Netflix Series

How slow are you on this stuff?

So slow that Breaking Bad, House of Cards and Mad Men would be new to you?

Or slow meaning you haven't gotten to Squid Game yet?

And are you just limited to Netflix? So no Apple TV, Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO, etc.?
I haveb't seen any of them but I'm always reluctant to start watching a show that has already ended, kind of wonder what's the point. What's more infuriating though is when then cancel a show or rush the ending to finish it. Shows like GoT, Person of Interest, Flash Forward to name a few.

Shows I recommend; Ozark, Peaky Blinders, Breaking Bad, Justified, Sons of Anarchy
I'm watching Breaking Bad right now and really digging it. (i'm about 1/2 thru season 2)

If you like gangster movies, you need to watch "The Irishman"

For something a bit lighter, if you like cars and british humor/accents, you can try watching "The Grand Tour" on Prime, for me it was laugh out loud funny most of the time,

I haveb't seen any of them but I'm always reluctant to start watching a show that has already ended, kind of wonder what's the point.
I'm exactly the opposite. If a show has ended then I know exactly what I'm getting myself into. I know exactly how many episodes there are and how many hours of viewing I'm committing to if I stick with it to the end. And if I decide to give up on it I know exactly how much viewing I'm abandoning.

To question the point of watching an already ended series is a bit like wondering why you should watch a movie. Unless you're expecting sequels, the story has ended long before you even heard of the movie.

I do get that there's a big difference between watching something during the initial showing and watching it later on at your leisure. In the old days you either watched it during the original broadcast or you missed it. Things on tape or streaming there's no urgency to the viewing. It takes something away from the experience. But those are the times we live in. I haven't watched anything but sports at the original broadcast time in a decade or more.

I'm exactly the opposite. If a show has ended then I know exactly what I'm getting myself into. I know exactly how many episodes there are and how many hours of viewing I'm committing to if I stick with it to the end. And if I decide to give up on it I know exactly how much viewing I'm abandoning.

To question the point of watching an already ended series is a bit like wondering why you should watch a movie. Unless you're expecting sequels, the story has ended long before you even heard of the movie.

I do get that there's a big difference between watching something during the initial showing and watching it later on at your leisure. In the old days you either watched it during the original broadcast or you missed it. Things on tape or streaming there's no urgency to the viewing. It takes something away from the experience. But those are the I agree to a point times we live in. I haven't watched anything but sports at the original broadcast time in a decade or more.
I agree to a point JayHely. I too do not watch most programmes apart from sport 'live'. Our national broadcaster, the BBC, transmits without commercials so that maybe the only exception. Out satellite service Sky has the record feature so at least we can whizz through those pesky ads. I have visted the US a few times and seem to remember that the commercials are every 10 minutes or so? Here on terrestrial broadcast they are about every 15-20.

Commercials are certainly one of the reasons I avoid live broadcasts. I actually should have included news programs among ones viewed live. I do watch a few of those. Baseball has gotten to where you're exposed to advertising the entire time you're watching. If it's not a full-screen commercial, it's an inset commercial between pitches or an animated blurb by the score box or a static ad painted somewhere in the stadium.

Most broadcast shows have commercial breaks about every ten minutes, often with the commercials getting longer and the program segments getting shorter closer to the end.

This is why I've long been using alternate sources for most of my viewing material. Often the quality of the media is better too.

I'm exactly the opposite. If a show has ended then I know exactly what I'm getting myself into. I know exactly how many episodes there are and how many hours of viewing I'm committing to if I stick with it to the end.
Me too. I always read reviews first and make sure there is a conclusion to the series. Nothing worst than getting invested in a series and having it cancelled mid-story with no conclusion. "Jerico" comes to mind, but I love the way fans responded by sending tons of nuts to CBS. Should happen to all premature cancellations. How hard is it to produce 1-2 more episodes to end it properly.

I didn't think I would like Arrested Development, but I really do. Takes a certain sense of humor I think.
Waiting for 4th and final season of Ozark in early 2022. Coincidentally they both star Jason Bateman.
AD gets better every time you watch it. It's almost impossible to catch all of the joke threads that they wove through the first 3 seasons on a one-time watch; I've watched it at least 4 times and I find something new every time!

Me too. I always read reviews first and make sure there is a conclusion to the series. Nothing worst than getting invested in a series and having it cancelled mid-story with no conclusion. "Jerico" comes to mind, but I love the way fans responded by sending tons of nuts to CBS. Should happen to all premature cancellations. How hard is it to produce 1-2 more episodes to end it properly.
Hated they did that to Deadwood on HBO. At least they made a move to close it out.

Netflix problem, when we try to watch something, the picture/sound "skips" (sorry, don't know what to call it. Looks like the voice is not in sync with the picture) Is it Netflix or my computer?

Netflix - Have to agree 100% on Peaky Blinders and Ozark, fantastic shows. Also a big fan of Strangers Things and Better Call Saul. Last Kingdom is pretty good if you like medieval warriors/vikings type shows. We also like all of the Narcos, and are currently really liking Startup. For cooking, the first few seasons of Chef’s Table are great, but thought American Barbecue Showdown was awful, although one competitor, Rasheed Phillips has a good bbq YouTube channel.

Tin star was excellent!
Longmire, I think was brought up too. I’m about ready to re watch that!
Bosch has been mentioned, excellent we well.
I think there is plenty to occupy your time for a while out there.

For the Breaking Bad fans, check out Better Call Saul.
I'm watching breaking bad now - It's really tough to watch sometimes when Walter Sr. really loses it around his family (i had to turn off tequila shot scene at the remission party). The Saul Goodman character did make me laugh out loud a few times during his first appearance so I'm definitely going to check out the BCS series when (if) I finish Breaking Bad

I'm watching breaking bad now - It's really tough to watch sometimes when Walter Sr. really loses it around his family (i had to turn off tequila shot scene at the remission party). The Saul Goodman character did make me laugh out loud a few times during his first appearance so I'm definitely going to check out the BCS series when (if) I finish Breaking Bad
I'm envious that you're getting to see it for the first time, I've watched the series at least 3 times, maybe 4.
Currently enjoying Lilyhammer thanks to this thread. BTW, it's not all in sub-titles, thankfully.

Likely a bad internet connection. we get perfect quality. But we don't use a puter. We use either Roku or our Samsung Smart TV
<scratches head> Maybe......but I sort of doubt it. IIRC, Netflix streams over TCP (lossless,) not UDP (transmission not guaranteed.) Among other things, retransmits are requested, and packets get reordered into the proper sequence before being presented to the upper application layer. We've gotten out of sync condition this occasionally on our Roku Ultra with my Plex Media Server when rewinding and fast forwarding, and that's all on a single LAN (no gateways, and no demonstrable packet loss.) If a low speed network connection caused enough of a problem, Netflix is supposed to automatically switch down to a lower resolution to continue to play.

I'd be looking at making sure firmware is updated on a streaming device, or software & load on a PC first.

Now.... having said all that..... we went to see Jeff Foxworthy last weekend, both shows were filmed to be available on Netflix sometime down the road ("The Good Old Days Tour.") I'll be watching it again. :)

I remembered another series I enjoyed on Netflix, Absentia, if it's still available.
Lots of dark or dimly lit scenes, as I recall, but intriguing enough to keep you wanting to see what happens next.
Stana Katic is pretty easy on the eyes too.

Back