New The Huntsman Kettle Kamado Grill from Spider coming.

At least we are seeing and learning more. (Thanks, Tom!) So far, although I don't think the Huntsman is the "perfect grill" any more than any other grill, I am eager to try it out and don't have buyer's remorse. A sellout of the July shipping is a good sign and a big plus for a small company like Spider. Hopefully, it means they will be here for the long haul. I won't be shocked if I encounter an issue or two, but so far it looks to me like they will give first class customer service if that happens.

Tom responded.
Tom Horsman
Thanks for Watching Joe! Ash sweep works, what I did was easier…
I asked Tom about using a Weber kettle diffuser. He felt they would be too small, but watching his latest video seems to show they should work well enough. The custom one that Spider is making would, of course, fit better and take advantage of more grilling real estate.

So it seems this Spider Grills is essentially a part of a product development group with offices in both Georgia and China.
They seem to also be directly connected to Kamado Joe and some other "outdoor" brands.
If I'm understanding it correctly, they are focused on developing BBQing products/accessories that are unique to specific brands as well as incorporating technology(wifi,Bluetooth,apps) into both new and existing products. The CEO of Spider is also the
CEO of Atlas PMG. The guy in their videos, Jeremiah, seems to be a spokesmodel.

Interesting to me is how smaller companies in that category collaborate with development companies like this one and a giant like Weber does it all in-house...at least on the surface.

So it seems this Spider Grills is essentially a part of a product development group with offices in both Georgia and China.
They seem to also be directly connected to Kamado Joe and some other "outdoor" brands.
If I'm understanding it correctly, they are focused on developing BBQing products/accessories that are unique to specific brands as well as incorporating technology(wifi,Bluetooth,apps) into both new and existing products. The CEO of Spider is also the
CEO of Atlas PMG. The guy in their videos, Jeremiah, seems to be a spokesmodel.

Interesting to me is how smaller companies in that category collaborate with development companies like this one and a giant like Weber does it all in-house...at least on the surface.
That is some good sleuthing @Jay D in Jersey. I am thinking it is a great mix in geography for personnel.

That is some good sleuthing @Jay D in Jersey. I am thinking it is a great mix in geography for personnel.
Thank you, Sir...but it's easy work with a good cup of coffee and 15 minutes with Google. You're correct. These are a group of pretty smart folks. I suspect their marketing budget for this Huntsman grill is next to nothing....a very good, user friendly website and get the product out through social media in a targeted manner=Horsman, BBQ podcast folks,so-called "influencers" that cover BBQ...that's where they start with the ambition to find themselves in Home Depot, Lowe's, Amazon, etc...
It seems like a viable business model.
Marketing and creativity in the US and sourcing and manufacturing in China...pretty common but the categories they target are unique.

Very interesting...It's a modern, complex world. That makes it unlikely that anyone can make and sell something like the Huntsman in a shop behind their house. It would be much more appealing if the Huntsman was a made in USA product, but I accept the realities however reluctantly. If the Huntsman had come out made here but costing $2,500, I have to admit that I almost certainly wouldn't be on the pre-order list.

Still looking forward to getting mine. For now, I am glad Tom Horsman got his so early and is willing to share his experiences. I especially liked his question-and-answer recent post.

Additionally, I have to think that the choice of carbon steel construction is intended to come close to the heat retention ability of ceramic without the fragility and weight. Tip a BGE or Kamado Joe over and that's it. Tip that thing over(or a WSK for that matter) and just keep on going.

Additionally, I have to think that the choice of carbon steel construction is intended to come close to the heat retention ability of ceramic without the fragility and weight. Tip a BGE or Kamado Joe over and that's it. Tip that thing over(or a WSK for that matter) and just keep on going.
I have mentioned somewhere here before, but I once owned a Big Green Egg that my boss gave me as a bonus. I did enjoy cooking on it, but I was always wary of something happening to it. When we moved from Florida, I knew I didn't want to chance trying to move it a thousand miles. Like you said, one flip over and it's humpty dumpty time! It was also true that my Recteq RT-700 had pushed my BGE to a lower level of use. I am hoping the Huntsman will get me back into more charcoal grilling.

I have mentioned somewhere here before, but I once owned a Big Green Egg that my boss gave me as a bonus. I did enjoy cooking on it, but I was always wary of something happening to it. When we moved from Florida, I knew I didn't want to chance trying to move it a thousand miles. Like you said, one flip over and it's humpty dumpty time! It was also true that my Recteq RT-700 had pushed my BGE to a lower level of use. I am hoping the Huntsman will get me back into more charcoal grilling.
Admittedly, I was initially skeptical upon reading the first few posts and watching Horsman. Partly because I despise all of the "required" accessories at bloated prices...like the shelves and the diffuser attachments...not just the Huntsman, Kamado Joe is ridiculous with it...SloRoller, JoeTisserie, etc...
But a pellet Kamado is unique and it appears very well built.
Look forward to your future reports.
One thing I find strange is it appears to be very short. Looks like Horsman could have been more comfortable cooking on his knees.

Admittedly, I was initially skeptical upon reading the first few posts and watching Horsman. Partly because I despise all of the "required" accessories at bloated prices...like the shelves and the diffuser attachments...not just the Huntsman, Kamado Joe is ridiculous with it...SloRoller, JoeTisserie, etc...
One thing I find strange is it appears to be very short. Looks like Horsman could have been more comfortable cooking on his knees.
You know it is funny that you mention this as I had a lot of fun with accessories on my Webers. I liked making some of them, and finding ways to use them, the only downside was $$ and storage. Now with my Masterbuilt 800 I don't need, have, or use any accessories (other than rotisserie) as they are just not needed and it does everything so much easier, but I feel like I am missing out. Weird eh? I think the only real accessory the Huntsman needs is a charcoal ring and diffuser and those are easy to make or come by. I think this Kettle Zone for $65 I had on my watchlist for years would do the trick. https://www.ebay.com/itm/285475096649?var=587415334551

Last edited:
I agree that the accessories are priced too high. In part, I forgive them for following the trend since it helps lower the entry price for someone like me. Throw in those side tables and even more important diffuser/2nd grate and now you are north of $1,000. So, for me, I will make do with some side table I can find, while I plan to give the Weber compatible diffuser I already have a good workout before breaking down to buy the Spider one.

Jay, did you mean to say pellet Kamado, since the Huntsman burns charcoal and wood?

Looks like the Huntsman stands a little taller than the "regular" Weber kettles, probably more in line with the MasterTouch versions. Even a little taller would be nice, though.

I agree that the accessories are price too high. In part, I forgive them for following the trend since it helps lower the entry price for someone like me. Throw in those side tables and even more important diffuser/2nd grate and now you are north of $1,000. So, for me, I will make do with some side table I can find, while I plan to give the Weber compatible diffuser I already have a good workout before breaking down to buy the Spider one.

Jay, did you mean to say pellet Kamado, since the Huntsman burns charcoal and wood?

Looks like the Huntsman stands a little taller than the "regular" Weber kettles, probably more in line with the MasterTouch versions. Even a little taller would be nice, though.
Ahh. I was confusing their kettle pellet attachment with the Huntsman!
OK...Charcoal and wood.

You know it is funny that you mention this as I had a lot of fun with accessories on my Webers. I liked making some of them, and finding ways to use them, the only downside was $$ and storage. Now with my Masterbuilt 800 I don't need, have, or use any accessories (other than rotisserie) as they are just not needed and it does everything so much easier, but I feel like I am missing out. Weird eh? I think the only real accessory it needs is a charcoal ring and diffuser and those are easy to make or come by. I think this Kettle Zone for $65 I had on my watchlist for years would do the trick. https://www.ebay.com/itm/285475096649?var=587415334551
I get it with some accessories. In fact, I've been loving my OnlyFire gas grill pizza oven thing...but I only paid $45 for it. A rotisserie for a gas grill is certainly a worthwhile accessory as well. I think BGE and even worse, KamadoJoe....it's almost to the level of blatant exploitation. Weber is close too. Things like shelves shouldn't be accessories and if they are they shouldn't cost $150.

You know it is funny that you mention this as I had a lot of fun with accessories on my Webers. I liked making some of them, and finding ways to use them, the only downside was $$ and storage. Now with my Masterbuilt 800 I don't need, have, or use any accessories (other than rotisserie) as they are just not needed and it does everything so much easier, but I feel like I am missing out. Weird eh? I think the only real accessory it needs is a charcoal ring and diffuser and those are easy to make or come by. I think this Kettle Zone for $65 I had on my watchlist for years would do the trick. https://www.ebay.com/itm/285475096649?var=587415334551
Joe,
That one looks like a very good fit for the Huntsman. I have this one:

The problem with mine is that you lose the ability to use that cool door to add more wood chunks and/or fuel, whereas the one you show leaves that wide open. I bought mine before the Huntsman was ever released. I liked the idea of raising the grates on a Weber kettle to allow for using a water drip tray. But if I was shopping now, I think I would go with the one you linked.

I think Horsman is a tall dude. I know he has altered kettles to be taller. I am 6'4. Based on what I have learned, the Huntsman grate height should be fine. Now, opening and closing the door will be a little different, but still easier than what I do now with my Performer.
One reason why I am no longer a fan of the WSM is the bending required.

I get it with some accessories. In fact, I've been loving my OnlyFire gas grill pizza oven thing...but I only paid $45 for it. A rotisserie for a gas grill is certainly a worthwhile accessory as well. I think BGE and even worse, KamadoJoe....it's almost to the level of blatant exploitation. Weber is close too. Things like shelves shouldn't be accessories and if they are they shouldn't cost $150.
I'm going to wait on accessories until after I've used the Huntsman a lot! I have plenty of shelf options so I don't think that will be a big deal. The shelves they have introduced are not very big...I find that I usually need more space...especially for my beverage!

The Huntsman sits almost exactly att the same height as my GB 26”. I’m 6’2” so the taller the better, but it seems tall enough.
In my cart I had the Huntsman, tables, cover, diffuser and maybe rotisserie. It’s $1249 at that point.

I think you guys will find a diffuser cheaper and be in business.
It’s a cool grill. I can’t wait til you get them.

Last edited:

Back