New WSMs for 2009

So do you think that adding more fuel will be a necessity for 12+ hour cooks on the 22.5"? Or do you think tweaking the vent dampers is still something to consider?

It seems that way, at least based on my variables of 1) using 21.6 pounds of Kingsford, 2) cooking 30 pounds of brisket or 45 pounds of pork butt, and 3) using 2 gallons of water in the pan.

I may try 45 pounds of pork butt, an empty water pan, and lump charcoal and see what happens.

I would be very interested in how long it goes with no water in the pan, doing the clay pot mod made a big difference in mine.

Originally posted by Tom Ferguson:
Has anyone considered that the new WSM may work perfectly well with the old Charcoal Ring? Certainly would save lots of charcoal.
Maybe for a short cook, like ribs or chicken?

One question I would consider...Would using a smaller charcoal ring work perfectly well in the current 18" WSM? How would it affect cooker performance?

Chris,

Things have been busy at work (we have strikers here in Seattle, yet I've been working to figure out how NOT to lay people off, despite budget problems) so I'm a bit behind times in the BBWSM news. With a little time, I've just spent the last couple hours reading threads, your articles, and watching the videos. Weber certainly deserves a thank you for finally doing this. YOU, SIR!, deserve a HUGE thank you... I can only echo so many others in offering that.

I'm in the midst of gathering parts for a 'free' BDS knock-off (all its cost me so far is a little driving around, but I'm not quite ready to assemble it), but I'm almost hoping it does not turn out too well so I have an excuse to buy one of these new babies once they are released.

Chris, I was wondering the same thing as Tom. Once these come out it would be a good test to see how the meats cook if the smaller ring was used. Kind of heat it would generate? Length of cook time? Sure would save on charcoal if it could work

Seems as if the dimensions are very similar to the "Big Drum Smokers"..."UDS"...etc. I have cooked these many times and am amazed at how fuel effecient they can be. Swamprb is our resident UDS expert and can speak from a broader range of experience than I...but here is my 2 cents for what it's worth.

I modeled my 2nd UDS after the WSM (dimenionally proportinate)...here is a pic of the drawing.
BGDII-10001.jpg

Here are a few pics of the finished UDS...

IMG_3843.jpg

IMG_3895.jpg

IMG_3900.jpg

With the clay pot as a heat shield I could do a 12 hour burn @ 250 degrees with 10 lbs of Rancher and about 30 lbs of pork butts.

Man - awesome follow-up video and attention to detail Chris. Thanks again for making this site available and all the effort you put in to keep us informed and providing feedback to Weber!

Great follow up Chris...thanks!
wsmsmile8gm.gif
Not too sure I agree with their reason for not installing handles on the cooking section...especially with the 22 inch. Did you happen to to ask about latching at all...being able to secure the sections to each other?

Originally posted by J D McGee:
Did you happen to ask about latching at all...being able to secure the sections to each other?
I didn't ask, but it came up in conversation...I'm not a big fan of the idea and didn't advocate it as a feature. In the 10+ years I've been at this, I've heard a lot of suggestions, and latches have never been mentioned to the best of my recollection.

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J D McGee:
Did you happen to ask about latching at all...being able to secure the sections to each other?
I didn't ask, but it came up in conversation...I'm not a big fan of the idea and didn't advocate it as a feature. In the 10+ years I've been at this, I've heard a lot of suggestions, and latches have never been mentioned to the best of my recollection. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Chris,

It's a somewhat desirable feature here with most of the local competition teams...mainly for ease of transportation.

Originally posted by Jim Jackson:
Is this new WSM cool? Absolutely YES! Do I think it is worth the $399 price tag I've seen floating around in different places? NO! Before anybody really wants to buy one they really ought to look at what they are getting. The cost of the unit about $50-$75, packaging about $50, Weber name $274-$299.

In Chris' videos he showed us the poor quality of Weber. He had to tweak the bowl because it had too much gap for the body. It may have been the other way around. Nonetheless, my point is if Weber is going to expect each of us to pay top dollar then we need to expect top quality.

Maybe I am to critical. All of us work hard for our money. Why should we just throw it away at shoddy workmanship? Just one of my thoughts.

Of the high production grills, smokers and barbecues. I think that Weber is one of the best. In order to find a better product you have to spend a considerable amount of money more than what a weber costs. I looked and tried to buy something cheaper, but in the end I bought a WSM. Anything that is better quality and can cook the same capacity of the WSM is double the cost. BDS, Backwoods, Lang and Big Green Egg. That is why this website is so popular, so many people own one!

Originally posted by J D McGee:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J D McGee:
I didn't ask, but it came up in conversation...I'm not a big fan of the idea and didn't advocate it as a feature. In the 10+ years I've been at this, I've heard a lot of suggestions, and latches have never been mentioned to the best of my recollection. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Chris,

It's a somewhat desirable feature here with most of the local competition teams...mainly for ease of transportation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if i was going to transport mine i would rather rely on bungi(howeveritsspelled) cords than latches. or tie down with rope. unless there is some sort of give to which pressure can be applied, latches are not reliably trusted to remain latched without some sort of locking mechanism.

just my 2 briquettes.

Originally posted by Greg P.:
I've lurked around here long enough to know that lid thermo is the first 'mod' most make and yet the most inaccurate. Measuring the temp from a probe an inch and a half below the lid doesn’t give an accurate picture. Am I wrong? Educate me.
I have no argument with people who want to measure temp on the cooking grate, I've been there, done that. But there's nothing wrong with measuring at the lid, either. There surely is an offset of temp between the lid and grate, but who cares? Why is one more accurate than the other? They're just different.

When you cook in your household oven, do you care what the temp is at the oven rack? Or do you rely on that itty bitty thermometer stuck in the top right corner of the oven? That sucker can't be very accurate because it's not right on the oven rack, right? You could never bake a cake or roast a chicken with any degree of accuracy by measuring temp way up there, could you?

Of course you can. It's a good location because it's out of the way and doesn't interfere with stuff going into or out of the oven. The same can be said for putting a therm in the lid.

I prefer to measure at the lid and it works great for me. The longer I cook, the simpler I get about things. I no longer measure at the grate, and I rarely monitor internal meat temp throughout the cooking process. No wireless thermometers, no wires coming out from under the lid or through an eyelet. I just watch that lid therm and lift the lid late in the cook to poke the meat with a Thermapen.

But like I said at the start, if you like measuring at the grate, keep on doing it. There's lots of good ways to arrive at the same end result.

Regards,
Chris

OK. I am a new guy here and have spent the past few weeks reading all the thread on the new WSM. Now I have a question for the experts...

I currently smoke on a Brinkmann Vertical Smoker and am looking to upgrade to one of the WSM. I want to get into some regional competitions. I am wondering if the 22" would be overkill? I ask because its just me (no wife/kids).

With my current rig I typically end up bringing leftovers to work (the Marines love it). Thanks in advance.

There is no doubt you'll be very happy moving to the WSM from the Brinkman. The smaller size would certainly handle your 2 person family and the capacity should at least equal you current smoker. However the large size might be better if you get into comps and it would work well at home also.

Paul

Back