New WSMs for 2009

Originally posted by Keith "Spatulaman" James:
OK. I am a new guy here and have spent the past few weeks reading all the thread on the new WSM. Now I have a question for the experts...

I currently smoke on a Brinkmann Vertical Smoker and am looking to upgrade to one of the WSM. I want to get into some regional competitions. I am wondering if the 22" would be overkill? I ask because its just me (no wife/kids).

With my current rig I typically end up bringing leftovers to work (the Marines love it). Thanks in advance.

I'd say it would be overkill. On the 18" you can pack ALOT of meat into it, plenty for a good size get together, nonetheless your household.

Plus it won't take up as much space, use as much fuel, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the 22" is a man's dream come true, but you would be very happy with the 18".

You can in theory compete with one 18" WSM. Back in the day when I was not working as a pro pitmaster (and posted daily here), my competition setup was three WSMs and a 22" OTG.

It's always better to have a few pieces of meat to choose from when making boxes.

I think you could replace the 3 18" WSMs with one 22" WSM. The 22" not only gives you more surface area it give you more vertical height to use grate extenders.

Wow. I mean wow. I'm ashamed that I've been an absent member of this community for so long and am just now seeing that there's a new 22" WSM!

But, great news! If only I had $400 to spare right now...

Anyhow, Chris, thanks for keeping up with all of this and for keeping up with this community.

- Adam

Ordered mine thru this site from amazon. Just go this in yesterday on shipping date:

Hello from Amazon.com.

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on October 15 2008 09:15 PDT (Order#

"Weber 731001 22-1/2-Inch Smoker" [Kitchen]
Estimated arrival date: 11/17/2008 - 11/20/2008

I haven't seen any mention of covers coming with these new WSMs like the current ones. DOes anyone know if they are included?

First of all, I'd like to get it on record that I'm extremely excited about the 22" WSM. What a fantastic upgrade to the 18" version. I will one day purchase the 22". HOWEVER, I'm a little confused and disappointed about the MSRP $499 price point. The price of this WSM is now in the league of a full-sized gas stove/oven which makes me wonder what Weber's justification is for such a high list price... especially considering the fact that two decades of the 18" being out have more than helped them recoup their R&D costs of both the original 18" and the new 22". Any info, insight, or words of wisdom to help me digest this would greatly help.

hear, hear!

sure, the new features are nice. however the only thing I see is 200 bucks for an extra 4" of space?

No thank you...I'll stick with my 18"'er for now -- if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Originally posted by Armen G.:
I'm a little confused and disappointed about the MSRP $499 price point. Any info, insight, or words of wisdom to help me digest this would greatly help.
I can't offer any insight, just that MSRP and actual retail price will vary quite a bit. MSRP is $499, Amazon retail price is $399. Perhaps retail price will drop over time.

Originally posted by Jeff Rushe:
the only thing I see is 200 bucks for an extra 4" of space?
Interestingly, 4" larger cooking grates = 50% more cooking space. 18" grates = 241 sq inches, 22" grates = 363 sq inches.

The 22" WSM is the equivalent of adding a third cooking grate to your 18" WSM. Also, things fit better on the 22" grate like a 14 pound brisket or full slabs of back ribs. The test cook photos I posted make this quite clear.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/22wsm.html#test1

Ok I gave Amazon the 4 bills necessary for this revolutionary device (using the link on this website of course). To hold me over until it arrives (amazon hasn't ponyed up the date on that by the way) we need more test cooks from the bullet master (that's you Chris). Surely you have more in the works..

In the event the rest of us have difficulty pulling off 12+ hour cooks when we actually get these cookers what do you guys think about modifying the charcoal ring.

Do any of you think there is room to maybe make it taller (I have no idea how) and if so would it even extend the burn time by a worth while amount?

Maybe it's a dumb idea, but it did occur to me.

Don't know if true or if it's strictly this local Ace hardware but they said the Weber rep said they were delayed till January.

Big bummer.

Originally posted by Jeff Day:
Don't know if true or if it's strictly this local Ace hardware but they said the Weber rep said they were delayed till January.

Big bummer.

Don't know about January but the receive date is 12/16. This date has changed four times so far. The date (and changes) have been the same for the 26.75 OTG. We've heard nothing definite from our rep, not even January.

I went to my local Ace yesterday, no word yet on shipping but I did find out the price will be the same as Amazon.com (399.99). A very nice suprise. Hopefully it will be the same for all Ace Hardware stores.

I am planning on replaceing my side box brinkman smoker with a 22" weber bullet.
I cook my briskets with oak logs in my current smoker. will I be able to cook with chunk wood or will I have to use lump and chacoal on the new WSM?

Back