New for 2017: Weber Genesis II Gas Grills

So did Weber drop the Spirit line? It's previous Chinese product. It appears the Genesis II line is nearly identical to the LX line. Can't imagine trying to ship production of such a similar product is worthwhile. Or it could be the LX is in fact (like the current stuff) produced primarily in China and simply "packed" in the US. Perhaps with the pallet shipment meaning someone here in the US is simply doing "assembly" and the consumer paying more for that assembly.

I don't think they're going to drop it, Spirit is going to get people into the Genesis eventually and atleast away from the $199 grills that rust in 1 year. And this way they have products every couple hundred dollars apart.

BTW my 2016 got delivered today on a pallet. Very happy buying from a small online retailer in Chicagoland so far, happy to help a small business too at same time.

As I posted above, I'd been thinking of upgrading from Spirit to Genesis when I saw the news about the revision of the Genesis line for 2017.

I decided to shop for the "old" models of Genesis because a new model with the features I want will cost a fortune.

Home Depot had a simple LP model (no side-burner) that had started at $699 and been marked down to $450. Tempting, but I like the side-burner and prefer the convenience of natural gas.

Hit Lowes today and saw an E-330 copper LP marked $799.

Then I spotted an E-330 NG in Espresso color with side-burner. No price tag. I asked about it, and the Lowes fellow said it was $719. I mentioned that the Genesis line is about to be replaced with a redesign. He said it was the first he'd heard of it, but he offered to knock off 20%. I bit. Then we got to the register, and a box popped up saying there was $100 off on Webers. I got the benefit of both discounts and walked out with a new Genesis E-330 NG for $473.30 plus tax. Not sure how he did the math, but that's what the receipt says.

Merry Christmas to me.

I plan to use the savings to shop for a rotisserie and maybe a cover. Also need to explore the pros and cons of the cast iron grates that it came with and the stainless steel that some folks seem to prefer. Will post inquiry on those in another thread.

Just keep the cast iron until enamel flakes off. That may take a decade though. Good buy! Home depot today in my area didn't have a single Genesis to be seen. They must of sold em all on clearance in anticipation of new IIs

As I posted above, I'd been thinking of upgrading from Spirit to Genesis when I saw the news about the revision of the Genesis line for 2017.

I decided to shop for the "old" models of Genesis because a new model with the features I want will cost a fortune.

Home Depot had a simple LP model (no side-burner) that had started at $699 and been marked down to $450. Tempting, but I like the side-burner and prefer the convenience of natural gas.

Then I spotted an E-330 NG in Espresso color with side-burner. No price tag. I asked about it, and the Lowes fellow said it was $719. I mentioned that the Genesis line is about to be replaced with a redesign. He said it was the first he'd heard of it, but he offered to knock off 20%. I bit. Then we got to the register, and a box popped up saying there was $100 off on Webers. I got the benefit of both discounts and walked out with a new Genesis E-330 NG for $473.30 plus tax. Not sure how he did the math, but that's what the receipt says.

Merry Christmas to me.

I plan to use the savings to shop for a rotisserie and maybe a cover. Also need to explore the pros and cons of the cast iron grates that it came with and the stainless steel that some folks seem to prefer. Will post inquiry on those in another thread.

Merry Christmas to me.

That is a steal!

Merry Christmas to me.
Did you plan to buy NG, or willing to convert it to Propane(if that's even possible?) Really Merry Christmas to you, i Paid $660 for mine, ordering a nice cover now from Costco.

Not certain how to check for date, but the front of the packet/envelope that holds the manual and paperwork for mine has a model number of sorts followed by "08/15" which I guess may be when it was manufactured.

I did want natural gas. I have a line on my patio, which makes it convenient. But I was willing to take a good deal on a LP model, since I keep a couple tanks around to run my crawfish boiling rig.

Last edited:
How to check?

Find the serial number. It's on a sticker on the front of the Owner's Manual and on a sticker applied to the grill, usually inside the storage cabinet under the grill.

IMG_7758_zpsnvv6v4ew.jpg

For example, AA0839041 is a Genesis S-310 floor model that I photographed at Orchard Supply Hardware in San Jose in November 2016. The two characters "AA" are the model year. Go to this page to decode the characters: http://virtualweberbullet.com/how-to-determine-the-age-of-weber-smokers.html#codevalues

In this example, AA = 2011 model year, so it's safe to assume this grill was "born" somewhere between Oct 2010 and Sept 2011. Hard to believe a grill would sit that long as a floor model in a hardware store, but on the other hand, I guess there's no reason to change it out as long as the underlying model stays the same and the floor model is in good physical condition.

Thanks, that's very helpful. Mine says AR, so 2016 yay! Not sure if i can recommend the place i bought it from here, but mod can edit if against rule. Buying experience has been great so far from ABT.com in IL

Last edited:
Just registered here due to this thread - and hope someone can help me: Where to still buy a leftover E-330 NG in the Seattle area?

I like the old design and natural gas :)

Just registered here due to this thread - and hope someone can help me: Where to still buy a leftover E-330 NG in the Seattle area?

You could try hitting a couple Lowe's for a display model. HD has removed it from floor ( maybe not entirely but in my area for sure). Otherwise just order online for 869+tax

Lowe's and HD both have some left in Stainless steel . http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Ge...as-Grill-in-Stainless-Steel-6670001/202843404

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Gene...TU-Natural-Gas-Grill-with-Side-Burner/3316742

Last edited:

McLendons has all the 2016 Genesis at $200 off. Not many options left with natural gas but you have the S-330 for $769.

I was able to score a floor model EP-330 for 50% off but there's no more of those... :cool:

Local ACE has Genesis II side-by-side with existing Spirit line. Did a careful examination of materials, metal thickness etc. Came to the conclusion they were about the same. Bought a Spirit SP-310. Why spend the extra money on features (GS4?) I'm not sure I need.

Saw interesting merchandising and use for the flip-up warming rack last night at my local ACE. Basically, it shows the rack being used like the Weber Elevations system, but the products used in the display are standard Weber accessories. Could be a nice way to add some indirect heat/cooking.

20170111_180426_zpsmg3gkfg4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Got mine!

So my LX S-440 was delivered just a few days after Christmas. It arrived on a crate, nearly completely assembled. I only had to attached the side tables, knobs and a few other things.

Q4nuu3c.jpg

OXbhDRc.jpg

Now that it is assembled I am pretty impressed with the quality. I really like the exterior tank location as the cabinet below becomes so much more usable.

9gVMkWW.jpg

Plus, she sure is purdy

I really like the exterior tank location as the cabinet below becomes so much more usable.
Back to the future...I suspect the only reason they moved the tank inside the cabinet was for a "cleaner look", but I like it being on the outside on older grills, it's just more accessible that way.

Glad you're liking your new grill, Bill. Let us know how it cooks.

Back