New WSM 18

John Neivel

Greetings everyone. I bought myself a WSM 18 last weekend after taking a hiatus from smoking. A little back story to fill y'all in. I was gifted a Big Green Egg XL a few years ago. I sucked at smoking on that thing and became very frustrated. Please don't get me wrong I am not bashing BGE as I am 100% sure is was user error. I tried everything from chicken to ribs but nothing turned out well. I even switched up lump charcoal along with different rubs/spices but it didn't taste good. God knows how much money I spent on meat but I eventually ended up selling it. Fast forward to last weekend. I smoked my first whole chicken and it turned out fantastic. Maybe I just got lucky but I am encouraged. I am definitely looking forward to future smokes.

Welcome. If you haven't been go go the top menu bar and click on the Virtual Weber Bullet. Chris has put a ton of info on every thing you need to be successful. I picked up a WSM18 over the winter to flip, did one cook on it before cleaning it up and I was hooked. Still have it.

Welcome John
I beleive you made a very cost effective,and versatile choice, as you already discovered on your first cook. There is so much information on this site as mentioned above and just reading or asking question on the fourm or private messages, to people. Everyone loves to help each other as no one knows all and we all learn from each other's ideas.
Enjoy .

Back