New WSM owner

Hi all,

New WSM owner here, did my second cook last Friday. Great to find all these resources available, second time smoking as well!
I was originally looking into a traegar but i wanted to have the option of more prominent smoke flavor. I also got the fireboard drive and fireboard blower, going to enjoy the brand new hobby~!

Last edited:
Thank you~!

Quick Question: I bought the Hunsaker rib hangar, im planning to hang some st louis spare ribs on my 22" WSM. Considering there being hung, i wont have a heat deflector. Wouldn't the bottom of the ribs closer to the charcoal be cooked more quickly then the top of the rack, so in other words unevenly cooked?

I was thinking of buying the hansaker vortex deflector but that still doesnt eliminate the issue of closer to the charcoal, anmyone have experience with the hanging of ribs?

Thanks~!

Congratulations on your WSM! There are some folks here who have the Hunsaker and can hopefully answer your question.

Welcome Francisco.

A couple thoughts on rib hanging. I use the Hunsaker rack in my WSM 18.

The end closest to the fire will get cooked less than you would think. So you can just do nothing special. You'll have one rib that is crunchy but still edible.

Second, you can flip them as Joe suggests above.

Third, in a 22 you'll have plenty of space unless you are cooking a crazy amount of ribs. So I find it easiest to cut the slabs in half, and then cook six or 12 half slabs instead of three or six full slabs. The half slabs are a bit easier the handle, and the reduced weight means no worries about the cooked ribs getting so tender that they pull off the hooks and go into the fire. With halfs, one hook is fine. With full slabs, some people feel the need to double hook. To keep falling ribs out of the fire, some folks will put a cooking grate on top of the coal ring just in case.

Diffuser plate or not is mostly a question of taste. With no diffuser, the fat drips into the fire as with a PBC type drum cooker. I like my ribs that way. Some folks use a diffuser to avoid that taste. Personal preference. If you go with the half slabs, you probably have enough space to use your regular diffuser (water pan (empty or full), firedial, plant saucer, pizza pan, whatever).

Last, I just cook them on the hooks and dispense with foiling. Unhooking, foiling, reinstalling the cook grates, etc. is too much trouble for me. What I like about hanging ribs is how simple and easy it is, and how much cooking space you have with stuff being vertical. Wrapping and going horizontal undoes a lot of that.

hmm I see, thanks for alot of the insight~!
Is there any real difference in taste of hanging w/ diffuser vs normal way with heat deflector using top + bottom rack? I would assume with the foil wrapping you would get more juice trappings flavor and pull back then not doing it.

hmm I see, thanks for alot of the insight~!
Is there any real difference in taste of hanging w/ diffuser vs normal way with heat deflector using top + bottom rack? I would assume with the foil wrapping you would get more juice trappings flavor and pull back then not doing it.
I think there is. I love smoked chicken pieces. I was doing a bunch for Easter for my family and I was using the 18" WSM, which is my favorite way to have them. But it was taking so long and I was running out of time to finish the night before and cooked a bunch over direct coals on my WSK. I could easily taste the difference from WSM indirect (with water in the bowl) to direct in WSK. The direct has a very distinct grilled flavor (and less smoke flavor as they weren't on the fire as long) from the fat dripping on the coals. It was still really good, but I didn't like it as much as the indirect flavor from the WSM. But my family had no complaints. So it's completely up to you. Try it both ways and see which you like better.

I cut the slabs in half, and then cook six or 12 half slabs instead of three or six full slabs. The half slabs are a bit easier the handle, and the reduced weight means no worries about the cooked ribs getting so tender that they pull off the hooks and go into the fire.
I have an 18” and do this as well

Diffuser plate or not is mostly a question of taste. With no diffuser, the fat drips into the fire as with a PBC type drum cooker. I like my ribs that way.
I do too, definitely a different flavor profile from the grease vaporizing on the coals.

Back