New Year's Diet :(

The main thing to stress when debating a high protein low carb diet is that the only people that are susceptible are those that have an underlying kidney disease, and not all those will develop problems.

The Atkins ( or whatever you want to label it) can easily be adapted once a goal weight is acheived. For me, that will include adding back in more and various fruits and vegetables. Maintaining a healthy exercise routine, and still avoiding concentrated sweets and junk food.

I have more energy than ever, and find exercise to be easy and even relaxing, and I think that is key to maintaining my progress.

We as a nation consume way too many processed carbs, high fructose corn syrup, and too many of our daily calories come from corn and soy byproducts.

Yeah, it's not just a diet, I have to change my lifestyle. But don't go beating a drum that it doesn't work, or is unhealthy for the average individual.

Here's my .02 cents Michele.

When losing weight, you shouldn't be so much concerned about the pounds you lose but rather the amount of fat. I would say a safe goal (where you do not lose as much muscle) is about 1-2 lbs every week. The amount of weight you have put on has been gradual so expect the same when you're losing. If you're losing more weight than 1-2 lbs/week, then you should know you're cutting into lean muscle and water.

In a perfect world, 1 lb of fat is equal to 3500 calories. You can go to nutritiondata.com and find out what your daily caloric needs are. To lose a pound a week, you should consume 500 calories less than what is recommended everyday to maintain your weight (daily caloric needs). If you wanted to lose 2 lbs a week, then you would eat 1000 calories less than what's recommended to maintain your weight (1000 x 7 days a week = 7000 = 2 lbs of fat in a perfect world). If you go much higher than this, you're basically starving your body, which will then slow your metabolism and then weight loss will not be as efficient.

You should eat proportionately to your weight, height and lifestyle. So not only should you watch what you eat, but you should also incorporate some form of exercise to your life. The more you exercise, the more energy you need to give your body (the more food you can eat).

Now I'll tell you what I have done since Jan. 2007 to where I am currently at now. I basically eat a diet that has cut out all processed foods. So nothing but whole foods for me. Basically I won't touch anything that comes out of a box or plastic bag. I eat about 2 ounces of nuts everyday (I love all natural peanut butter. Make sure when looking at the ingredients, it should only list peanuts and salt). I drink about 50 ounces of green tea every day. I take around 2.5 grams of omega 3's everyday (my omega 3 to omega 6 ratio is about 1:2 or 3). I consume dark chocolate with over 70% cocao everyday (about .5 ounce). I do not watch the amount of cholesterol or salt I eat (although I am well aware of the amount, it just doesn't mean anything to me). I try to consume around 100 grams of fats, 180 grams of protein (which is a gram of protein per pound of weight) and around 160 grams of carbs (from which around 40-50 grams is fiber). All of my fats come from either canola or olive oil, nuts, dairy, avocado's and meats. My protein comes from a variety of meats. I try to consume chicken, fish, pork, beef and lamb every week however it seems like it's mostly chicken, fish and beef. My carbs come from vegetables, lentils, beans, fruits and dairy, in which most of it is consumed during the beginning of the day (usually before 3 pm) and around my workouts. At night I usually go with meat and vegetables. I eat around 4-6 times a day. So with all this said, I do not touch breads, flour, sugar etc. Not saying you should follow and completely omit these items but they should definitely be limited. One last thing, since our bodies need fuel when we're sleeping, I consume cottage cheese before going to bed (which is mostly made out of caseinate protein, a slowly digested protein).

I wish I knew how much I weighed before, but I believe it was around 270 lbs as of Jan. 2007. I am currently at 183 lbs and have a body fat % of around 11%. I hope no one feels I am bragging, I just know the feeling of wanting to lose weight. If you have any questions (or anybody for that matter), don't hesitate to ask or email me. Good luck.

Erik

So using that logic, I have either lost a combined total of only 20 pounds of fat, and 43 pounds of water and muscle. Well, after not quite 3 months, I'm certainly not dehydrated, I drink about 3/4 a gallon a day. So, if I've atrophied 43 pounds of pure muscle, then I'd be weak, pourly toned, and still quite fat in the midsection.But my strength levels have risen dramatically along with my energy levels.

I continue to do squats, and upper body strengthening workouts that have actually added muscle mass to my frame. The only thing that has changed is that my coat size has dropped nearly 10 sizes, and my waist has dropped 4 inches.

Your nutritionist data might be mathmatically correct when applied to normal diet and weight loss, but its clearly not accurate in other cases.

The show the Biggest Loser, which I have only seen occasionally, shows contestants that drop over 30 lbs in the first week weigh in. Sure, in a situation like that, its bound to be a hight amount of water, likely exasperated by the water retention caused by an unhealthy high sodium intake. But as well, their bodies are likely purging the large volume of matterial in their digestive tract that has been there in the transitory phase. But they are still loosing a vastly larger quantity of fat than your formula can allow. They are not allowed to starve themselves, and yes their callorie expenditure is going thru the roof with all that they make them do.

The biggest loser unfortunately is not realistic. The contestants do starve themselves and it's well documented. Contestants are typically allowed to consume 1200-1500 calories everyday, while exercising 4-5 hours a day. Most all of the contestants regain their weight once the show is over. Here's a link to one contestant who claims to have regained "32 lbs in 5 days simply by drinking water." The vast majority of the 30 lbs lost in the first week of the show is definitely muscle and water loss(there really is no way of knowing how much of it was water, lean muscle and fat).

My weight fluctuates throughout the day. I know a lot of it has to do with water loss and I am definitely not dehydrated (I try to drink over a gallon of water a day). So the fact that you don't feel dehydrated doesn't mean you're not losing water weight. For you to have lost lean muscle weight would not necessarily equate to being weak and/or poorly toned. I am very well toned, and definitely do not feel weak however I am really thin. I still have lower adominal fat that is very difficult to burn. Since I am constantly receiving negative comments on how thin I look, I am now thinking about eating a surplus of calories to regain some of my muscle mass (knowing that some of it will also be fat). Once I do regain some muscle mass, I will lower my calories again to burn off the excess fat.

Erik

Michelle,

Lots of good suggestions here. Personally, I do not have to worry about my weight but my wife struggles every day. She is now on WW and has lost 32 pounds in 6 months.

As far as ideas about the WSM, she does not eat any of the skin on poultry, andI no longer put any butter under the skin. It is amazing how a few changes in fat intake will help with weight loss.

She also stays away fro sugary sauces - maybe just a dab.

Good luck with your program.

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck R:
I don’t know what for about “studies”, but, from life experience, when you are morbidly obese and have high cholesterol, hypertension, high blood pressure, and then you get diabetes, and the thought of going blind, kidney damaged, heart damage, nerve damage to your extremities often leading to gangrene and amputations, etc., kinda scares the $hit out of you, mor so than dying. I’ve been a fata$$ since about age 24 (40 years ago) and have been on all the fad diets over the years. I lost 60 lbs on the no/low carb diets and gained 100 back. I did the powdered drinks until I farted dust. I’ve done Jenny Craig and Nutrisystem, but after 4 months if TV dinners, you get sick of it. According to the nutrition info from the Diabetes Association, exercise and eating a balanced meal of healthy food is what they recommend. Weight Watchers recommends the same thing. When I compared the two programs, they are essentially the same. Weight Watchers is the only eating regimen recommended by my health plan for losing weight. So WW is for me. Yesterday I bought a pair of levies, size 40 waist, because my size 48’s were so baggy that my kid said it looked like I $hit by pants and was carrying a load. I’ve lost 71 lbs and have 90 to go, bit, I EAT Q, PIZZA and SOURDOUGH on a regular basis. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

GOOD FOR YOU! There is NO EASY WAY to lose weight nd keep it off. My avatar is my picture. I probably eat as much as any of you, but I lift weights 3-4 times a week and walk 5 miles whenever possible. Also, I eat alot of vegetables, but I love salty snacks, and chocolate! I cannot stress enough the need for EXERCIZE!!! I absolutely HATE lifting! I have to get up at 3:00 am on weekdays to do it! I hate not doing it more! They say that it is the best exercize you can do to stay fit and healthy into old age. Your metabolism will increase as you build muscle. Muscle burns more calories at rest than lean or fat tissue. I hang out with alot of BBQ folks, around the country and weight is a BIG problem. I don't care what ANYBODY says, you need to eat a BALANCED diet and exercize! Good luck. Woodman

Michele,

As you can see, there are many different ways to accomplish the same thing and people that are passionate about their way of doing it.. After consulting with your doctor, find something healthy that works for you in the long term, and stick with it. One of the common threads here is that losing the fat is a change in lifestyle, not just a few months of dieting. Good luck!

A few things to say before I bow out of this conversation. I wish everyone well in their pursuit of a healthier life and smaller waist size

First: The orignal poster asked for low-fat ideas not a low-carb debate. I figure that he is a well read person who has chosen what is best for him and respect that choice by adding helpful ideas to his plan.

The main thing to stress when debating a high protein low carb diet is that the only people that are susceptible are those that have an underlying kidney disease, and not all those will develop problems.
Second: This statement may be true, but perhaps before you go and advise what others should do you should include the risks with that conversation. You did not, so I DID! Lets face it most people suseptible to kidney problems don't know it unitl they have it.

We as a nation consume way too many processed carbs, high fructose corn syrup, and too many of our daily calories come from corn and soy byproducts.
QUOTE]

Third: This statement is sooooo true, but you don't have to cut out all carbs in order to be healthy or lose weight. What do you think the diabetic diet and WW does? Limits your carbs and pushes you towards healther carb choices.

So I beg you all, when you see falsehood or even partial truths. BEAT YOUR DRUMS and BEAT THEM LOUD.

Next time I go on a diet I think I will choose one that lets me lose 100 pounds and then gain back 150... sounds smart to me. Hope I don't lose a kidney while I'm at it.

Have a great day.

Josh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Third: This statement is sooooo true, but you don't have to cut out all carbs in order to be healthy or lose weight. What do you think the diabetic diet and WW does? Limits your carbs and pushes you towards healther carb choices.

Josh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not even the atkins lifestyle(the harshest) cuts out ALL carbs. you still eat carb but they mostly come from vegtables. this will be my last comment on this thread, but it just irks me when people turn their nose up at something they haven't researched. yes, you can gain all the weight back plus some, but that is true with ANY diet if you go back to your former way of eating and not excercising(like i did)

And here I thought I was done.

I realize you can eat veggies.

I have researched it as part of graduate level project in exercise physiology.

I have seen plenty of people lose lots of weight.... and gain it back.

On the diabetic diet you can, at least in my wifes case, eat all the veggies she wanted, so I don't normally think of them in the carb family when considering carb choices and blood sugars.

So consider my nose turned up, but not because I'm ignorant.

Thanks,
Josh

My apologies to Michele P for hijacking his tread. I hope the information you got early on in the thread on low-fat options helps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Erik G:
(there really is no way of knowing how much of it was water, lean muscle and fat).

Erik </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes there is, it's called body hydrodensiometry. And it's very accurate.

And I never said you have to cut out all carbs in order to loose weight or be healthy. It's one of many ways, and has been proven to be healthy and effective.

I know The Biggest Loser is essentially a farce, since a good deal of the contestants gain back their weight and then some. But its because they didn't make a lifestyle change. My point was that a large amount of fat could be burned along with excess water accounting for drastic weight loss, in a short period of time, if the bodies biochemistry is set up to burn fat efficiently.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Hutson:
Uhhhhhh, Did I mention......Salmon? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right on Dave!!!!! Lets put this talk back ON TOPIC. I'm thinking a new thread devoted to LOW-FAT options is in order.

Josh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Josh Z.:

Problem #1: As soon as you get off of the diet, and everybody seems to at some point you baloon right back up because your body is starved for carbs and latches on to every carb it can.

Problem #2: Its very tough on your kidneys. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both of these statements are false and quite ignorant, so beat your drums all you want, you're just drawing attention to your own foolishness.

The body doesn't "crave" carbs, coming off the diet. If you spike your blood sugar at any time regardless of what diet you're on,your pancreas has to pump a ton of insulin into your bloodstream to help process or store these carbohydrates, you often end up hypoglycemic as a result, and end up eating more sugar trying to re-boost your blood sugar quickly again.

If people would avoid excess intake of junky high sugar low fiber carbohydrates, they wouldn't have these massive dip in blood sugar that trigger these "cravings"

Thank you Tom for pointing out my grave ignorance. I bow before your greatness and have been humbled by your time to repond to it.

I now will dress in motley and have a grand time.

Yours in fooishness,
Josh

For a number of years, I have been a moderator on a sports specific forum, which include pre-high school, high school, college and professional players, coaches and supporters. This is about the time that I remind the pre and high schoolers to attack the message, not the messenger, and to “Keep it Clean --- Keep it Respectful --- Keep it Positive”

I love BBQ and eat it regularly. At the same time, I go to the gym regularly and do many olympic lifts, which are incorporated into my normal workout, without doing cardio. I have a flat stomach and love the feeling of lifting more and more weight week after week. This desire is even greater than my love for BBQ.

I refuse to be fat (never have been, thankfully) and pride myself on keeping in shape. After all, being healthy and feeling good about yourself is worth it.

Now, where are those spare ribs I had marinating?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Chips:
Yes there is, it's called body hydrodensiometry. And it's very accurate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was referring to how we will never know how much of the weight loss on the biggest loser was actual fat, muscle and water. I know we have the option of getting our body composition assessed through various tests (by the way, fat calipers can be very accurate if completed by a body composition analyst and much cheaper).

Erik

Back