New NG Weber with a couple of interesting things

R Mcleod

Hi guys,
I have been looking for A NG Weber for our Rec Property. As I had a silver already I wanted one of a similar age and Quality. For the last Month there has been a flurry of Platinum and Silver sales which I never got too. So I found and bought this one. Got it for $125 CDN, ($90 USD). It has a little rust on the front panel and I suspect some rust on the front where the box is attached to the side. Going to start to take it apart to grind rust down and repaint
First off it has a different colour of the enamel, it has a smoke box on the left side above the cross tube More Picts to come and a button that you have to push to get it to light. So what is it?BBQ.JPGpanel detail.JPGsmoker.JPGFB.JPG

Here's an explanation of the extra button -

I had the same smoker, it's a genuine Weber add-on, worked just OK until it rusted out on the bottom, fortunately I had kept the grate cut off piece and flavorizer bar when I removed it.

Thanks that solved all three questions, enamel colour, flame check and smoker box. The smoker box is still in good shape other than I need to reattach the flip lid as the rivets/bolts are no longer attached. Previous owner used a rock to keep the flame check open while lighting (igniter not working). I will have to ask if the rockt has to be on all the time.

Odds are with the color combo and accessories it was/is a 4000? Basically a 5000 with no cabinet

I believe that is a Genisis 4000. Pretty rare animal. If it had the cabinet with the glass doors, it would be a 5000. Too bad with the damage to the lid. That color is pretty rare as well.

Yah, what Larry said...hahha

So it only took a few weeks but this was my first rehab. I actually found a new thermocoupler so I am going to see if that works.Lots of carbon buildup so razoring the inside of the lid took forever. The outside back of the lid was yellow where the razor and simple green had a good workout.The previous owner used the smoker a lot so maybe that was why. Will keep the original grates as they fit with the smoker. Going to buy a full set of SS grates and swap out smoker for regular BBQ. Taking it down to southern BC to our property in Fernie.

20200817_154745.jpg

20200817_154751.jpg

20200817_154759.jpg

20200817_154829.jpg

20200817_154859.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I found that the slats were either a pine or another soft wood. stain is natural cedar. The sanding and staining seemed to take forever.

That is a very sweet rig. You're right as far as the grates. Those smoker boxes were kinda useless. They just filled the inside of the grill with ashes and corroded the burner (wood ash is corrosive remember it's a main component of lye). Hopefully the thermocouple is working

That is a pretty distinguished looking grill. What are you calling a thermocoupler????

That is a pretty distinguished looking grill. What are you calling a thermocoupler????
Its the round button to the left of the rocker switch above someone posted the link to the flame check. They almost always went bad hence the brick on that round switch pretty common almost bought a 5000 a few years ago same issue. RM said he found another one and hopefully it works but if I remember there was a guy from Australia pretty sure Rich helped him out with some parts from RC that disabled it so it can be disabled he bypassed it.

If you look on the main panel by the front valve there is a button you have to push to light the BBQ. It uses a themocouple that heats up nd allows the gas to flow so you can light the BBQ. the sensor sits right by the ignitor near the burner. I can get a shot of it if you want

Thanks Chris. That is a great explanation. Yah, I would probably replumb the darn thing to bypass that vavle.

FlameCheck was all covered in my blog post, mentioned earlier in this thread, and includes close-up photos.

View attachment 12219

It took some doing, but I was able to register my Genesis Jr. with Weber. Why am I posting this here? Because one of the document links from the registry is for the flamecheck system. Link below:

Flamecheck Safety System Manual

Last edited by a moderator:

Back