New The Huntsman Kettle Kamado Grill from Spider coming.

OK. So finally got my first meat on the Huntsman. Not as experienced (yet) as the rest of you, so just easing into it. Some St Louis style ribs. Cooked for 3 hours at 240, then bumped it up (cause I'm hungry) to about 336' or so, no drip pans, but foil underneath. Nothing fancy, just what I had at home. pre-seasoned with Kinders The Blend (salt, pepper, garlic) then after 3 hours or so, some Sweet Baby Ray's sauce. Cooked to 203' on the Spider probe.... did notice a big difference between the Spider probe temp and my ThermaPro Lightning. The probe placement is pretty sensitive.

This is going to be fun learning this style of bbq'ing.

Attachments

• IMG_20240908_194858408.jpg
    IMG_20240908_194858408.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20240908_194407911.jpg
    IMG_20240908_194407911.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 19
I guess I am with Bruno on the cool factor tie-in. But it is nice that Spider made the Huntsman compatible with my arsenal of 22” Weber kettle grates and accessories. Actually, one of my KillaGrilla grates would probably have been a better fit for low and slow ribs. I am, however, looking forward to trying the Huntsmsn stainless spider web grates on some steak and other searing cooks soon.
Jon if you get a chance, I'd love to know if the Aura Kettle Zone grate and ceramic plates fit in it and will work with the door.

Jon if you get a chance, I'd love to know if the Aura Kettle Zone grate and ceramic plates fit in it and will work with the door.
I don't have one of those to positively compare, but looking at it online, I don't see any reason it wouldn't work on the Huntsman with the possible exception that the Huntsman's temperature probe might wind up BELOW the ceramic, but I don't think so. I will have to go out and look more closely.

The nice thing about the Aura vs. the Skyflame with its charcoal ring is that you don't interfere at the charcoal grate level. So, with the Aura you should have no issue with adding fuel. My Skyflame is a nice tool and gave me the 6 hours I needed to do my ribs. Based on what charcoal was left afterwards, it wouldn't have lasted much longer.

The Aura is a lot cheaper and readily available vs. the Huntsman diffuser, but the Huntsman one lets you cook down low and presumably even with two levels.

I don't have one of those to positively compare, but looking at it online, I don't see any reason it wouldn't work on the Huntsman with the possible exception that the Huntsman's temperature probe might wind up BELOW the ceramic, but I don't think so. I will have to go out and look more closely.

The nice thing about the Aura vs. the Skyflame with its charcoal ring is that you don't interfere at the charcoal grate level. So, with the Aura you should have no issue with adding fuel. My Skyflame is a nice tool and gave me the 6 hours I needed to do my ribs. Based on what charcoal was left afterwards, it wouldn't have lasted much longer.

The Aura is a lot cheaper and readily available vs. the Huntsman diffuser, but the Huntsman one lets you cook down low and presumably even with two levels.
Jon, great initial insight to the huntsman. What's intriguing is the swap ability of the weber accessories, i see you have dropped the GBS grate in successfully, what else do you think is interchangeable? ps, does the ss spider grates fit ok into a weber 22 kettle? asking for a friend! Be good to compile a list of compatible accessories to help others to make an informed choice, spider seem to have a well thought out core product and add ons! Bravo!

I appreciate the info. My brother is a tech nut and generally avoids kettle grills or any grill he has to put too much into fire management. I was wondering with the Aura moving the ceramic up and keeping more distance from the bottom might allow for different setups and fuel access as you stated. I have not seen photos of all the various setups inside the Huntsman, or read through all 17 pages on this. It may be the only way I can introduce him to a kettle.
When I said door earlier, I was actually thinking of the lid. I'm too used to not dealing with hinges from my kettles and WSM, so anything on hinges I tend to call a door. I am still recovering from a trip yesterday from Ohio to DC and back in one day, so full clarity of thought has not quite returned to me yet.

No, still waiting on the diffuser. Late summer didn't quite make it, unless you count the calendar end of summer coming up in another week. I don't think that will happen, either.

I don't think Spider anticipated the volume of sales, and given that this was the initial run, there were bound to be delays.

Update-
Box 1 of my Huntsman
View attachment 98701
Really frustrated with Fed Ex. Box 1 has been in Indiana for over a week. Called them and got nothing from them. Just another tracking update that was incorrect. Box 2 is lonely on my patio 😬. So for now I have the “Man” and waiting for the “Hunts”! 😂
Any updates, I would have thought you would have received it by now regardless of travel plans?

Any updates, I would have thought you would have received it by now regardless of travel plans?
Yeah. Fed Ex never located the package or resolved the issue. Spider re-shipped my missing box and it came while I was on vacation. It is still on my patio in the box. Will assemble next week and fire it up!

Yeah. Fed Ex never located the package or resolved the issue. Spider re-shipped my missing box and it came while I was on vacation. It is still on my patio in the box. Will assemble next week and fire it up!
What a cluster...., keep us posted!

I am really interested in seeing someone driving this like an offset, meaning adding a split every 45 minutes or so on a bed of coals. I wonder if you could get some clean smoke flavor. I have a drum smoker…obviously good flavor is possible on a drum but there is a difference between smoldering wood chunks which you get from a kettle/drum and cleanly combusting wood.

I've had the worst luck with FedEx as well, and so have other members of my family.

The local hub is terrible and has left packages sitting for over a week and a half (Did it with my WSM), the regional hub in Georgia, Oklahoma.... We just havent had good luck with any of them. At least one of the packages in a three box order my father won was stolen in transit. My brother has had lost packages show up almost three months later...

Put simply, as a shipping company FedEx is in the midst of a cranial rectal insertion that they have no idea how to get out of.

Started my first steps in getting the Huntsman assembled. Prepped it last night and was very happy at the limited amount of hardware involved.
My son is helping me get it finished tonight and I hope to season it tonight as well and start cooking ASAP!
Some cool little stuff was included and the boxes were very well packed!

Attachments

• IMG_8280.jpeg
    IMG_8280.jpeg
    312.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8281.jpeg
    IMG_8281.jpeg
    279.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8284.jpeg
    IMG_8284.jpeg
    297.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8282.jpeg
    IMG_8282.jpeg
    197.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8283.jpeg
    IMG_8283.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 13
Yes, and I like the seasoning kit included a nice wood brush applicator, the goopy stuff and a wipe on pad like you would use for car wax, all in a cloth bag.

I was impressed, too, that they listened to Tom Horsman and made a late addition of the orange silicone shield for the vent tab, including that with their shipment.

Last edited:
Yes, and I like the seasoning kit included a nice wood brush applicator, the goopy stuff and a wipe on pad like you would use for car wax, all in a cloth bag.

I was impressed, too, that they listened to Tom Horsman and made a late addition of the orange silicone shield for the vent tab, including that with their shipment.
I’m impressed that they responded to every email I sent them in 10 minutes or less!

Back