New Kingsford Sucks!

I have been using kingsford for a long time...but I recently bought a few bags of the royal oak charcoal because they were on sale.

I'm going to be doing a few racks of ribs today and will use the royal oak. It's not the lump charcoal, it's the briquettes. I'll be sure to post my experience. My gut feeling though is that they will perform just as well as the kingsfords.

Too bad royal oak doesn't have a web site! Maybe we should think about boycotting kingsford and using royal oak....and send royal oak an email asking them not to change their formula!

I bought a bag of Royal Oak briquets and I'll use that for shorter cooks. I'll save my Kingsford for overnighters. I've inferred from comments on this thread that a few people think a full ring of the Royal Oak will last for a 16- to 18-hour cook, same as Kingsford. I'm hoping someone has tried it in the last week or so to verify the previous findings.

I'm going to try one more Lowe's today, to see if they still have some old Kingsford, but if Royal Oak will do the 16- to 18-hour cooks, I'd rather not have to find a place to store more Kingsford.

Rita,

I bought Royal Oak briquettes last year because it was on sale. I used it mostly for grilling, but in my one barbecue cook on the WSM I thought it cooked as well as Kingsford. It was a 10 hour cook, but there was plenty left in the charcoal ring.

I've seen others comment that they like the flavor from RO better than the King, but I didn't notice. Something about an ammonia smell/taste with Kinsford.

Jim

I picked up 2 bags of RO briqs last summer. It acted just like Kingsford briqs. All RO cooks were overnighters and no problems at all.

Thanks, Jim and Bill. In that case, unless I hear to the contrary, I think I'll forego my trip to Lowe's in another suburb.

Rita

This coming Sunday, April 9, I will be spending several hours at the Clorox Technical Center in Pleasanton, CA with the Kingsford R&D Manager and an R&D scientist. They have a couple of WSMs that we'll be firing up, and of course lots of temperature measurement equipment.

We'll go through the Minion Method process, talk through some issues that people have brought up here on the BB, take a look at some of their test results, and get a tour of their testing facilities.

I'll let you know how it goes. Should be interesting.

Regards,
Chris

Cool Chris--it would be a great addition to the site if you could give us a 1 minute video tour if they let you tape any of it.
Let us know what you find.

jeff

Chris

I think that's great and, imo, it is a recognition by a major manufacturer that your site, TVWB, has significant influence on the buying practices of their customers. I also, salute Kingsford in recognizing this and being willing to take some rather extraordinary steps. Makes me want to stick with the product, if I can.

Paul

Chris, that's great! Please pass along all of our thanks to them for being willing to respond to this market segment's concerns in such a manner.

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time

That is good news to hear. I am sure you will let them know our opinions and let us know what you learn please. Thanks

Randy

The little smoker that could.
icon_biggrin.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Chris,

Thanks for giving up part of your Sunday to spend on this research. I'll be looking for your smiling face on bags of the new Low & Slow Kingsford - "Recommended for use on the WSM by Chris Allingham, founder of The Virtual Weber Bullet Website."

Jim

p.s. Can you tone down the title of this thread as a matter of goodwill to Kingsford?

Fantastic, Chris! I would also be interested in any and all information you might be able to provide concerning their temperature monitoring equipment. I can think of a couple others here that would be interested too.
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
This coming Sunday, April 9, I will be spending several hours at the Clorox Technical Center in Pleasanton, CA with the Kingsford R&D Manager and an R&D scientist. They have a couple of WSMs that we'll be firing up, and of course lots of temperature measurement equipment.

We'll go through the Minion Method process, talk through some issues that people have brought up here on the BB, take a look at some of their test results, and get a tour of their testing facilities.

I'll let you know how it goes. Should be interesting.

Regards,
Chris

Chris, you are Heroic.

Anxiously awaiting this.

I'm normally a loyal Kingsford Blue Bag user, in fact I much prefer that for my WSM over lump for just everyday WSM use.

But I admit I've been hesitant to buy a bag of the new Kingsford because of all the hoopla over it. I've been using lump instead.

So yeah, post those results, Chris. Thanks! And looking forward to this...

Congratulations Chris. I really hope you enjoy the experience. This is a testament to what a great board you run here. I'm proud to be a small part of it.

Not that it wasn't already, but I think this pretty much validates that the Minion Method is the name for the way we light and tend a fire.

Maybe with all that test equipment, Kingsford can resolve whether or not there is a difference in temp between the upper and lower grate.
icon_razz.gif

Chris - find out how many bags of the old stuff they tucked away. Maybe they can pay you for your time in charcoal
icon_biggrin.gif

I think the RD department is going to find there is a big difference between cooking at 225 degrees and 375 degrees no matter what cooker your useing. Chris show them how it's done!
icon_smile.gif
I've also switched to useing lump I figured what the heck if I have to learn a new feul may as well be lump.

Chris that's really cool, I'm looking forward to reading all about it.

With regard to Minion method and WSM and Kingsford I wonder if it would be worth mentioning sand or the Brinkmann pan many of us use as a couple of variables.

If the opportunity arises I'd also love to hear what they have to say about any potential impact different altitudes could have when using their product with the Minion method.

Finally, I wonder if they could offer some insight, even a general comparison between the test fuel and Kingsford produced at different US locations and in other countries, or even variance between batches fom the same facility (confirm or debunk a couple of elusive perpetual myths).

Back