Newbie with an old Genesis--learning to refurb!

let's start with burners.

remove the doors. You don't have to, but it gets them out of the way so they don't get damaged.

There is a little clip inside the door on the upper hinge to pull the top pivot down. a small screwdriver works.

remove the wind screen on the bottom of the control panel. two Philips screws from the bottom. get a zip lock and put the screws in it:)

remove the knobs, and then you'll have them off making them easier to clean.
unscrew the igniter button cap

Unscrew the control panel ( stainless part with the markings on it)
Lift out the control panel and unplug the three wires going into the igniter box.
Set the control panel aside, and you'll be able to either repair or replace the igniter later.

It will now look sort of like this ( I have a fourth burner so mine looks a little different )

View attachment 55461

Then unbolt the manifold ( hex screws into the ziplock... )

You don't have to remove it, you can leave it sort of hanging but now it is easy to get the burners out without removing the screws in the cookbox.

So, to get to these igniters, I have to pull the burners? It looks like it.

OMG. Found another video. I'm such a visual person, watching this guy do this is a huge help.

It's amazing what you can find with a search, once you know what grill you actually have. :LOL: Duh on me.🥴

replacing igniters

I love reading your commentary and play-by-play notes, lol. And your progress is immensely impressive. Since I have no experience refurbing this is all I can offer :confused:

Okey dokey got a question.

I have no idea whether my igniters are actually bad. Maybe it was just the battery that was bad. (I forgot it had a battery. I know y'all even mentioned the battery, but I"ve been a bit overwhelmed with this. I apologize. Don't hate me.)😢

So...MAYBE my igniters are not bad. Honestly though times are not what they were a year ago, I'm tempted to just buy new igniters anyway, as part of the refurb. I doubt there's a way to tell whether they are good or not, given that I have this thing apart.

Cassondra's first dumb move of the refurb. 💩

Okey dokey got a question.

I have no idea whether my igniters are actually bad. Maybe it was just the battery that was bad. (I forgot it had a battery. I know y'all even mentioned the battery, but I"ve been a bit overwhelmed with this. I apologize. Don't hate me.)😢

So...MAYBE my igniters are not bad. Honestly though times are not what they were a year ago, I'm tempted to just buy new igniters anyway, as part of the refurb. I doubt there's a way to tell whether they are good or not, given that I have this thing apart.

Cassondra's first dumb move of the refurb. 💩
even with the wires disconnected, put a battery in and if it goes click, click, then the igniter box is good, and then you may just need to clean the electrodes as was suggested earlier.

If it doesn't click, click, click, then try cleaning the battery terminals. I used 220 sandpaper taped to a pencil on one and it fired right up.

Use a new AA battery.

More serious question:

Since I have a problem with the heat control, is removing the burners a thing? Is there something in that little mesh-like section (which I assume is the air feed) that should be disassembled and inspected?

even with the wires disconnected, put a battery in and if it goes click, click, then the igniter box is good, and then you may just need to clean the electrodes as was suggested earlier.

If it doesn't click, click, click, then try cleaning the battery terminals. I used 220 sandpaper taped to a pencil on one and it fired right up.

Use a new AA battery.
Well, holy smokes. It goes click click, and there is spark at every one of the connections. So....time for cleaning the little sharp points on each igniter, which I assume actually arc and ignite the gas.

For reference if you have a tractor supply near you they sell paint that is nearly a perfect match for the paint on your floor pan. Massey Ferguson grey. As mentioned before. They used to sell it in rustoleum farm and implement paint but now it's some third party brand I have no comment on how it looks. I know the rustoleum stuff was basically exact with a minor difference in gloss. I used to to repaint my entire Genesis grill and also used it to refurbish a couple of grills just like yours

Use a new AA battery.
Aren't you supposed to be in the pool, instead of helping me?

More serious question:

Since I have a problem with the heat control, is removing the burners a thing? Is there something in that little mesh-like section (which I assume is the air feed) that should be disassembled and inspected?
best not to mess with the screens on the burners. They are probably set correctly.

If your burners look like this they are fine.

20220714_154438.jpg

For reference if you have a tractor supply near you they sell paint that is nearly a perfect match for the paint on your floor pan. Massey Ferguson grey. As mentioned before. They used to sell it in rustoleum farm and implement paint but now it's some third party brand I have no comment on how it looks. I know the rustoleum stuff was basically exact with a minor difference in gloss. I used to to repaint my entire Genesis grill and also used it to refurbish a couple of grills just like yours
I do have TSC and am there at least once a week. Thank you!

Back