New Traegers

I’ve had multiple Traegers and they’re fine pellet smokers. However, I always felt they were a little overpriced for the build quality. I need to go see this one in person sometime. It looks very nice from the vids and pics and has some awesome features. However, my first reaction is that it’s even more overpriced than their other grills. When $3000-4000 buys you several US made pits that either use substantial amounts of 304 SS or 3/16-1/4 inch heavy stick burner type steel, it’s hard to imagine spending that much on an imported product with flimsy powder coated metal, even if they’ve double walled it. Maybe it’s thicker than other models?

I’ve had multiple Traegers and they’re fine pellet smokers. However, I always felt they were a little overpriced for the build quality. I need to go see this one in person sometime. It looks very nice from the vids and pics and has some awesome features. However, my first reaction is that it’s even more overpriced than their other grills. When $3000-4000 buys you several US made pits that either use substantial amounts of 304 SS or 3/16-1/4 inch heavy stick burner type steel, it’s hard to imagine spending that much on an imported product with flimsy powder coated metal, even if they’ve double walled it. Maybe it’s thicker than other models?
Well said.

The induction burner is going to be pricey. I'm going to have to assume the grates are all stainless. They better be all 304 for that price. The inner wall might be stainless or at least it looked shiny. The price kind of puts it in a rich man's toy territory.

The induction burner is going to be pricey. I'm going to have to assume the grates are all stainless. They better be all 304 for that price. The inner wall might be stainless or at least it looked shiny. The price kind of puts it in a rich man's toy territory.
What is a “rich man?” Just curious who people think the buyer is on these. I haven’t figured it out at all.

Last edited:
I'm just saying it's a luxury item and not for most work-a-day joes. I spent that kind of coin on my Franklin pit so I can't really talk, but my Franklin pit will be around long after these Traeger units bite the dust. You can buy a lower model Traeger in the 1k range, also. I'm thinking of things like the Kamodo Kamado. It's a luxury item. But... guys spend a lot more money on other hobbies, so it's whatever floats your boat.

I'm just saying it's a luxury item and not for most work-a-day joes. I spent that kind of coin on my Franklin pit so I can't really talk, but my Franklin pit will be around long after these Traeger units bite the dust. You can buy a lower model Traeger in the 1k range, also. I'm thinking of things like the Kamodo Kamado. It's a luxury item. But... guys spend a lot more money on other hobbies, so it's whatever floats your boat.
I would have no issue spending that money on a Franklin pit as the centerpiece of my back yard smoking area. Don’t see how that Trager can be 3x my EX6 though.

That being said I would need my wife to want a Franklin in the backyard or it wouldn’t be worth the headache she would give me.

The Ace store on my little town of Brazil, IN just got that new high end Timberline on display. Induction burner and the whole 9 yards. Several guys were looking at it but all compared it to buying a car😲. Hopefully there is at least one buyer for it, as I like our store very much.

My quick take was that it has excellent thick lower grates that looked to be stainless and overall the grill makes a great showpiece/statement. A LOT of painted metal, though, that I can’t see lasting for as long as I would expect a $3,800 grill to last. I doubt it cooks as well as a SmokeFire or any better than my Recteq. It will be interesting to see how it plays out for Traeger.

E762C455-5840-4B19-BE70-EBA2B2F13AB8.jpeg

Here’s an up close shot of the one they have here locally. The ash management is something else. Well built, but seems like overkill unless this was your “One grill to rule them all” set up. I’d still opt for a smokfire personally.

Rich,
What are your thoughts on the Oklahoma Joe on sale at Safeway for 599. Or 699. I did not snap photo of it.
Nice sized unit looked to made of good size steel , and computer temp control.

I need to take a longer look I was in a hurry.

Back