New BBQ day in the UK - a charcoal Go Anywhere - any tips?

Dave Stevens

TVWBB Member
Hello,

I've been wanting one of these for ages but they stopped selling them in the Uk. I bought a Jumbo Joe but it was 'decreed' that it was too big to pack in our camper van :roll eyes:

I would have gone for the Smokey Joe Silver, not the Gold, but it looked a bit awkward to transport. But when I saw that the charcoal Go Anywhere is back on sale I just had to have one. Not cheap, but we go camping so much that it's worth it.

The only thing that I'm nervous about is how close the bars are to the bottom and the coals, i.e., the cooking height, but I guess most of you guys put the coals on one side and cook indirect?

At home I use a 57cm kettle so i'm ok with indirect cooking but was wondering if there are any useful tips or guides for using this little grill?

Can't wait to fire it up!

Cheers

Dave

amazingly its not a bad thing to have the cooking grate close to the coals. meat does not burn like you would think. plus the first thing you should do is cut a piece of expanded metal to fit over the coal grate so you can use lump charcoal. and then practice !

Dave, if you keep your charcoal level to 1 layer you shouldn't have any heat issues with direct grilling.

Thanks guys.

I had a nice weekend on the coast with the family but was pretty much just excited to try out the Go Anywhere. One great thing I realised is that because of the shape of it, you can pack all the utensils, roll of tinfoil etc. inside it. Had a couple of beautiful night camping down in Devon.

I took it pretty easy, and just cooked some chicken drumsticks, salmon, a few sausages and some veggie burgers for my wife :roll:

I used some restaurant grade lump wood charcoal with a small piece of plum wood on about 1/3 of the grate and placed a tray above it with some sliced potatoes, onions, garlic, wine and stock. I put some bbq sauce marinated chicken and some with just olive oil and Herb de Provence on the other side and left them until nearly cooked.

Then finished them over the coals.

I'd also cooked a salmon fillet.

I didn't get any plated up photos as it was devoured too quickly but I'm pretty pleased with the Go Anywhere.

Cheers

Dave

WGA is a good portable grill, only thing i dont like is the bottom vents. I ended up scratching the enamel finish when i adjusted the intakes and it will make the grill rust if not taken good care.

Great looking spot and great cook. I grew up in Dorset and it makes me reminisce!
I love my CGA(s) but you are right - have to careful because the grate to charcoal clearance is very low. The design is brilliant so you can snuff the hot coals and pack it up with the legs holding the vents shut, not that I've had the nerve.
I keep meaning to try and modify a chimney to fit inside but I doubt it will ever happen
There's a guy in NL doing amazing stuff on CGAs - http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?42926-check-out-the-ga-s-in-use

Back