New for 2017: Weber Genesis II Gas Grills

PaulK provided some measurements in this reply earlier in this thread.

Thanks Chris, missed the last few pages when reading through! the burner tech looks interesting. I used to drool over the summit grills and almost found an early model Summit to restore on Craigslist, but when I saw in person it was too rusted through.

Just checked out the home depot link. Prices vary alot. For a 4 burner open cart it doesn't seem too bad in price, But the more up you go in features it goes into summit territory. Wonder what's new for summit line next.

These two just too close to call !

4 burner summit or 4 burner genesis? same price!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Summit-E-420-4-Burner-Propane-Gas-Grill-in-Black-7121001/202176248
or
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Ge...Propane-Gas-Grill-in-Black-62014001/300170109

Last edited:
The family

34q2pao.jpg

Nice, looks like a happy family, what's the flooring material (slats) for the open cart, looks metal but could be composite wood?

Do we know the official release date for the 2017 models?
Or when the full info will be up on Weber's website?
They're already at my local Ace Hardware store here in San Jose, at least four of the base model units (no LX models yet). I took some photos and will post something later tonight.

Assembly Guide/Operating Manual and schematics are now up on Weber.com.

Here's a link to my write-up about my initial impressions of the Genesis II base models I saw at Ace Hardware today, including many photos of the guts.

2017 Weber Genesis II: First Impressions

Thanks for the write up. I think the 4 burner grill you saw is actually an SE-410. I found it on Ace's website. It looks like a stainless alternate to the open cabinet models without the full enclosure.

http://m.acehardware.com/product/in..._clickid=31e99b3a-9c3b-8889-42a6-00000e4d44b7

We're the grills available for purchase? Or just on display?

Pretty sad IMO. Blatantly "made in China" (of course the older ones were only really "packaged here" since they had to be assembled also. This means some Chinese work "slaves" that are made to live in dormitories, work 16 hour days and paid $.50 an hour are "building?" these new products. Very sad state of affairs and think of the profit margin since the prices have gone through the roof. Now they're selling a product for say $1500 that maybe has a base cost of $200. Very disappointing indeed

That's Right. The 4 burner has a SS grate/flavorizor bar upgrade for $50 like the previous EP model. It's only available for the 4 burner and at "official" dealers.

I have owned the SE-410 since last week. ACE Hardware is one of the places where you'll be able to pick up the SE series, which includes stainless steel internals (flavorizer bars, rod grate, etc).

I've grilled on it, it's solid, and cooking is very even, unlike my older Genesis Gold C. It's a solid grill - I'm a fan and will definitely be getting use out of it.

Last edited:
Pretty sad IMO. Blatantly "made in China" (of course the older ones were only really "packaged here" since they had to be assembled also. This means some Chinese work "slaves" that are made to live in dormitories, work 16 hour days and paid $.50 an hour are "building?" these new products. Very sad state of affairs and think of the profit margin since the prices have gone through the roof. Now they're selling a product for say $1500 that maybe has a base cost of $200. Very disappointing indeed

That's the reality we live in right now. I'm a little surprised since Weber is still a private company but recently found out it's no longer fully family owned.

I'd hardly call China's population slaves. I do believe their poverty rate is lower than us in the all mighty powerful USA.

No more politics I promise! Do we have a place on this board to have the "made in china" discussion?

My friend is a service engineer for a company based in Europe. He travels to China regularly (an to be even more exact to the Weber factory) to maintain the machines they buy from his company. Yeah, they get 3 hots and cot (literally) because they have to work so many hours a day they have to sleep in company provided dormitories. They eat their meals in cafeteria and basically spend 14 to 16 hours on the assembly line for VERY little wages. Apart from the "human rights" (which I don't care to plunder into) Weber's labor costs alone are most likely 1/10th the cost now, there is no need to provide "benefits" since in their society they are provided (so to speak). So, in the end who is getting shafted here on their product(s)? They raised to price to astronomical levels, put American workers out of jobs and have the nerve to boost the price of the product by 30% or more. I fail to see the value here. (though I must admit when I put my brother in law's Genesis together IIRC about 75% of the pieces I assembled were stamped "made in China". Basicall all they did was throw imported parts in a box here in the US. Now they're not even doing that!
At least with other brands they don't pretend to be what they're not. Also at least the brands from Onward are made for the most part in Indiana or Canada.
I truly love the Weber products I have (all were truly "made in the USA"). All have lasted (well except for the disappointment in the Summit with the fire box) exceptionally well and I have been proud to have bought and owned them. They perform second to none and have stood the test of time very well.
But as I have said before (especially true now) they will be the last "new" product(s) I ever buy from Weber again and that truly makes me sad.
Hopefully one day soon the tariffs and taxes on this type of thing will force companies to keep their jobs and labor base here.

To me "made in china" doesn't necessarily mean bad quality. Weber personnel in the USA decide on design and what materials and manufacturing methods to use. I'm sure china given the same design and materials requirements could make an equivalent to a "made in the usa" product.

Pricing is determined by the market. So if you owned a company and priced at $$ and found out you could increase to $$$ and still not lose out on sales or profit you would do it. The market may not always purchase based on dollar for dollar best value, instead maybe on perceived value. Weber may not be able to ride-out on it's reputation and name brand very long and end up loosing sales.

If you think Weber prices are high, ask our European members here how much Webers cost in their countries. Can you imagine how much Weber US pricing would be if it was fully sourced and built in the US (assuming same material and design of course)?

Thanks for the write up. I think the 4 burner grill you saw is actually an SE-410. I found it on Ace's website. It looks like a stainless alternate to the open cabinet models without the full enclosure.

http://m.acehardware.com/product/in..._clickid=31e99b3a-9c3b-8889-42a6-00000e4d44b7

We're the grills available for purchase? Or just on display?
You're correct, it was an SE-410 in Crimson.

I assume the grills were available for purchase, they were on the sidewalk in front of the Ace Hardware on Lincoln Avenue in San Jose.

Some of the things about the new ones look good- the new burners, the fold down warming rack, a few other things. Disappointed manufacture is no longer in the US, especially at those prices. Also a little disappointed they didn't go ahead and put GBS grates on the things- at that price, you'd think they'd go ahead and do it (it would even drive some adoption of the system).

Looks nice, but I am not sorry I bought my EP-310 this year. I don't feel a burning desire to trade up.

very nice maiden cook! Wonder how different my Steel Grey is vs the Smoke color.

I remember mine as it was late at night in the dark as I couldn't wait. Cooked a kinder ball tip roast. Remember how nice and clean it looks. It will NEVER be that way again.

Did you do a high temp burn off first? It made for some cool pics I snapped.

s0zs6XEpEBGv05kvwVZTRL0zEvQPW0f35BEvWjy60a671eHkeyFFriep-CLWRqXsOBEdDgHzPUSwfUmtpwpkuZHxSnvP7QXXP6BzIwxuauRhGvaS5ZmHSMZeEdICzoUPoNGN1jx3q2taWBZ6BEriXGM31Tpo7y2xfCMuqqVocIRS4oDPlC1cWE0D_DtwgNR8GoB0CJryptMtyq9bNi9-Sw9Ab-HL1ef7UMsMkEMuRdJ8vrPfCLPLjHrZdm3jdldys1Y9oVCU4X8ze6xMj7m7qP7SSZYBVVQQ6I8pE8ReWMFWBqTPmd55mkU1iltCnS_xdgCr8j5W-ZS1c2DdkGeNZVCJSNc5ZsZeUGLNDIi3kbpMdyfpHPZDPBDnvKq-a_LgFDLDthQc2714GGAkAJwRT_l8Busj4o5uBmGj5ywjCc-8YklL-IPCbjQdmVfY7j_CzZcUE2tuY-eBY7TS1ZfCUMDdlHT0qh9wQS9kDKqv3E0muLsNB-OTLLkoWAN0AwyICgkTJ12dH-hZnfEanVX_lmU2QsLsL4AjIP8WPFtvUD5-YsGIsJVk2qd43OXakC_ZEBKgDUSKp7g4oIO_rCD9xKSNZ0FLydoUse8YqcjfEMBb1GHL-A=w971-h728-no

Kk75Pb1LHGva141ZIW0rk627ZhO6ZMexUtKu-D6oaEwtU7cDD6Yx_LjF5K0Hb89BaPfFb0HS9FFjRzOHH5yPGm211EObH14hio94PvovVvxjrDtqfCq5r4Q9_0o6EreeuWaaqqiPGrCQoAE2k5lHMI2rIb5QL5_cn55Ghy4TbC9q8EKLdf3_7_rvruXVuLLIU5Q6LMPjHEot5tpfpwKT5rT7tjqaJ6AyI2ZL2itk2DkXfbBk_FusRYhRFhjg8GZNg5am_f7tLotEgG0j51TIZQofmkZQ4ePUswtTWA29b6Iqfu_etOTAzzIxIdjUQGRhimikUNZ2VZDS4OumHD9Uss1GzARtmOFVHBINvUS2NNDo5PzoCcDht_GavVbv2NF0KXuM9JtF4SEgzwkdDD0aY_XJknpUGduHIFq8FEMpX8WRJxV4ux_7EYwWpQg7_Wo1AUc1MadSAacxTeamFw4e3SDhwlF9J32c6KIafW_TOv8f2VXx-FBcC_bvycRffOJeDyYjJxu5GmunsLgnTXGtYjK1MljYy5yqlFhgvn9103E3mmjnWpdCmK8-zIihFEAfxPrd20NnhT_wDLSbWKzSvVwKWl319VhtFGIIJqOSxETW9F_b4A=w971-h728-no

Last edited:
My 3-burner Spirit has served me well, but I've toyed with upgrading to a Genesis for a few years. Was about to do it a few years ago because the Spirit's lid/shroud had rusted through, but when researching the Genesis I saw the long warranty on the shroud. Called up Weber, and a new shroud was sent right away, no problem.

That took away my excuse to upgrade then. I finally decided to just do it anyway, with the thought that I would also get a rotisserie and could use the sear feature for sous vide projects. So I go online today and find this thread.

Weber chose to lower the lid (which causes me to wonder about space for rotisserie), I don't see the sear station mentioned, they shortened that great warranty, and I have to spend another $400 or so to get a model with a side burner. My Spirit side burner set me back just an extra $50, and I use it to boil shrimp and for other smelly/smoky projects.

I guess I'll go back to cooking on the Spirit and waiting a few more years.

As new buyers try theirs out, please post about your experiences. I'll probably break down and get one eventually, so I may as well learn what I can.

Look into other brands. Weber is not the pacesetter it had been in the past. There are as good or better out there for lower $$ and made in North America not China as the new Genesis is. The Weber name used to mean something but IMO not any more. In the $600 range right now for instance one can buy a made in America unit from Onward Mfg. with 4 burners, side burner and rotisserie burner along with rotisserie kit. Comparable now from Weber you have to go into the Summit line and spend about $1500!

Back