Newbie question #1: Replenishing the fuel

Petra Z

TVWBB Member
Well, it does say no question too basic, so here goes!

Adding fuel/coals for longer cooks: How do I do this? I have a WSM 18.5" and I've only done relatively short cooks (chicken, turkey) so I've not had to replenish the fuel yet. How do I do that? Just open the door and use tongs to add the unlit coals?

Also, do some recipes call for replenishing with LIT coals? If so, how does one do that? The door is too small to accommodate a chimney. Would you have to remove the water pan, top and middle parts of the smoker and then add them? How quickly will the temperatures come back?

I'm asking because I am ready to venture into longer cooks and I've not found this information (perhaps I'm not using the right search terms). Any help is greatly appreciated!

Petra

Do not add "Lit" coals. Only unlit. Just open the door and throw in a couple hand fulls. If you're only doing one pork shoulder or butt though, you shouldn't have to re-fuel. Just fill the entire ring and dump half lit chimney starter on top. You should be fine. You using Lump or briquettes?

The goal is not to refuel. As Chuck points out, Fill the ring full! In fact, pile it up - overfil it. Keep the WSM out of the wind and you should have no problem doing a butt. I've never had to refill. If by chance the fuel does run out, you should be so close to done that I would just move to the oven. However, you asked and if I had to add fuel, I would do it one of two ways. The first best way IMHO would be to add unlit long before the fire starts to go out. I would add a little at a time with tongs so as not to stir the ash. The second way is not recommended and especially not safe if you are using water. Take the middle section off and throw a chimney of unlit in. If the fire is close to being out, throw a 1/2 chimney of lit in there.

Again, none of this is fun. Fill the ring and get a good 12-18 hours out of a ring.

It's a slight pain but take the time to layer your briquettes,pack them instead of just dumping them.This gives you a slower burn IMHO.Works for me anyway.

Petra, here's a link to a thread and Tim Audus has a slick device, with pictures, for replenishing fuel. There's good info in the thread.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
The goal is not to refuel. As Chuck points out, Fill the ring full! In fact, pile it up - overfil it. Keep the WSM out of the wind and you should have no problem doing a butt. I've never had to refill. If by chance the fuel does run out, you should be so close to done that I would just move to the oven. However, you asked and if I had to add fuel, I would do it one of two ways. The first best way IMHO would be to add unlit long before the fire starts to go out. I would add a little at a time with tongs so as not to stir the ash. The second way is not recommended and especially not safe if you are using water. Take the middle section off and throw a chimney of unlit in. If the fire is close to being out, throw a 1/2 chimney of lit in there.

Again, none of this is fun. Fill the ring and get a good 12-18 hours out of a ring. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What Jerry says^^^.
Regarding "overfilling", I'd add that if you can locate the charcoal pan that goes in cheap Brinkman water smokers, you can pack in at least another layer of briqs, and still have more than an adequate supply of water to get you through the night on a long cook. I got mine from Academy Sports for about $5. Just don't get the Brinkman WATER pan, since it's too small in diameter.

Back