New, Old WSM

Pete Palos

Hello everyone, brand new guy to these forums. Been looking for a smoker for a little while and been browsing around here trying to get some ideas and recommendations from all you seasoned veterans. Mostly doom on a weber gas and weber kettle right now but never really smoked. Anyway I found a older WSM at a yard sale this past weekend and couldn't pass it up. Only problem is it doesn't have any temperature gauge on it, not sure how old it is. My question is what should I do first, kinda looking online for a gauge for so many and just one, where to place it. Cheaper one, spend more? I guess I have many questions being the new guy. If anyone can help it is much appreciated. I'll be on reading as much as possible trying to learn what I can. Thanks again, Pete

Welcome. I wouldn't recommend spending money on a thermometer that you install on the Weber. The temperature will be different in the dome vs. on the grill grate. I would recommend a wireless thermometer that can measure both grill and meat temp (I like the Maverick brand of thermometers). Also, since yours doesn't have a thermometer on it, it is probably an older model that was built prior to 2008. However, it will still work the same as the newer model. Enjoy and ask questions.

Hello everyone, brand new guy to these forums. Been looking for a smoker for a little while and been browsing around here trying to get some ideas and recommendations from all you seasoned veterans. Mostly doom on a weber gas and weber kettle right now but never really smoked. Anyway I found a older WSM at a yard sale this past weekend and couldn't pass it up. Only problem is it doesn't have any temperature gauge on it, not sure how old it is. My question is what should I do first, kinda looking online for a gauge for so many and just one, where to place it. Cheaper one, spend more? I guess I have many questions being the new guy. If anyone can help it is much appreciated. I'll be on reading as much as possible trying to learn what I can. Thanks again, Pete

I would go for a good dual probe thermometer like the maverick et 732, 733 so you can monitor smoker temp and meat temp at the same time. use the amazon link on this page. they often have the best deals.

What do you guys do to get the probes into the WSM? I thought I saw somewhere where you drill a hole and there's some type of grommet that is used. Thanks

I agree you need to know about how hot your smoker is running. Something like Steven said above will get you up and running on the cheap side and works fine. I had that exact thermo for 10 years and never had a problem.

Here is one I found for about 6-7 dollars. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000CFO5P/tvwb-20 After you read here for awhile you will know what appeals to you. Fire that dog up and run it at 225-250 and have fun. You bought a great little smoker!

Dale Nichols;
I also suggest the Maverick remote thermometer. I have the 732 and it will not only make a long cook easier to take (using the remote while you can do something else), but it will also accelerate your learning curve. Knowing the correct temps (at the grate) will enable you to accurately reproduce a cook (or improve one) - that's what a good digital therm with remote will do for you.

Keep on smokin':wsm:,
Dale53

Dale Nichols;
I also suggest the Maverick remote thermometer. I have the 732 and it will not only make a long cook easier to take (using the remote while you can do something else), but it will also accelerate your learning curve. Knowing the correct temps (at the grate) will enable you to accurately reproduce a cook (or improve one) - that's what a good digital therm with remote will do for you.

Keep on smokin':wsm:,
Dale53

Yep I have a Maverick and Thermoworks stuff also and it all does a great job. I just suggested something if your on a budget to get you going. I actually have way to many expensive things because this hobby can get in your wallet fast. Hint: Christmas is right around the corner. I am thinking about a BBQ Guru even though I don't need it.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Pete. All have given excellant suggestions. Read through the forums and see what works best for you. Remember, the WSM is very forgiving and with a good instant read thermometer, you will do well. Enjoy.

So is the Maverick e733 the best one to get? Looking on Amazon at them and they about $70. I kinda wanna pull the trigger and get smoking . Any others to consider? Comments? Thoughts ? Thanks again

A lot of folks use the slot mod, as seen in the link that ChuckO stuck up. My WSM came with the pre-dilled hole and grommet & works fine for me. I have the Maverick 732 & it was a great investment.

So is the Maverick e733 the best one to get? Looking on Amazon at them and they about $70. I kinda wanna pull the trigger and get smoking . Any others to consider? Comments? Thoughts ? Thanks again

I used an ET-73 and upgraded last year to the ET-733 and its a big improvement. much better range and larger display. Keep your eyes open, they pop up on sale. I got a cyber monday deal last year for $20 off.

Eventually i want to move to a smartphone based therm that graphs temp but not until price goes down and reliability goes up. For now my 733 does just fine. Still have my 73 and that still works too.

I am a maverick 733 owner and love it. I didn't do anything fancy for the wires. I just run them under the lid.

Back