New Genesis 2022

Steffen,

I checked out the link you provided. A GREAT board. I just wish I spoke German. I commend and admire you for being able to speak English so well along with German (and maybe more?)

I know we would love to have that fully documented restore added to our board as well. If you have time, please do add a thread about it here.

p.s. I was blessed to be able to spend a week in Germany two years ago. We were primarily attending a book fair in Frankfurt, but we traveled quite a bit visiting Wittenburg, Berlin and crossing over back on a more northerly route. I was there to assist the Director of our Publishing ministry. He was kind enough to add stops for me at the Tank Museum in Munster and also the Weber company store! The Weber store was fantastic! Nothing like it here in the US.

IMG_2643.jpeg

IMG_2642.jpeg

IMG_5714.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, I am even getting the "hankerin" for a SmokeFire (type) grill. I doubt I will ever again give Weber the kind of coin that thing requires unless I can find a deal on a used one. But yeah the pellet type unit is beginning to pique my interest. But with the way my house and youngest daughter are making me bleed $$$$ IDK if it will ever be possible

Larry, I have seen a couple decent deals on them used. If I see something pop up, I will let you know. Are you looking for the big or smaller one?

Larry, I have seen a couple decent deals on them used. If I see something pop up, I will let you know. Are you looking for the big or smaller one?
Since it will be sharing my deck with the Wolf and Genesis I think the smaller unit would be the ticket. I like the SmokeFire just not the $$$$

Larry, I would love it if you got your hands on a used SmokeFire at a great price. It would be very interesting to hear your impression after working with one for a few cooks.

I would add the Camp Chef 24" to that consideration, especially a later model with some of the updated features if you can find one at a good deal. I would suggest Recteq, but they seem to hold their value and even used are usually sold too high. I got lucky on mine with someone moving out of state.

I have been watching Jon. If someone sees a bargain on the smaller version nearby me I am all ears. I figure they'll pop up some time.

Larry, I would love it if you got your hands on a used SmokeFire at a great price. It would be very interesting to hear your impression after working with one for a few cooks.

I would add the Camp Chef 24" to that consideration, especially a later model with some of the updated features if you can find one at a good deal. I would suggest Recteq, but they seem to hold their value and even used are usually sold too high. I got lucky on mine with someone moving out of state.
I have the Camp Chef 24 (Dick's Sporting Goods Version), along with the Sidekick attachment. I have been pretty happy with it. If I were to move to the Weber Smokefire, it would have to be for the EX6 as I find the 24in a bit limiting. I was hoping to snag one of the 1/2 off Smokefires, but no luck.

1642023105806.png

Larry, I agree a smokefire would be great, but as I type this my 24 MZG Camp Chef is chugging along at a steady 275 cooking up some ribs for us tonight. I would do the same thing over again. It's closing in on 2 1/2 years and 200 cooks with no problems whatsoever. I don't know if I would completely trust the Weber.
As I get older the easier the better I like it.

It seems like Camp Chef is getting more recognition lately. BabyBackManiac did a review (in his own unique style) on the newest version of the 24". It was an even-handed review, I think, but I was impressed by the many virtues these grills have. Then there is Rich Dhal who we know and trust who has had such a very positive experience with his. It remains on my possible list. I just want a smaller second pellet grill for events, but the 24" Camp Chef has a nice shelf configuration that lets you cook quite a bit.

I was able to see the new Genesis in Home Depot this morning. A three burner with a sear station for $899.
I think the build quality is more on par with the previous Spirit II, as opposed to the Genesis II. The shelves are much larger and contribute to a larger footprint, though the steel did seem a bit thin. This grill was put together poorly, as you can see how the firebox, shelf and control panel are not lined up properly, but this is not a QC issue for Weber, rather one for HD.

Also note that the two grill grates are not equal halves, rather they are split catiwampus where the left is about 1/3 of the cooking area, and the remainder is the right grate. Someone put a rubber snake in there to be funny. I was not immediately amused, it took me a minute to see the humor.

While the firebox appeared a bit thinner than previous fireboxes, it was still substantial and I see no issue with it.

The knobs and valves have a tightly machined precision feel to them and seem to be all metal, which makes me wonder if they get hot.

Here’s my somewhat poor analogy, if grills were chairs, the Weber Genesis used to stand out as a Captains chair. Not any more. The new look is a bit less Weber and a bit more Char-broil or Nextgrill. Meh.

Weber appears to have carried over the GS4 cooking system, but I saw no mention of it or badging.

The castor locks did not work properly, but again, this could be from improper assembly.

My feeling on the cabinet cart hasn’t changed. I didn’t like it before, and now that it is black, I really don’t like it.
For as long as I can remeber, all of the ‘throw-away’ gas grills seemed to favor a black cabinet made from cheap sheet steel that would rust out in no time.
In the past, the Genesis‘ sturdy open-cart design was something that helped Weber stand apart from those grills, but with this move away from having and open-cart option, Weber risks disappearing into junky grill ubiquity. Sorry, I should have took a pic for reference. This example was quite wobbly as well, but I chalk that up to poor assembly.

Anyway, thats, my two very opinionated cents, after seeing it for myself.

Attachments

• 9A54DDC9-FCAA-4358-89A6-5B21A8457503.jpeg
    9A54DDC9-FCAA-4358-89A6-5B21A8457503.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 792BFD37-3839-4698-8D60-5C9408E0074F.jpeg
    792BFD37-3839-4698-8D60-5C9408E0074F.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I am trying to warm up a little, at least, to the new reality. When my 31-year-old son said he thought the new Genesis Tech grill looked "good" it did make me realize how out of touch my old-fashioned taste has become. I am sure my son would think that the 35-year-old Genesis 3 I dragged home earlier this week was nothing more than a fossil:rolleyes:.

On the grate proportions, I think this uneven split has to do with Weber upping the area for the searing grate (and other new style attachments). That's a good idea to me. At least you finally have room to sear enough to feed a family instead of the two steaks that might barely fit on the old round GBS grate. Also, they are positioning this over the side with the extra burner. The GBS grates in the US have been centered, so if you had a grill with the extra searing burner it wasn't even underneath your searing grate :unsure: . When I was in Germany 2 years ago, I saw this off-center grate with a GBS opening that lined up with the grill's sear burner. I thought back then that this was a much better idea, so I am glad that it is being adapted for the new Genesis line.

IMG_2640.jpeg

Larry, I agree a smokefire would be great, but as I type this my 24 MZG Camp Chef is chugging along at a steady 275 cooking up some ribs for us tonight. I would do the same thing over again. It's closing in on 2 1/2 years and 200 cooks with no problems whatsoever. I don't know if I would completely trust the Weber.
As I get older the easier the better I like it.
Rest assured I am watching all this. If not a SF I will likely pull the trigger sometime on a nice pellet unit. One thing I do like about the SF is it's "clean" design. No smokestack. So if I want to cover it there is no stack to snag also no large box to the side due to the hopper being more in the back. But still in the end it's function over form. So I am watching where the advice goes here

Rest assured I am watching all this. If not a SF I will likely pull the trigger sometime on a nice pellet unit. One thing I do like about the SF is it's "clean" design. No smokestack. So if I want to cover it there is no stack to snag also no large box to the side due to the hopper being more in the back. But still in the end it's function over form. So I am watching where the advice goes here
Got to admit the smokestack is a PITA with getting the cover on or off. But the pellet box and right-hand shelf it's just like putting the cover on my Gen 2000, got 20 + years of experience doing that LOL

Steffen,

I checked out the link you provided. A GREAT board. I just wish I spoke German. I commend and admire you for being able to speak English so well along with German (and maybe more?)

I know we would love to have that fully documented restore added to our board as well. If you have time, please do add a thread about it here.

p.s. I was blessed to be able to spend a week in Germany two years ago. We were primarily attending a book fair in Frankfurt, but we traveled quite a bit visiting Wittenburg, Berlin and crossing over back on a more northerly route. I was there to assist the Director of our Publishing ministry. He was kind enough to add stops for me at the Tank Museum in Munster and also the Weber company store! The Weber store was fantastic! Nothing like it here in the US.

View attachment 43300

View attachment 43301

View attachment 43302
Hi Jon, this was the Weber Store at Gründau - once I was there for an bbq event 😃

Great review and comparison of New Genesis vs Genesis II. Finally doubled the rotisserie height! Now if they ever ad a dedicated roti burner and IR burner they would have a contender to Napoleon.

Good informative video. Kinda long though. I understand the new grills much better now. That SS model looks soo much better than the black base model. The black ones just look like a redesigned Spirit.

Back