Need help!! Meat thermometer got the lines of death!!

Seth Boardman

TVWBB Fan
So i got the ThermoPro TP19H and just like the reviews said it got the lines of death as they are called. It worked well for about a year and a half or so and I absolutely loved it! However now it is no longer able to be used and I just bought my father in law one for christmas because I know he would like it. However, I am thinking that I will take the one I got him and get him a different one. What ones do you guys have and how long have you had them? This is the one I have so I'm looking for one that has all the same features.

I think the biggest thing I like about it is the screen flips so it doesn't matter which way you hold it.

I use the ThermoWorks MK4 pen. It‘s been awesome. What about the ThermoPro TP19 (no “H“ in the model.) It seems to have a few upgraded features than the one you‘re using.

I honestly could use a few top line waterproof thermapens, and several spare thermopops more than a brand new Weber...
I should just have a standing order into thermapen.

I have a MK4 love it but at this price I would buy the One.

How much do you love your father in law get the one for yourself and give him the other one. Please kidding do what you got to do. :)

Or return it if you can and buy 2 of the Ones you both will be happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upgraded to a thermapen one, I’m giving one as a gift to is year too my brother. Every thanksgiving I’m amazed at the old dial thermometer with a 1/2” dial he pulse out. Decided to grab him ONE on sale.
Love my MK4 as well but the one is a nice upgrade, I just have to remember to stop paying full price like I did for mine.

I've got a Mark 4 and a thermal pop.
Both seem to be excellent quality.

The cheap ones you buy at walmart etc aren't even suitable for boiling water. All you do is keep replacing them and keep replacing them. Pure junk like 99% of everything else Chinese.

While the Thermapens are all excellent, they're also rather expensive. Thermoworks has a number of much cheaper models that have virtually the same accuracy and respond just slightly slower than the Thermapen. If you're interested in one, go direct to the manufacturer's web site. Do not buy from a third party. Thermoworks sells direct and you're likely to pay more if you buy anywhere else. They also sometimes have some "open box" units they sell at a discount. I've purchased a couple of these and have never had any trouble with them.

Thermoworks Mk4 or ONE. But not cheap!

To stick closer to your original budget, the Thermoworks ThermoPop is also a quality instrument that has a rotating light-up display.

if you do get any Thermoworks stuff, just be sure to buy direct, or specifically not from Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've also bought a couple of cheap ones in the past. Still have one, and it still works most of the time.
I meant cheaper models from the same company that makes the Thermapen. For most home cooks the accuracy of any of their models is fine. The only functional difference is the display and the response time, the latter of which is only a second or so faster in the most expensive models. It usually takes me longer to position the probe than it does for the temperature readout to stabilize.

Like @Doug Selman, I have one of the Super-Fast Pocket models and it works fine at a fraction of the cost of the Thermapen. Nothing against the Thermapen. If it's in your budget, go for it. I'd love to have one but just can't justify it.

Being cheap, I bought one of these a while back and am totally satisfied. Meat comes out just as temp indicates. Just ordered another today as a back up since they had a 50% off coupon. At that price, I can afford to replace it.

One will find uses, other than just BBQ, for whatever ThermoWorks product you decide on.
Absolutely. I use my Thermoworks pocket model all the time in the kitchen, sometimes just to check the temp on reheated leftovers coming out of the microwave. So many times the bowl is rocket hot and the contents are still not even lukewarm. The thermometer keeps my fingers out of the food testing if it's warm enough.

The cheap ones all seem to be made of brittle plastic that breaks eventually...... Once you've bought three $10 ones what are you really saving versus a good one?

Back