New The Huntsman Kettle Kamado Grill from Spider coming.

I’m impressed that they responded to every email I sent them in 10 minutes or less!
It’s crazy, I felt bad asking some questions while setting up my Venom, he kept answering. I wanted to type do not reply until tomorrow.

Yes, and I like the seasoning kit included a nice wood brush applicator, the goopy stuff and a wipe on pad like you would use for car wax, all in a cloth bag.

I was impressed, too, that they listened to Tom Horsman and made a late addition of the orange silicone shield for the vent tab, including that with their shipment.
According to Spider Grills the brush is intended for cleaning the inside of the grill before seasoning. The pad is for application. But I'm sure either way works just fine.

Just picked up a 15lb brisket from Costco on the way home from work. The plan is to try my first brisket this weekend.

Any tips suggestions or good websites to refer to? I need to pick up a good rub I guess. What type of charcoal (briquets or lump), wood chunks for smoke, and how much for how long?

Seems like indirect setup, line up fuel along one edge, light from one end, set temp to around 250 and go from there? Is it really necessary to wrap and then put back on? I haven't found butcher wrapping paper yet, or heavy duty foil. Yes, Amazon of course!

Lots of butcher paper on Amazon (of course!). Anything to look for or to avoid? Also will pick up some heavy duty foil I guess.

Lots of butcher paper on Amazon (of course!). Anything to look for or to avoid? Also will pick up some heavy duty foil I guess.
Everything you need to know about how to do a brisket is on this site. Just do a search and you will have more information than you can imagine.

Everything you need to know about how to do a brisket is on this site. Just do a search and you will have more information than you can imagine.
More infomation than you can imagine..... part of the problem, eh?

Kind of like we didn't really need your pictures of the assembled grill since they were already posted on the internet? :)

Just kidding, thought maybe someone might want to point me in the right direction, or provide their favorite tips. Guess not. Everything is on the internet. It can be hard to sift thru all of that. And I'll do my searches, but thought it was all part of the discussion. Sorry to put you out.

Well, I use briquettes for low and slow and have had good luck with Jealous Devil briquettes recently and good luck previously with B&B orange bag. I tend to wrap in butcher paper to conserve bark formation and have had good luck with that. I got a nice big roll of butcher paper on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08YRX5CV3/?tag=tvwb-20

I can't help with setting up the huntsman, but I suspect if you used weber kettle low and slow techniques you will be more than fine (snake method).

Well, I use briquettes for low and slow and have had good luck with Jealous Devil briquettes recently and good luck previously with B&B orange bag. I tend to wrap in butcher paper to conserve bark formation and have had good luck with that. I got a nice big roll of butcher paper on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08YRX5CV3/?tag=tvwb-20

I can't help with setting up the huntsman, but I suspect if you used weber kettle low and slow techniques you will be more than fine (snake method).
Sounds like for this one briquettes might be easiest. Surprisingly, Walmart seems to have a good selection of charcoal types and also has butcher paper and heavy duty foil. But do I need foil if wrapping in paper? Or maybe for resting after final cook?

The local Ace HW also seems to have a good selection of rubs.

OK. Maiden voyage is in the books. Did a tried and true cook…Drumettes! Got a last look at the clean grates!IMG_8347.jpegMade a NegroniIMG_8348.jpegDid a little marinade with some Korean rubIMG_8351.jpegFresh squash on the Gold BIMG_8344.jpegThe meal-IMG_8352.jpegFor a first cook this went very well. Still need to fine tune temp control and timing but my son said these were better than ever. So…they are at least comparable to what I do on my Performer. Fun cook! Cheers!

I got a big old roll from webstaurant back in the day, thought it would last forever but I lost it in a fire.
View attachment 100402
I got 24" wide heavy duty aluminum roll from them. Only place I could find 24" wide. Shipping was expensive, so I signed up for an account for free shipping and then canceled the account. Shipping was pretty crazy, but 500 LF of HD aluminum foil is really heavy.

How large of a brisket can that cooker take?

On another note,
I use the Walmart butcher paper and think it is as good as any.
Same goes with the extra large aluminum foil.

Their parchment paper that comes in singles does suck though.
I use parchment paper when I bake sourdough bread in my Dutch oven.
Every time I’ve used Walmart parchment paper (2 boxes) it stuck to the bottom corner of the bread.

How large of a brisket can that cooker take?

On another note,
I use the Walmart butcher paper and think it is as good as any.
Same goes with the extra large aluminum foil.

Their parchment paper that comes in singles does suck though.
I use parchment paper when I bake sourdough bread in my Dutch oven.
Every time I’ve used Walmart parchment paper (2 boxes) it stuck to the bottom corner of the bread.
The cooking surface is the same as a 22 Kettle. So if you have a diffuser no worries on size. If not, it would depend on how you setup the coals and other factors. I did a 12 pounder no problem.

Back