New Years Eve Pig roast on a Ranch rotisserie

Hats off to you! Great job and effort. Thank you for the details. My first cook was two pigs. To much less success. I have some understanding of what you had to do. I did make a cover so it would be closer to an oven than a grill, but i got nothing on you. Nice job

Hats off to you! Great job and effort. Thank you for the details. My first cook was two pigs. To much less success. I have some understanding of what you had to do. I did make a cover so it would be closer to an oven than a grill, but i got nothing on you. Nice job
Thank you Tony.
I searched the web, but did not find much on cooking a whole pig on a WRK roti. Lots of china boxes, open pits and cinder block cookers with lids.

I filled two notebook pages with notes from various web pages and went for it.

I can’t imagine cooking two pigs as a first cook. Have you cooked pigs since your first attempt?

Cheers

Last edited:
Very Nice RJ! Lotsa (hard) work you put into this "cook"! Quite Amazing! Thank you for sharing your experience and photos with us!! VeryCool!! (y)

I would have loved to have been able to be there. No matter the outcome the whole thing from start to finish looked to be a blast! Thanks for the write up and pictures.

Thank you Tony.
I searched the web, but did not find much on cooking a whole pig on a WRK roti. Lots of china boxes, open pits and cinder block cookers with lids.

I filled two notebook pages with notes from various web pages and went for it.

I can’t imagine cooking two pigs as a first cook. Have you cooked pigs since your first attempt?

Cheers
No I actually have not cooked another one. It was my first cook. Two back-to-back. I had a timeline and the schedule said I had to start right then. The second one would have to start right when the first was done. I had no idea how to do it. If I ever did another I would be better prepared. It was crazy. I had no idea how to set it up or even the simplest thing, but when forced we got it done.

Found some stainless electric fence wire in an old barn, some chicken fence, and some foil. Tied then made a cover or top to form an oven. Still no idea what to do. Your write up was great. Would love to hear from experts some more styles. I know a place that has a whole indoor room oven and they do lamb as well.
Thanks

Last edited:
I’ve done large format tank roasted pigs dozens of times but, this is a really great idea for under 100 people!
And it’s an elegant presentation!

I would have loved to have been able to be there. No matter the outcome the whole thing from start to finish looked to be a blast! Thanks for the write up and pictures.

Thank you
I’m glad you liked the pictures, I forget most of the time to take pics. Stay tuned for my Super Bowl cook.
Cheers

Thinks to self: Self, I already have three kettles, two WSMs, and a Genesis gasser, there's really no compelling reason why I should want a Ranch kettle too. Then self reads this thread and drools....

Back