Newbie Failing With Beef "Grilling" Ribs. Terrible Taste Today

TJStanley

Hi there.

New WSM 18.5" owner here (about 5-6 cooks).

Made pork ribs a couple times using Malcom Reed's "Malcom Style" Rib recipe on the WSM and they turned out absolutely fantastic. Got compliments all around.

Last two cooks I did beef "grilling" ribs. Disclaimer: They were not the plate, i.e. the 3 largest rib bones or "dino bones" as some may call them. They were called "grilling" ribs on the packaging. They have a lot less meat on them, cheaper, bones are way shorter and the bones aren't straight like on the plate and some are all bunched up together making them real hard to cut.

Tried sticking to most instructional videos on youtube for beef rib smokes (even though I didn't have the plate). 2 - 2 1/2 hours on the smoker around 250-260F, kept them moist, then wrapped and back on the smoker for another 1-2 hours. Then finish them off in the cooler for around an hour. Side note for today's cook I tried no water in the waterpan and did not wrap it in foil and was using Kingsford briquettes for the first time as opposed to Royal natural lump as I usually do.

Well, the ribs today tasted absolutely disgusting. Terrible taste of dirty, dirty smoke embedded into the meat, could taste the mustard binder, and the meat was extremely tough. To make it all worse, my neighbors who I can usually overhear saying things like "it smells great over there" in reference to my bbq had their in-laws over today and I could over hear the father-in-law say "it smells like a grass fire".. Really hit home when he said that. I immediately added some water into the water pan and it seemed to fix the smell and dirty smoke.

TLDR:
-Made a couple terrible batches of Beef "grilling" ribs.
-Reason I think they turned out bad was because I didn't use any water in a no-foil pan.
-Also tried cooking them as if they were plate ribs but they were much smaller than plate.

Trying the keep my morale high despite this. My pork ribs turned out so well so I know I can make good BBQ. Any tips and recommendations are very appreciated.

Last edited:
Generally I find beef ribs with lots of fat and little meat which is also tough. So, I only smoke Pork Ribs on my WSM which are generally Baby Backs using Kingsford Charcoal and a few chunks of smoke-wood at a temperature around 250F.

Oh, I have been practicing the above BBQ method since the time I bought my new 18" WSM "Classic" in the year 2008. I can't count the times that my ribs came out lousy but I kept at-it in which I now can produce some tasty rib morsels on a consistent basis thanx to this Website, Youtube, BBQ and Grilling Cookbooks,Weber Products,SnS Products, etc, etc.

Last edited:
I agree with Chris, it was probably the burned fat.

Those smaller beef ribs that you described, (in spite of the description on the packaging), are much more suitable for braising and slow cooking on the stove and oven. If you're going to smoke beef ribs, try the meatier cuts and/or the beef "short" ribs.

It's just that the ribs were too small. If you try the same method, with larger, meatier cuts, they should turn out just fine. I would skip the foil too.

Note: I don't wrap beef ribs, (make's 'em mushy), and this is one where I prefer temps on the lower end of the spectrum, between 225-240. I pull them off the smoker when the internal temp hits 200-203 (probe tender). My average cook time on them is around 5 hours. Most of the ones that I've smoked tend to be in the 1"-1/2" range. The thicker the rib, the longer the cook time.

Oh, did I mention, "skip the foil?" ;)

Hope this helps!

I agree with Rick about the type of rib you are smoking. You need either a plate rib or a short rib for beef. The other cuts have generally been picked clean for ribeye steaks. Full disclosure, I have not yet tried beef ribs on the WSM but have smoked them on my Weber Kettle using a snake charcoal setup and rock solid 250* Temps. Each time it was salt n pepper only. After the bark set I sprayed with apple juice every hour. At 4 hours I took the ribs off the smoke and put them in a tin foil pan with about a half cup of juice in the bottom and foiled the top. I pulled once they felt tender generally around the 203 - 205 mark. I also let them rest for about an hour. They turned out great! Incredibly rich.

How did you light and manage your fire this time?

It could have been burned fat in the pan creating that smell and "dirty smoke
Did it as I usually do; minion method but this time I switched to Kingsford Briquettes vs. Royal natural lump charcoal. I make a divot in the firebox and put a wax starter in it. Fill a charcoal chimney 3/4 of the way over top of the wax cube and after they are all glowing I pour most of them into the divot and the rest all around the ring. Then I wait for the WSM to hit 200F and I throw in a couple pieces of cherry wood and two halves of an onion.

I’m almost positive it was the no water and burning fat in the pan that caused the smell.

Back