New Summit gas grills for 2023/2024?

I did it once on the Summit Jon has. Which was my reason for keeping a Genesis. NS burners are pretty much not worth the trouble with. So, perhaps that is a reason. But MANY of us on these boards will spin roasts, chickens, turkey what have you. IIRC Bruce even spins ribs and IIRC also there is an attachment that I can't remember the name of but it had rotating shelves on which you placed racks of ribs on the Weber rotisserie and you could do many more than normal this way.
And yeah, SADLY EW burners are of the past. And that ruined the Genesis IMO. And made it "just" a grill. Albeit as some say a decent to good grill but a "grill" only.
If there is a rear burner you can now do excellent roasting and baking (witness how well my Wolf does pizzas). Or better yet as in that new Kirkland grill the IR burner is mounted up high to the back so it can do top down broiling.
Now suffice to say, I don't spin roasts like I used to because the pellet grills do such an amazing job of roasting a whole bird or cut of meat I don't feel the need

.. also there is an attachment that I can't remember the name of but it had rotating shelves on which you placed racks of ribs on the Weber rotisserie and you could do many more than normal this way.
Are you referring to this? https://ribolator.com/

I'm not here to register a complaint about it but I never understood the idea of referring to it as a rotisserie (and I'm not saying you are); it moves food toward and away from heat but it does not rotate the food (well, okay; it does, but not like a rotisserie, lol).

@Brian B Atlanta has me concerned that I use my IR burner on the Summit. I do enjoy using the Kettle rotisserie but I did not know folks don't like to use the gas burner, which I also use.

When it comes to spinning some good food nothing beats the kettle. Because you can make a "ring of heat", place the piece to be roasted right in the center and it's outstanding. I remember when I had my big kettle back in the 80s. I bought the rotisserie kit for it. Absolutely LOVED it. When we moved out of the city I gave the whole thing away to a friend (co-worker) of my wife's. I just did not feel like packing all that up and beside the handles were rusting off after only a few years
And yes I was referring to the ribolator. Not sure how useful it ever was.

Why should you be concerned if you use rotis on whatever what I was saying a rotis burner in a gasser has limited appeal if I had to guess. My daughter who is 29 works hard as a nurse know her well would never think of spinning anything on a gasser and this is the age group needs to be chasing. They have the money and do not care about spending it providing it has value, she certainly is not coming home from a 12 hour shift and spinning a chicken she will pick one up at Kroger, Publix or whatever.

Well then her demographic would not even bother using a grill period. And sure, all of us (at least wife and I) sometimes just don't do a cook and pick up a rotisserie bird from Costco or Sam's.
But, on a day when she would want to relax and do something nice, maybe she actually would use it if it was there.

I'll guess thermostatically controlled temperature. Charbroil does it for $500.

Goes well with the June acquisition and Weber Connect. Appeal to the folks who want to run it like a pellet pooper and have an app guide their cook. Yes, I know none of us Luddites want that.

Thing is IDK if that idea would work on multiple burner grills. Notice the Charbroil has only one big burner. And then the grill space is limited because it's hard to get a really large burner to run evenly across a large surface. Would be interesting to see just how many of those they actually sell and how successfully they run

Thing is IDK if that idea would work on multiple burner grills. Notice the Charbroil has only one big burner. And then the grill space is limited because it's hard to get a really large burner to run evenly across a large surface. Would be interesting to see just how many of those they actually sell and how successfully they run
It would certainly have to be complex to handle multiple burners. Sounds like another gadget to fail - maybe even in a pretty bad way.

I think there is a dichotomy between the desire for an ultra-modern Summit vs seeing Weber go back to its roots and bring out a Summit that, like the 1st generation one, features extremely solid build (assuming the firebox design is corrected), lots of REAL stainless but still some style absent from so many all-stainless grills...a grill with solid build and not reliant on e-gizmos to establish its credibility. I think, though, that Brian is right, and that Weber isn't chasing over the hill people like me. Younger people WANT the electronic gadgetry. It would be really hard to accommodate such different viewpoints in one grill, so I don't envy Weber's R&D people!

Regarding rotisserie, I am one of those who has NOT used it but still holds out hope that I will - maybe even soon! It's probably true that rotisserie is used by a relatively small minority of gas grillers - and probably not likely to a big interest of millennials that actually still want to grill at all. Fortunately, it is a relatively easy option to offer, although the extra burners required to compensate for N-S weakness for spinning does add to the cost and complexity.

Weber has always made different levels of each grill. Silver B/C, Silver, Gold, Platinum. E310, 320. 330, S310. 320, 330 etc.....
They could and probably will do that with the new Summit. Offer different trim levels. But, they will need to make end the lower level version a quality and solid grill and work up from that.

It would be really hard to accommodate such different viewpoints in one grill, so I don't envy Weber's R&D people!
I don't envy them either its a tall task. I find this article interesting also maybe they have to many models as it is I would be confused on which model to get without doing some heavy research but I am easily confused anyway. :unsure:

That is a very interesting article, with a lot of specs and other info in it. It doesn't sound like weber is going to simplify their line up any time soon...that is for sure.

What I found interesting is this quote:
"Weber has plans to redesign the Genesis and Spirit grills in 2024, aiming to create more comprehensive outdoor cooking appliances. As for the Summit series, changes are also on the horizon."

We had already heard that Summit was getting a make over, but this is the first I have heard that Genesis and Spirit were getting retooled as well.

Zero chance Genesis gets redesigned. It’s brand new! The money has been spent, they will keep it as-is to recoup tooling and R&D costs. Tweak here and there but not a redesign.

Spirit is a mix, they have the same exact Spirit E330 that I bought in 2017. But also the Spirit II line which shares virtually nothing with Spirit. I’m not sure they will do much with Spirit line, could drop Spirit and streamline with Spirit II.

Yah, I don't understand this dualling Spirit/Spirit II and Genesis/Genesis II line going on. It is like they are just continuing to make the Genesis II line after they redesigned it and have two generations of the same grill going. Maybe they will just go ahead and redesign it again and have three generations going. LOL

It gets confusing for us old folks.

Weber really could use some streamlining. Too many options, I would say a 2 burner and 3 burner Spirit II, couple of colors if they wish (it had four when released). Cast iron grates. LP

Then step up to the Genesis. 3 and 4 burners. Open or enclosed. Maybe offer a version with cast iron or stainless grates. Stainless, black and colored options. LP and NG

Then into Summit. Heavy duty stainless grates, rotisserie and burner, real nice stainless trim on black or full stainless for those. 4 and 6 burner. This is your top of the line “I’m making decent money and am treating myself to the best on the market” grill for your average joes or doctor types. LP and NG. This has to be top notch quality and ooze appeal, it’s a Rolls Royce compared to your Cadillac and Toyota versions.

That’s two grills for Spirit II (with easily changed lid colors), 4-5 for Genesis, and 4 for Summit.

Oh, I suppose Genesis and Summit should come standard with the Weber Connect

Yah, it is always a question how to accessorize each model, but if Weber would pare it down a little in each line, then maybe they could keep their prices a little lower without sacrificing quality.

My suggestion to Weber is to get a bunch of photos of actual people's deck/patio spaces. Then they can create their price points based on the values of the homes/income of the homeowners. The last step is relatively easy - decide how many lines they will need (create/delete models as necessary), design grills that look and function great in those spaces, and market them accordingly.

The low end will always come down to price vs. value.

The high end is also pretty easy because the customers aren't particularly price sensitive. They will pay for quality.

The trick is the middle class market. How do you convince regular folks to spend more than they think they ought to on a grill? How many models do you need to do that?

Yah, and to think people do 4 or more years of college and tens of thousands of dollars for a degree in marketing.

Weber really could use some streamlining. Too many options...
I saw this with PCs and laptops when I worked at HP. Two brands (HP and Compaq) with line-ups for everyday use, gamers, creative types, business, premium models, etc. and then different configurations in each of those line-ups, plus special configs for certain retailers so that Fry's Electronics (RIP) could offer something that nobody else had. It creates a lot of confusion for customers, I always wished they would just simplify, simplify, simplify, but apparently the marketing team knows best. It was our job to figure out how to represent it clearly on the website, and we weren't always successful at doing that. :confused:

I was remembering that Weber has dabbled in configurations for kettle grills...maybe Summit gas should come as a base model then you pick only the add-ons you want. Griddle on the side? Infrared burner on the side? Gas burner on the side? Infrared burner under one of the cooking grates? Interior lighting kit? Roti kit including infrared back burner + associated hardware? Weber Outdoor Crafted Accessories bundle? Pick your lid color? Custom badging "Custom built by Weber for Chris Allingham". Would certainly be a unique approach.

Back