New here, resto-modding Genesis 1000

ChaseE

Hi everyone. Finding this forum was a godsend! So much great info to help me through my project. I'm the original owner, bought it early 90's. Went unused and neglected a few years ago when the cross braces of the frame rotted out. But now I'm bringing it back to life in a big way!

First off, I'm not going pure restoration. Definitely going to do a few mods both for longevity and aesthetic. With that, my first question is:

Any suggestions on good rubber wheel replacements? Something that might fit a hand truck, or the like? I'm sticking with stock casters, but the mains I want more beefy and rubber tread.

Second question, the tiny friction clips that held the badge on the lid got destroyed when I removed them. Anyone source these and have a link, or would box store maybe have them?

I'll probably have a ton more, but I'll try to collect them in batches before posting.

There have been several replacements for the wheels, but I don't recall any specific. I think Harbor Frieght might have something.
As for the clips, you should be able to find them at a small ACE or True Value type hardware store. They are called push nuts or something like that. Take a badge in with you so you can get the correct size. They will have several sizes.
Otherwise, you can get some red RTV high heat silicone and "stick" it on with that. I use that on most of my rehabs.
Don't forget to check out this section: https://tvwbb.com/tags/how-to/

If you have a tap and die set, you could always run a 1/4-20 die down the stud on the badge and then just put a nut on it. Otherwise, yeah - do what Bruce said.

The wheels are 8" and I think pretty common to find replacements. The really old Weber 26" Weber kettle grills actually had wheels more like what you want.

Something like this from Harbor Freight might work:

For longevity, I think most here would agree that the most important things you should invest in are quality stainless rod grates and thick, stainless-steel flavorizer bars.

Along this resto/mod vein, does anyone know about replacement wheels with “baby moon” style hubcaps?
I’m in the “pipe dreaming” stage of a rather crazy frame restoration project.
Just spit balling.

I'll just vouch for using high temp RTV on the badge. The badge on my 3000 has been RTV'ed on for several years now without any problems. Also, if I want to take it off, it just unsticks with a little encouragement from a screwdriver, but it's not loose or anything. The RTV is a great way to stick the logo back on, it doesn't damage anything and it's not permanent either, just in case one day you want to repaint and sand the logo again.

Along this resto/mod vein, does anyone know about replacement wheels with “baby moon” style hubcaps?
I’m in the “pipe dreaming” stage of a rather crazy frame restoration project.
Just spit balling.
You can order the black and white wheels on ereplacementparts.com

You can order the black and white wheels on ereplacementparts.com
Thanks but, I’m not talking about “stock” I want something elegant, nothing like the basic stuff.
this will be the last project like this I think I will want to do so, I want it very much a higher degree of elegance!

Hey everyone. Question: Rustoleum High Heat, or High Heat Ultra? Can't figure out the difference, other than price.

Back