New The Huntsman Kettle Kamado Grill from Spider coming.

Nice brisket by Tom.
I asked in the comments about fuel consumption since he did not really address it. This is his reply.
Tom Horsman
Thanks for Watching! For low and slow it is a fuel miser, very efficient like you would expect from a smoker-grill that has Kamado style characteristics

No one else has covered that little hole on the bottom before. At least I don't remember seeing it. Grill top was wrong about the powder coat. He did get his for free.

There was mention of the Weber Kamado and this is the first vid I see with what seams to be some valid points against the Weber. Thoughts?

I really like this grill and it actually probably would have suited me more than my Summit Kamado does for how I cook most of the time. I am an 85% griller and 15% smoker and the smaller size would be enough for us. I cook on my Summit most of the time with the charcoal on the upper Summit charcoal rack.

That said, I would not really call the Huntsman grill a "Kamado" (which to me means more of a "vertical" cooker)...to me this is just a heavy-duty kettle. Nothing wrong with that. Biggest restriction I see on it (again, like the kettle) is the single charcoal layer. Question...for big cooks, are there any videos showing diffuser setups or anything that let you get multiple briskets or 4 pork shoulders going at once? I do that 2-3 times a year and struggling to see if you could do that.

Oh wow, I really like what I’m seeing on the Huntsman. Unfortunately it’s not in the budget this year…I hope Spider Grills keeps it going so I can pick one up in another year or two. I also don’t know which grill I would get rid of to make space for it either…

I think the biggest advantage this has over other kettle grills is that fuel door. Adding charcoal or wood mid-cook is a major pain point.

Oh wow, I really like what I’m seeing on the Huntsman. Unfortunately it’s not in the budget this year…I hope Spider Grills keeps it going so I can pick one up in another year or two. I also don’t know which grill I would get rid of to make space for it either…

I think the biggest advantage this has over other kettle grills is that fuel door. Adding charcoal or wood mid-cook is a major pain point.
That’s one of the big attractions to me that helped me order. @GrantT ’s comments pretty much fit me. I will look to my Recteq RT-700 for the few big cooks the Huntsman can’t hold. I am mainly hoping the Huntsman will make me less lazy about cooking with charcoal.

That’s one of the big attractions to me that helped me order. @GrantT ’s comments pretty much fit me. I will look to my Recteq RT-700 for the few big cooks the Huntsman can’t hold. I am mainly hoping the Huntsman will make me less lazy about cooking with charcoal.
And fits me in a different way. Makes entry into cooking with charcoal and smoking easier. Seems it is the right grill with the right features and size; at the right prices and time. While it's new, all the positive feedback on here has made me feel better about buying it as an early adopter.

I've only really been a gas griller and hadn't seriously thought about charcoal/smoking until I found this site when researching a new gas grill. But cleaned up my old Weber Silver B, upgraded the grills and it's working well now. So, instead I've decided to spread my wings a little and diversify with the Huntsman. No hurry on a new gas grill, they'll still be there if I need one.

Was in my local Walmart yesterday and looked around the grilling section. Was surprised at the number of accessories and different charcoal, wood, pellets they have there.

I’ve been thinking on this some more.

I think my biggest concern with this grill (and all pellet grills and charcoal gravity smokers) is longevity of the electronics. We all know about 50+ year old Weber kettles still seeing regular use (I have a couple at 15+ years now and expect them to just keep on indefinitely); I can’t imagine the controller on this thing lasting 10-20 years. That’s not any knock on Spider Grills, just a fact of life with electronic goods—I have very very few items with circuit boards that have survived more than a decade of regular use. And even if the Hunstman’s controller is functional in a decade or three, will it have kept up with WiFi/phones tech to still be usable? I know the Huntsman can be used without the controller, and that’s actually a massive positive, so it’s not dead in the water if the controller dies in 20 years and we’re on WiFi version 17 and all phone tech is wearable or telekinetic or whatever. (I know I sound like an old man yelling at the clouds to get off my lawn; I actually work in IT and I just prefer to disconnect at home and try to live low-tech). All that said, I still own a pellet grill and I just accept that it’s not a long-term use item.

And I still want one of these.

I’ve been thinking on this some more.

I think my biggest concern with this grill (and all pellet grills and charcoal gravity smokers) is longevity of the electronics. We all know about 50+ year old Weber kettles still seeing regular use (I have a couple at 15+ years now and expect them to just keep on indefinitely); I can’t imagine the controller on this thing lasting 10-20 years. That’s not any knock on Spider Grills, just a fact of life with electronic goods—I have very very few items with circuit boards that have survived more than a decade of regular use. And even if the Hunstman’s controller is functional in a decade or three, will it have kept up with WiFi/phones tech to still be usable? I know the Huntsman can be used without the controller, and that’s actually a massive positive, so it’s not dead in the water if the controller dies in 20 years and we’re on WiFi version 17 and all phone tech is wearable or telekinetic or whatever. (I know I sound like an old man yelling at the clouds to get off my lawn; I actually work in IT and I just prefer to disconnect at home and try to live low-tech). All that said, I still own a pellet grill and I just accept that it’s not a long-term use item.

And I still want one of these.
I believe they said they plan to sell it for a little less without the Venom.
I'm going to guess that when the intro offer of $750 ends, that they will sell just the Huntsman for $750 still and then $900 with the Venom. So the early adopters are basically getting the venom for free right now.

Back