New The Huntsman Kettle Kamado Grill from Spider coming.

I’ve been thinking on this some more.

I think my biggest concern with this grill (and all pellet grills and charcoal gravity smokers) is longevity of the electronics. We all know about 50+ year old Weber kettles still seeing regular use (I have a couple at 15+ years now and expect them to just keep on indefinitely); I can’t imagine the controller on this thing lasting 10-20 years. That’s not any knock on Spider Grills, just a fact of life with electronic goods—I have very very few items with circuit boards that have survived more than a decade of regular use. And even if the Hunstman’s controller is functional in a decade or three, will it have kept up with WiFi/phones tech to still be usable? I know the Huntsman can be used without the controller, and that’s actually a massive positive, so it’s not dead in the water if the controller dies in 20 years and we’re on WiFi version 17 and all phone tech is wearable or telekinetic or whatever. (I know I sound like an old man yelling at the clouds to get off my lawn; I actually work in IT and I just prefer to disconnect at home and try to live low-tech). All that said, I still own a pellet grill and I just accept that it’s not a long-term use item.

And I still want one of these.
Nice write-up but my 82nd birthday coming-up in around Seven(7) months electronics longevity is not a great concern;)

I’ve been thinking on this some more.

I think my biggest concern with this grill (and all pellet grills and charcoal gravity smokers) is longevity of the electronics. We all know about 50+ year old Weber kettles still seeing regular use (I have a couple at 15+ years now and expect them to just keep on indefinitely); I can’t imagine the controller on this thing lasting 10-20 years. That’s not any knock on Spider Grills, just a fact of life with electronic goods—I have very very few items with circuit boards that have survived more than a decade of regular use. And even if the Hunstman’s controller is functional in a decade or three, will it have kept up with WiFi/phones tech to still be usable? I know the Huntsman can be used without the controller, and that’s actually a massive positive, so it’s not dead in the water if the controller dies in 20 years and we’re on WiFi version 17 and all phone tech is wearable or telekinetic or whatever. (I know I sound like an old man yelling at the clouds to get off my lawn; I actually work in IT and I just prefer to disconnect at home and try to live low-tech). All that said, I still own a pellet grill and I just accept that it’s not a long-term use item.

And I still want one of these.
For most of the pellet and charcoal gravity examples, I would agree with you. Heck, you can even go as far as to say similar issues exist with gas grilles. Gas grille parts however are much cheaper. For all those examples, care is a huge part of longevity. What I like about the huntsman is that in the event that the electronics fail and in the scenario that you can't replace the venom, the unit comes with a built in port for an after market blower as per the Grilltop experience youtube review. At the very worst, you slap a weber high capacity ash catcher on the unit (this needs to be a question to one of the reviewers as I assume that the ash catcher might work with the Huntsman venom brackets) and it becomes a heavy duty weber kettle.

From my correspondence with Spider, they will sell the Huntsman without the venom for $100USD less. This is for people who have a venom already.

So when would you want to use the SNS versus this:

For the low and slow is it the SNS and for doing a steak with reverse sear the next level cooking surface? Or can you do both with the next level lower cooking surface?

So when would you want to use the SNS versus this:

For the low and slow is it the SNS and for doing a steak with reverse sear the next level cooking surface? Or can you do both with the next level lower cooking surface?
I definitely see using my SNS on the Huntsman. I also have one of those ceramic diffusers that sits on a charcoal ring. I am sure it will work, but I have come to see that it would not take real advantage of the Huntsman's best features. The one you linked here (price pretty high, I have to admit) would use ALL of the Huntsman's wide charcoal area, and more importantly, it would allow you to add charcoal, wood chunks, etc. as you cook. My diffuser, with the charcoal ring would not allow you to add fuel through the cool door the Huntsman has. It also wouldn't have the extra wide diffuser.

Back