New Stainless Grate question

ALarsen

Hi Guys I have a Weber Genesis II LX E-440 grill that I am getting some new Stainless Steel grates from Weber under warranty. I was wondering if you guys recommend doing an initial oil coating on them to help prevent food from sticking to them? Or do you just make sure to oil them or the food before cooking it?

Hi Guys I have a Weber Genesis II LX E-440 grill that I am getting some new Stainless Steel grates from Weber under warranty. I was wondering if you guys recommend doing an initial oil coating on them to help prevent food from sticking to them? Or do you just make sure to oil them or the food before cooking it?
I season grates by grilling onions.

I just received a set of 9mm SS grates for my Genesis II E-335 and did a couple of coats of avocado oil on them,
letting them cool between coats. I'll apply another coat when I'm ready to cook.

I never did either. Besides maybe wiping them off to remove any factory dirt/debris, I just start cooking. If anything, a quick wipe down with a paper towel soaked with veggie oil or a quick spray with the spray stuff. But, I have never tried to "Season" my SS grates before hand. That all gets handled in short order through the cooking process.

I just received a set of 9mm SS grates for my Genesis II E-335 and did a couple of coats of avocado oil on them,
letting them cool between coats. I'll apply another coat when I'm ready to cook.
I wish my grates were 9mm. It seems Weber doesn't make 9mm for the Genesis II 400 series. I know there is Quilmetal on amazon but I am not going to be buying grates right now. The old ones started to show a rust color which wouldn't come off with cleaning and I always cover the grill and don't leave them wet at all. So they replaced them and actually the flavorizer bars under warranty. Can't complain about it for free. But still hope to get 9mm SS grates some day.

What happened to your original stainless grates to make Weber replace them?

One thing I have learned is that if you let your grill heat all the way up before you put your food on, it will stick a lot lot less.

I use that spray on chicken pieces before throwing them on the grill. That is one meat that seems to stick sometimes but then not others. The spray prevents it every time.

I wish my grates were 9mm. It seems Weber doesn't make 9mm for the Genesis II 400 series. I know there is Quilmetal on amazon but I am not going to be buying grates right now. The old ones started to show a rust color which wouldn't come off with cleaning and I always cover the grill and don't leave them wet at all. So they replaced them and actually the flavorizer bars under warranty. Can't complain about it for free. But still hope to get 9mm SS grates some day.
If you brush stainless with a carbon steel brush or steel wool, the grates can pick up inclusions and oxidize. Even a stainless brush can get contaminated if you use it on your rusty charcoal grill grates. I did it without thinking one day, and now that brush is dedicated to the charcoal grill.

To prevent sticking on my 8mm 304SS grates, I preheat the grill then use a paper towel gripped by a pair of tongs to apply a thin layer of oil to the grates. I find this method requires less oil than oiling the food. It allows me to grill chicken wings without losing the skin to the grates.

Sorry, the thought of grilled mayo does not sit well with me. I honestly have no trouble with fish sticking and I do nothing special at all

If you brush stainless with a carbon steel brush or steel wool, the grates can pick up inclusions and oxidize. Even a stainless brush can get contaminated if you use it on your rusty charcoal grill grates. I did it without thinking one day, and now that brush is dedicated to the charcoal grill.
If you use steel wool on your grates, you're going to be eating steel wool on your next cook. Yuck.

Back