New Year's Diet :(

Erik,

I'm with you on the biggest loser. I was telling my wife that the show is fairly inaccurate because a scale alone is not a good measure of weight loss. I went on to say that I'd starve myself and cut as much water weight I could before the weigh in (ah the wrestler in me comes out). Then I remember that I'll need to gain about 150 pounds before I'll make the show..... pulled pork and bacon anybody?

In all reality they should have hyrdostatic weigh-ins to get a base line and then body-fat calipers for when their girth is small enough to be measure with it.

But hey what do I know, oh yeah I'm a certified body fat tester (no kidding here)
icon_razz.gif

Josh

My apolgies to all... it looks like I'm ignorant as stated by two previous posters. Not only am I guilty of being ignorant,but it would seem that those foolish folk at the American Heart Association are too.

American Heart Associations Opinion on High Protien Diets

This article addresses many of the things talked about here including but not limited to: water weight loss on high protien diets, risk of liver and kidney damage, and lack of proper balance of nutrition.

Take your information from where you will, but I think that american heart is a fine place to start.

I'm feeling a bit more informed, researched, and oh yeah foolish baby!

Enjoy,
Josh

dude, just let it die. not all low carb diets are high protien diets. south beach is a low carb low fat/protien diet. you seem to think that atkins is the only low carb diet in the world
icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Chips:

Both of these statements are false and quite ignorant... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's pretty strong language there, Tom.

It is irresponsible, I would say, to promote what is a controversial diet "plan" and then pooh-pooh the possible side effects.

Here is what I found with just a quick web search: The American Heart Association states: "Individuals who follow these diets are therefore at risk for compromised vitamin and mineral intake, as well as potential cardiac, renal [kidney], bone, and liver abnormalities overall."

Obviously, a guy would talk to his doctor before starting a questionable diet such as Atkins or other low-carb.

Good day.

My previous link said nothing of atkins, but of high-protien diet.

Included in this link is a review from the American Dietetic Association on both South Beach and Atkins.

Review of Diets

Now maybe I'd let it die, but I'm as foolish as I am ignorant
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_eek.gif

Enjoy,
Josh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Josh Z.:

Now maybe I'd let it die, but I'm as foolish as I am ignorant
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_eek.gif

Enjoy,
Josh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude, so what that other guy has been writing about you is true then?
icon_rolleyes.gif

I just had a thought - if we keep having this stupid back and forth our number of posts will skyrocket to, like, 1,200 lickety-split.

this thread really should fade away. i was just telling michele that there was a low-carb option, i wasn't trying to start a big debate over what diet or "lifestyle" is the right one. for every article or study you find one could be found that says the exact opposite. my dr was actually the one to recommend me reading both the south beach and atkins books, but she knows my physical status and what not.

Tony,

You're not all bad. You only insinuated that I had no clue/wasn't educated on what I was talking about (ignorant), not ignorant and foolish. Plus you posted a nice post on the other thread, so I consider it wash.

Josh

your both smarter and better lookin then me, now head over to talk bacon in my thread in ingredients section!
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Josh Z.:
But hey what do I know, oh yeah I'm a certified body fat tester (no kidding here)
icon_razz.gif

Josh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you really? I have a few questions I would like to ask, if you don't mind answering. Let me know and I'll swing by an email. Thanks.

Erik

This is the only heated argument I've had on this forum since I've joined. So for the sake of making peace with EVERYONE, I will yield, and we can all let this crap die down.

Josh Z. I agree with as many of your points as I disagree with others you make. I too have seen hundreds of people drop insane amounts of weight doing Atkins, then balloon up beyond their pre diet weight within months of stopping the diet. If I recall correctly, the guy who had a show on Food Network that was really popular for about 3 months, the guy who lost like 230 lbs, and his entire family each lost a hundred or so pounds doing Atkins style dieting; his show got cancelled partially due to the fact that he rebounded and put back on a great majority of his weight. That and the fad nature of the diet was dying down.

Fads aren't a cure, changing your lifestyle is what will impact your health.

My diet consists of various proteins, protein powder shakes for a quick meal, lots of nuts, olive oil, salads, broccoli, some cheeses at times, and eggs. I do take high quality vitamin and mineral supplements (USANA) but I did that before the diet, so it's not due to the diet I'm on. A baby aspirin and some fish oil caps round out the supplementation.

This plus increasing my exercise level has changed my overall fitness. I agree that sitting on your bum, eating nothing but pork rinds bacon, cheese and whipping cream mixed with pudding mix, isn't a recipe for good health. Diets too restricted like these can lead to malnutrition. And yes, if you don't know if you have an underlying kidney disorder,then you wont know if your hurting your body until you find yourself becoming ill. And it is unwise to change diets without talking to your doctor first, but like Tony said, many doctors are now highly recommending a low carb/high protein diet because when used properly, along with exercise it does work.

And although the American Heart Association is full of very well educated well meaning individuals, let's not forget that they were the main body pushing low fat dieting for the last 20 years, that has done nothing but promote poor health and food choices. Since the early 80's, we've seen "Low Fat" plastered on everything, from cakes to cookies. With every product that has fat removed from it, it is usually replaced by high fructose corn syrup, or other nasties.

The key to damn near everything is moderation. I will not be eating solely protein and fat my whole life either. One of the reasons I find this diet more effective is that I find protein more satiating, and thus, I eat less. My daily amount of fat intake is relatively normal or perhaps on the low side. I eat 2 eggs about twice a week, and they aren't nearly as unhealthy as we were previously told they were. And the rest of my fat intake comes from two cheddar cheese sticks eaten throughout the day. Each one of those only have 4.5 grams of saturated fat.

I'm laying down my sword, because I'm not on this forum to make any enemies. This has been a friendly community for people who love to BBQ and that's what matters. So Josh, I have personally offended you, and I am sorry. Lets move on and let it die.

Tom,

I really hope this works out for you. I will let this die, but I'd like you to know as you put down your sword that you were dueling with someone who is FAR from ingnorant. While I might not be a docter (yet) I have put in hours of study and have a Masters Degree in Kinesiology with plenty of physiology and nutrition to go with that. I'm sorry you felt I was stepping on toes, but I have a hard time letting things pass that I'm pretty sure that I'm not ignorant or foolish about.

While this may be your first time in a heated debate I have read a lot, (not all 1k+) of your posts, but I find a great deal of them to be less than helpful and a bit snarky/snide, so I am surprised that no one else has gotten on you before. Now if you will accept that insult/truth/semi-truth, then I will accept you calling me ignorant and foolish on a public forum for no other reason than posting possible side effects (supported by the American Heart Association) to a diet.

If you will consider this issue put down in a big pile of mashed potatoes (gotta love those starches), so will I.

Good day,
Josh

Back on topic with the ideas, I think smoking and/or grilling is a great way to add flavor. I too have had some of biggest compliments on Salmon. Turkey came out great. Here's another off the wall idea... go HUNTING! Venison has the same fat is chicken, but when properly prepared, as good or better than any beef steak you've had! I have not tried smoking a lot of it yet, but did a smoked meatloaf a couple of weeks ago that was great, and healthy!

I appreciate the ideas as I too need to lose.

Bruce, we are neighbors!
I blame my weight on my bottomless pit. The diet starts soon but talk is cheap. it is easy to say diet when there isnt brisket in your mouth.

I think we need a poll to determine the average weight of members of this board. Ten pound increments. What the heck, there was one on age why not poundage?

Hi Neighbor to Dale! I'm with you on blaming the bottomless pit plus sitting at work all day. On the survey, HAH! not sure if that is funny or scary!

Michele,
Diets don't work.....Lifestyle changes DO. Change what you eat, how much and how often you eat it. Don't deprive yourself if you want pulled pork or brisket, just moderate it.

With that said, there are ALOT of low fat, lean meats you can cook on the WSM or other grill. Here are a list of examples of what I typically eat and they will also be a part of my 'Lifestyle' change in 2009! Hope this helps and gives you ideas! Good luck!

Reverse Seared Eye of Round #1, Reverse Seared Eye of Round #2
Nutrional Information Per 4oz - 184 Calories, Sat Fat <1g, Cholesterol 60mg, Carb 0.

Grilled Pork Tenderloin #1, Grilled Pork Tenderloin #2, Grilled Pork Tenderloin #3
Nutrional Information Per 4oz - 160 Calories, Sat Fat <1g, Cholesterol 80mg, Carb 0

Smoked Pulled Turkey #1, Smoked Pulled Turkey #2
Nutrional Information Per 4oz natural turkey white meat - 128 Calories, Sat Fat 0g, Cholesterol 68mg, Carb 0.

Reverse Seared London Broil #1, Reverse Seared London Broil #2, Reverse Seared London Broil #3
Nutrional Information Per 4oz - 184 Calories, Sat Fat <1g, Cholesterol 60mg, Carb 0.

Reverse Seared Pit Beef #1, Reverse Seared Pit Beef #2, Reverse Seared Pit Beef #3, Reverse Seared Pit Beef #4

Obviously most of the sides in the pictures will not be part of the normal low cal meal. Hope this helps with ideas!

Back