New WSMs for 2009

With all of the "new" composite (plastic) deck materials, I think that a heat shield is probably a good thing. It looks as though a quick shot with a garden hose would also clean out any critter trying to hide between the bowl and the heat shield. Perhaps Chris can get out the hose and try it!

There's no doubt you can hose it out, or hit it with your weed burner, or whatever. It's just not yet clear what it's going to collect besides spiders, if anything.

Just talked to my contact. Weber has announced show special pricing and normal wholesale pricing but not retail ???

I'm still working on it.

Great news for us is that the addition of the heat shield will now allow the WSM to pass European standards and be sold here in France as well.

Looked but didn't see a date for the 27 Kettle? did I just miss it, thanks. Only grills I have are the three kettles and have been cooking on one for 15 yrs old(black) one is about 7 yrs also black and a new blue a couple months old. Grandkids cook on it in jr cookoffs.

Originally posted by Terry Massey:
Looked but didn't see a date for the 27 Kettle? did I just miss it, thanks. Only grills I have are the three kettles and have been cooking on one for 15 yrs old(black) one is about 7 yrs also black and a new blue a couple months old. Grandkids cook on it in jr cookoffs.

Official ship date for all the new stuff is December 1st.

Originally posted by Craig Duncan:
Great news for us is that the addition of the heat shield will now allow the WSM to pass European standards and be sold here in France as well.
Oh, this is interesting. It never dawned on me that maybe the heat shield was meant to satisfy an EU safety requirement of some sort.

Originally posted by Tom Ferguson:
Anyone that would rather have a ProQ extender, than this new WSM... I have a brand new one available for $40 plus shipping.

Never been used and never will be.

I know this is from a few weeks back, but if you still are selling this, let me know.

Thanks

I did a redo of the 45 lb. pork butt cook to see if I could get a 21.6 lb bag of Kingsford to go longer than about 12 hours.

This time I used 2 gallons of hot water in the pan instead of cool water. It was also a calm, warm night, never went below 63 degree. Someone at Weber told me they got 14 hours by starting with a lot of hot coals, setting the top vent 3/4 open, and closing all the bottom vents for the entire cook.

I used foil to plug the gaps in my out-of-round condition and put a full Weber chimney of hot coals over the remainder of a 21.6 lb. bag of Kingsford. Set the vents as instructed. Meat sat at room temp for 1 hour before going into the cooker. I could not get it over 200*F. So I opened just 1 bottom vent 100% and it ran in the low 200's for a long time, then I ended up with 2 bottom vents open 100% toward the end of the cook.

Once again, it started to poop-out at about 11 hours. The meat was done at 11.5 hours. I shook loose the ashes to reveal maybe a chimney-full of partial briquettes in various stages of burning. So it looks like if you want to go much beyond 11 hours with this much meat, you may have to add more fuel.

I'm thinking about trying the pork butt again, but with lump. I'm also thinking about trying two big briskets and Kingsford. That would only be about 26-28 lbs. of meat, maybe the Kingsford would last longer in that case.

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
I am getting ready for a brisket cook. Here's a photo of the same 15 pound brisket on the current WSM and the 22" version.
WOW! Chris, that's a huge difference. Thanks for the pics, makes me want one even more now. Why aren't these new 22" Magnums available yet.
icon_frown.gif

WOO-HOO!!!! Just got my news letter and since I am little more than a lurker these days, I was VERY pleasantly surprised. TOOO Cool and a hand clap to Chris for more grate videos and coverage.

I'm not sure about the Euro regulation angle - after all WSMs are available here in the UK though I understand these things are rarely clear cut.
Bear in mind what a full charcoal load could do with all vents open. Also I remember hearing the tale of the Brinkman charcoal pan hole and the by product is an excellent WSM water pan!

Chris,

Thanks for the update and all the hard work you do for us.

I'll probably hold off buying the Big Bullet for awhile, but it is on the wish list.

Randy

Originally posted by Todd Randall:
Anybody curious as to what Chris has done with 90 lbs of pork butt!!!!!!!
Ten of the twelve butts went to Loaves & Fishes Family Kitchen. They feed the working poor here in San Jose and really appreciated the donation.

Back