New Weber Chunks

Brandon N.

TVWBB Fan
While browsing the local Weber dealer I noticed a large stack of unopen boxes on the floor. Looking at the labels I noticed Pecan, Alder, Cherry, and Maple. Asked the owner if they were for sale yet and he replied "yes"
icon_cool.gif

Took my knife out and cut open the Pecan and Cherry boxes. Grabbed a few of each...

143.jpg

I first stumbled on to this site 6-7 years ago and all I could find up to this point in the Midwest was Hickory or Mesquite. And trust me, I searched everywhere. Its good to see that someone is listening.
icon_cool.gif

Never understood how Mesquite was that popular anyways
icon_confused.gif

I have enough wild cherry and hickory in the garage to last another couple years, but I may have to try the pecan. I've heard its awesome. Has anyone used pecan?

Dave,

I can hardly wait to try it. Do you mix it with other woods? Going to try it with some spares next smoke.

Sometimes I mix, sometimes I don't. Depends on what else I have on hand. I find it a bit milder than hickory with a nutty smokey flavor. It is good on lots of things including ribs. I think you'll like it. I've used very small pieces, 1 or 2, cooking chicken on the grill too.

Mostly I have been using apple wood for smoke, but if I can locate some of the Firespice pecan I will have to give it a try.

Pecan is great stuff for smoking. It's my main go to wood since I can get it readily here in Texas.

Can anyone tell me about smoking with maple?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kent Perry:
Can anyone tell me about smoking with maple? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I like maple in combination with hickory on butts

i mostly use pecan for everything though i do throw on some apple with the butts. lately though i have been getting into oak and have some manzanita to try. if only one choice then pecan for sure.

I found those up here in Ontario Canada for $11 per bag and picked up a bag of hickory today for pork butts tomorrow. I'm not sure how that compares to the price in the US but it seems a little steep to me, but what the heck, it's BBQ.

I ordered 10#s of pecan from someone on the internet, forget who, butt the cost to ship was nutso. Butt, the flavour pecan emits is so sensational that it is now my favourite for ALL my cooks. I am running extremely low on it so the last few times I grabbed some, also added apple or cherry to offset my supply.
Tomorrow's beef and pork back ribs cook is gonna be pecan smoked. Gonna look for Weber's bags.
Olive wood is quite good too, been "playing" with that on a few smokes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Will Erskine:
I found those up here in Ontario Canada for $11 per bag and picked up a bag of hickory today for pork butts tomorrow. I'm not sure how that compares to the price in the US but it seems a little steep to me, but what the heck, it's BBQ. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Will,

Where in Ont did you find them? I can get the hickory or mesquite here in Ottawa,haven't seen Pecan.

Back