New owner - very used 18.5 WSM

Charcoal ring - my father in law has some SS expanded metal lying around that I'm going to fashion into a replacement charcoal ring. If there's enough, I might even put a bottom on it like some of the aftermarket parts I've seen.

Thank you Timothy - I'll probably try this with some high heat rtv sealant until I decide to replace the bottom bowl. :)
I'm not sure about the "C" model - from the pictures on here - they had raised "slots" on the dampers between the holes and mine are completely smooth...
I took the wood handle off and did notice it has two prongs that stick upwards on either end of the handle...I don't know if that offers any clues?
Maybe the Guru of all WSM's (Mr. A) might see this and chime in?

If I were you I would call Weber and see if they can sell you a bowl. If they are and the price is right I would do that.

If you are handy you can try to fix it but how much would that cost is it worth your time? My suspicion is that hole will cause the temperature to run way too high.

Here's a link for a new bowl.

It may be worth patching yourself.
JWorden, I called Weber to see if they could help narrow down what model of the WSM I have (no such luck) BUT I told them about the charcoal bowl and they gave me the $100+ price then took off $34 & waived shipping! For less than $70 it's worth it for me. Thanks again!

Bite the bullet on the new bottom bowl, it will last you the rest of your life.
Patch the bottom for the time being, fine. As long as the dampers actually close you should be ok. The hole in the bottom will/3 acting like an additional draft hole unless it’s covered. I can’t say anything about high heat epoxy never used it.
Replace the grates, they are not that expensive buy some pork butts and get to it!
Welcome
Timothy F, I called Weber to see if they could help narrow down what model of the WSM I have (no such luck) BUT I told them about the charcoal bowl and they gave me the $100+ price then took off $34 & waived shipping! For less than $70 it's worth it for me. Charcoal bowl and bottom dampers all replaced in one swoop. Thanks again!

JWorden, I called Weber to see if they could help narrow down what model of the WSM I have (no such luck) BUT I told them about the charcoal bowl and they gave me the $100+ price then took off $34 & waived shipping! For less than $70 it's worth it for me. Thanks again!
That's a great deal!

Be sure to report back how it works.

Hi everyone sorry this post is delayed. I received replacement bottom bowl then realized the charcoal grate wasn't right. I worked up a charcoal basket out of expanded metal (still need to work it a bit and weld the bottom to it) but the first smoke is under way!

Beef ribs on top and a brisket flat in the middle over the water pan. From the last cow we had butchered.

Dialing in the temp is a bit challenging but I'm sure experience will help. Any general rules you've found that help? I have top vent wide open and bottom three I'm adjusting...it seems I can get it down to barely creeping up and slowly creeping down but not just to hold steady. Thoughts?

Do all three bottom vents need to be open for circulation or can you close two and leave 1 wide open?

Attachments

• 20210529_132509.jpg
    20210529_132509.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210529_132602.jpg
    20210529_132602.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210529_141818.jpg
    20210529_141818.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210529_145959.jpg
    20210529_145959.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 14
You could just use one vent but I try to use all three almost closed instead of one wide open and two closed. Do whatever works for you.

I had the same problem with a Kettle up on top so what I did I went to the hardware store and bought a cover for the sinks like for the sprayer if you don’t use it and I just replaced it with that I didn’t paint it couldn’t find a paint that would hold up to the heat so I just left it as it is that might be an idea

Attachments

• 2EC75D2C-AA1D-4468-B2F3-E4AB5FD55A02.jpeg
    2EC75D2C-AA1D-4468-B2F3-E4AB5FD55A02.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 11
I had a problem similar to yours but mine was on the Weber kettle 22 what I did I picked up from the hardware store a cover for a sinkhole that you can cover up that sprayer hole that you don’t use and I use the lid on the inside and it worked fine you can give that a try

If I were you I would call Weber and see if they can sell you a bowl. If they are and the price is right I would do that.

If you are handy you can try to fix it but how much would that cost is it worth your time? My suspicion is that hole will cause the temperature to run way too high.

Here's a link for a new bowl.

It may be worth patching yourself.
If you want to patch and use while looking for parts use a large diameter area washer inside and out with screw and nut. You can form the washer to fit the bowl contour by dimpling the washer with a ball peen hammer into a large socket .
It will not take much forming to make it fit flush.

Back