while I'm at it since the rest of the grill looks so nice again.

Okay y'all I'm trying to get into the front panel. Do the knobs just pull off? I'm afraid to force them without knowing for sure.

You can even smear a little vaseline on those tiny rust spots, it will keep it from getting worse until you have time to properly address the rust. That said, you have VERY minimal rust compared to some grills people deal with on here. I'm sure they are jealous!
That's a great idea with the vaseline. I did realize as I was cleaning that maybe I have less rust BECAUSE of the grime. It did not seem overly greasy inside the cabinet but I know there probably was some, and that's a rust inhibitor at least.

Back