New wsm 14" owner

PeterSims

Hi I'm Pete from the UK . Just bought a new wsm 14" after finally finding one at a good price . There not cheap over here. Have some experience with a vertical upright smoker as old one has just about rusted away. But the temp was up and down and leaked from just about everywhere.
Just wanted to know what you guys think. Going to do a quick burn off and some sausages or something first time . Heard it takes a good few cooks to seal it up I'm eager to do a nice big pork shoulder at the bank holiday weekend coming up. Or will I ruin a peace of good meat if the smoker is not ready or are they good to go straight from the box .

My personal experience with rhe 14.5 is that you won't screw anything up unless you try to 😄. It may take a while to seal up, but it still smokes. I recently had to scrub mine totally clean again after having it closed up in our NC humidity for months following our move. ("Stuff" likes to grow in the rich interior seasoning if it's not used.) Mine has leaked a bit of smoke but holds temp to do ribs, meat loaf and even a 19 lb brisket (that was a challenge to fit it) along with a lot of other goodies. Just did more ribs that worked fine. The seal will come.

Hi Pete. Welcome to the chaos. I have the 14 also. Nice little unit. I've never done a pork butt on it so I'll be interested in hearing how you make out. Pictures are always appreciated. Good luck.

Lots of good videos on the Inet specifically addressing the WSM 14.5. I recommend you watch and learn. BTW. I have baby backs and sausage on my 14.5 as we speak. A wonderful little smoker that gives great results. Please keep us posted on your progress.(y)(y)

1/4 chimney and a chuck of wood not sure if I needed that . But seasoning today and a little play with the vents . There will be photos coming over weekend when I start cooking.
Also Webber sent me a replacement grill as one was faulty. Just wondering if I film it upside down it does fit nice . Thinking I could get 6 1/2 flat racks of ribs on. I know temps be different for each shelf . But has anyone else tried this method. Or should I just keep for a spare

I’ve used the second rack on my 18 just a couple of times so, I can’t help too much on that score.
As Rich said above, once you get things “gunked up” or “Seasoned” if you prefer, the fun ever stops! I’ve got people coming this weekend for my birthday this weekend so, the 18 will come out to play! Time to set up the cabaña and be ready.

It's screaming hot at the min . Did light the hole lot of coals and put it in . Don't want to play with top vent . But will be doing a minion method in future or do the fire spread from 1 vent . I'll find my preference.

Well many happy returns have a beer on me 🍺

I rarely, if ever, adjust the top vent. I am using a variation of the esteemed Enrico Brandizzi method after several try’s with minion methods and finding it to be not to my liking.
I combine Harry Soo’s smoke wood under the charcoal and the Brandizzi “sidewinder” method. So, smoke wood on the bottom fill the ring to ridiculously full, put the center section on, open door, propane torch for about a minute or two until you can see that several briquettes are well lit, close door, load whatever you’re smoking, put the lid on. Throttle back back two vents to 1/3-1/2 front vent fully open, then generally, I go to bed.
But, that’s just me.

I'd like to try it over night but need to see how long I can get it to burn for . Not only that the UK will be under 10c at night very soon and falling fast . Also just looking at pictures your coals seem a lot more compressed in the USA especially that Kingsford stuff you all use . What I'm guessing gives a slower burn .

Pork in the pic 😋 making me hungry

You have sources for different coal than we do, you might try some of the Weber coconut shell stuff, I have a buddy in Aberdeen that likes that style charcoal quite a bit. Maybe he can chime in with some suggestions for you, we shall see.

So having a practice run with some belly pork slices . I have water in the pan not a cold day out side say about 20c but my 2 racks are a good 40f difference does that sound about right ? . Thinking I've over filed the water bowl and to much steam

Finished 10h with a 1h rest still coal left as well. I know you hear it all the time but I'm amazed at how well these keep temp just sits there. By far the the most juicy pork I've ever done . Just need to tinker with smoke level needs a tad more. I used 3 chunks of plum so think 2 plum 1 oak next time

Attachments

• PXL_20230827_181419929.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230827_181419929.MP.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 2

Back