New Year's Diet :(

michele p

TVWBB Pro
OK, I admit that I have been over indulging in delicious BBQ since I got my WSM, a year ago.
Well, looks like it has caught up with me
icon_redface.gif

I am now looking to start a weight loss program for the new year, but I don't want to give up smoking.

Anyone have any relatively lo-fat options besides turkey for the WSM?

Just my 2 cents Michele,
You don't have to change anything. Eat smaller portions, use less sugars and sauces. Easy for me to say, huh? Oh, and one more thing, stop looking at Larry Wolfe's posts.
icon_biggrin.gif

Michele,

There are plenty of low fat pork options out there if you work a bit at it you can come up with some great recipes.

I'm thinking something like pork loin chops or making canadian bacon from pork loin. With todays pork if you trim the fat off a loin it is pretty low fat. HEck you can even go with pork tenderloin.

I'll take it that chicken is included when you say turkey
icon_biggrin.gif

When my wife went on a diabetic diet for her pregnency due to gestational diabetes her portion counter counted lamb as a lean meat. I could see some delecious smoked lamb hitting your plate!

With these low fat cuts you might have to do a different cook than you are used to to get good results, but you can still smoke your pork chops on high heat and come up with a good smokey chops.

Good luck and I hope these ideas help.
Josh

Other then the obvious "just eat less"... I think that you can still do lots of smoking on a healthy diet.

Clearly all the appetizers we make are heart stoppers... between bacon and cheese I pretty much think these become a "once in a while" thing.
But that said, meat wise I think you can just look to poultry and leaner cuts. You might have to go with higher heats to avoid drying, but I have turned out some amazing roasts on my WSM. You can play with marinades to add flavour without fat and they also add a healthy bit of moisture to help ward off drying.

No reason to stop cooking... but sadly I think the days of stuffing oneself with briskets and butts might be over if it's resolution time. I believe I have one week left before my significant other tells me its fruit and veggie time!! A week without meat is tough, but after the holidays I might need the cleanse!! haha

you could go low carb and still eat ABT's and pulled pork as long as you use no sugar or at the very least splenda sugar in your rubs and sauces. that is my plan of attack for next year. i had success with it a few years ago but started eating pizza and breads again
icon_frown.gif
i'm going to try and stick with it this time including a regular excercise schedule.

Michele,

I’ve had my WSM for a little over two months now, and have cooked 4 pork butts/shoulders, 6 beer can chickens, 4 racks of spares, 2 rib tips, a dozen sausages, 2 prime ribs, 3 racks of baby backs, as well as half a dozen grilled filets and New Yorks, and four halved chickens, while being on Weight Watchers. During this time, I’ve lost 15 pounds, so it can be done. I am also diabetic and have stayed within the acceptable blood sugar parameters during this time. You just have to eat in moderation and budget the calories of your other meals for the day. Good luck!

p.s. I also bake my own pizzas once a week and bake my own sourdough.

Do what I've done, drop the carbs, not the fat. I have dropped 62 lbs since October 1, doing that. I get to eat all the BBQ I want, just no sugary sauces. Not meaning to toot my own horn, just sharing what has worked for me.

michele has asked for lo-fat so I gave lo-fat.

I'm not a believer of the atkins or whatever they call it these days.

Problem #1: As soon as you get off of the diet, and everybody seems to at some point you baloon right back up because your body is starved for carbs and latches on to every carb it can.

Problem #2: Its very tough on your kidneys. If you've had kidney stones, and I have, you'd find a new diet!

Now is there a balance to find I would say yes. If you eat a the diabetic diet, or something close you won't eat too many carbs, too much fat and from everybody I've seen who has been on it you lose weight.

The best part is, its healthy and exceedingly easy to stay on once you get the hange of it. I don't think you can find too many "experts" who will tell you the diabetic diet/or something close to it is bad for you.

And dont' forget the time proven calories burned > calories eaten = weight loss. Harder to do for most of us, but important none the less.

Josh

My two cents.

Salmon! I cater and get more compliments on salmon than anything else! Also, try scallops, whitefish, nuts, cornish hens. I cook alot of BBQ, but hardly ever eat it! If yoy really want to ruin your taste for the stuff, do it for money!!! That is why I bought the WSM. To get some fun back in it! Good luck. Woodman

Dave,

Good call on the salmon. Not sure how I forgot it, but I did.

I'm kind of with Dave on the cooking BBQ. I used to chow down at every cook, but now it seems that the people who don't get it all the time enjoy it more than I do so I still get to eat a little and the joy of making others happy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Josh Z.:
michele has asked for lo-fat so I gave lo-fat.

I'm not a believer of the atkins or whatever they call it these days.

Problem #1: As soon as you get off of the diet, and everybody seems to at some point you baloon right back up becuase your body is starved for carbs and latches on to every carb it can.

Problem #2: Its very tough on your kidneys. If you've had kidney stones, and I have you'd find a new diet!

Now is there a balance to find I would say yes. If you eat a the diabetic diet, or something close you won't eat too many carbs, too much fat and from everybody I've seen who has been on it you lose weight.

The best part is, its healthy and exceedingly easy to stay on once you get the hange of it. I don't think you can find too many "experts" who will tell you the diabetic diet/or something close to it is bad for you.

And dont' forget the time proven calories burned > calories eaten = weight loss. Harder to do for most of us, but important none the less.

Josh

My two cents. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmm. a 10 year study on low carb dieting(atkins,south beach, etc.) just debunked the kidney myth as well as the cholestrol and a few other myths. but yes if you start carb loading again you will gain all the weight back plus more. everyone has their method and they pretty much all work. it's just a matter of what you want or don't want to give up to get to the end result.

Tony, If you have data on "debunking" of the kidney myth I'd appreciate it if you would forward it to my email address listed in my profile, please. It worked wonders for me several years ago then I found out I have Polycystic kidney disease and that pretty much threw the option of that diet out the window.

I too am planing on some changes in the New Year, more chicken, fish, smaller portions, less booze and getting back to the gym. Mostly common sense stuff but the low carb sure does work for me, damn kidneys . . .

I almost hate to involve myself, but if no one minds and w/ respect to all opinions (really) my girlfriend watches some show called "Biggest Loser" , lol. I use to walk around and feel fortunate to have a healthy body, etc. (whatever you would say but both of us do so far), and if that show is for real (I think it is, unlike some of those drama, "real tv" b.s. shows
icon_wink.gif
) then just getting out and actually exercising (sp?) seems to do the trick no matter what kind of 'bloodline' or bla bla, whatever it is you have. I had a coach in high school that drilled me on that and I hated him. well I dont hate him anymore. In the summer I hike like three miles into this darn fishing hole I like (and ussually catch squat
icon_biggrin.gif
) uphill at high elevations (and many more things just like this)...I dont love it (well, i kinda do) but I know its good for me and I like to think of it as a "pass" on my eating, of course maybe when I hit thirty it will catch up w/ me (my eating) but I really really really don't think so, cause I CHOOSE to not let it.... or like ALL of the really good suggestions up above those all sound great too. Maybe it depends on your surroundings and what type of person/and lifestyle you live, and like that coach had said and most important to me personally, work ethic. hope you the best Michele!! good luck, hope your Christmas was great.
*thought i would add this, sorry I def. don't know a lot of technical health info, etc. I read quoted from you "I am now looking to start a weight loss program for the new year, but I don't want to give up smoking." I've thought that I wouldn't want to give up smoking and eating either so that was all I could think for myself, was just hoping to share my thoughts, if you have certain conditions it may not apply, just don't want to waste your time.
I've just seen many people JUST "lose weight" through hard work, excercise, etc. That was my plan if needed someday, and i'll continue it. but im also lucky enough to have a somewhat "workout" for a job too.

Debunked or not debunked reason #2 is just gravy (can you eat that on the atkins\low carb diet?)in my book.

Reason #1 is all I need. I'd recommend a lifestyle change you can sustain instead of a "diet".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Tony, If you have data on "debunking" of the kidney myth I'd appreciate it if you would forward it to my email address listed in my profile, please. It worked wonders for me several years ago then I found out I have Polycystic kidney disease and that pretty much threw the option of that diet out the window.

I too am planing on some changes in the New Year, more chicken, fish, smaller portions, less booze and getting back to the gym. Mostly common sense stuff but the low carb sure does work for me, damn kidneys . . . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'll look for it on msnbc.com. i'm sure thats where the article was i read a few months ago.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Josh Z.:
Debunked or not debunked reason #2 is just gravy (can you eat that on the atkinds diet?)in my book.

Reason #1 is all I need. I'd recommend a lifestyle change you can sustain instead of a "diet". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

atkins is not the only low-carb"lifestyle"

oh, and larry, i was mistaken. the myth that low carb dieting caused kidney disease was debunked. if you already have kidney problems it's not a good idea unless you eat low protien fats.

My urologist, yeah at age 22 I had a urologist, he recommended cutting down the ammount of meat I ate (pretty much thats all I ate) because I was getting kidney stones.

Heres a clip from a website. Kidney stones

"While certain foods that are high in protein, such as meat, may encourage formation of kidney stones, this mainly occurs in people who are susceptible to this condition. If you are not prone to kidney stones because of genetic factors, medical conditions, or other reasons, it is unlikely that eating any specific food will cause you to develop kidney stones."

So maybe atkins isn't tough on the kidneys for everybody, but it will only take one kindey stone to cause you enough pain that you'd wish you hadn't. Or if it get stucks and requires surgery like mine did a 40k+ surgery should convince you.

Food for thought.

Josh

I don’t know what for about “studies”, but, from life experience, when you are morbidly obese and have high cholesterol, hypertension, high blood pressure, and then you get diabetes, and the thought of going blind, kidney damaged, heart damage, nerve damage to your extremities often leading to gangrene and amputations, etc., kinda scares the $hit out of you, mor so than dying. I’ve been a fata$$ since about age 24 (40 years ago) and have been on all the fad diets over the years. I lost 60 lbs on the no/low carb diets and gained 100 back. I did the powdered drinks until I farted dust. I’ve done Jenny Craig and Nutrisystem, but after 4 months if TV dinners, you get sick of it. According to the nutrition info from the Diabetes Association, exercise and eating a balanced meal of healthy food is what they recommend. Weight Watchers recommends the same thing. When I compared the two programs, they are essentially the same. Weight Watchers is the only eating regimen recommended by my health plan for losing weight. So WW is for me. Yesterday I bought a pair of levies, size 40 waist, because my size 48’s were so baggy that my kid said it looked like I $hit by pants and was carrying a load. I’ve lost 71 lbs and have 90 to go, bit, I EAT Q, PIZZA and SOURDOUGH on a regular basis.

man that was funny, you seem like you have good humor and I like that. good info, too. real glad your doin a good job, your workin hard and def. earning it, and sounds like you have great kids...damn im still laughin.

Back