Need a good Knife

Knives are a pretty subjective choice. Personally I prefer a short slicing or boning knife for trimming most cuts. Whatever you pick, it should be sharp, and fit your hand well. You can spend a small fortune on a knife if you want, but many people use the Victorinox Fibrox handle knives and are very satisfied with them.

Any of these yellow-handled knives are excellent. Choose your size.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005JHI9FC/?tag=TVWB-20
31sSF2xU4IL._SY300_.jpg

I'm one of the guys who spends a fair amount on knives - and really enjoy my Shun Classic kitchen knives. Incredibly sharp out of the box.

America's Test Kitchen has this as their top rated Chefs knife and I've been using it for several years. Great knife at a low price; holds an edge well and resharpens nicely. I also have lots of other knives that are very expensive, but reach for this one more so than any of my other chefs knives. Really a good knife and only $30.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0061SWV8Y/?tag=TVWB-20

61An9angPHL._SL1500_.jpg

I used to use a chef's knife to trim, but I recently picked up a curved thin blade boning knife that was awesome for trimming up the first full packer brisket I tried over the weekend. smaller/narrower blade was a lot easier to manage.

Kind of a knife junkie. I have a 12" slightly curved scimitar, curved boning knives, chef's knife, fillet knife, and a 14" brisket knife(on the way), among several others. All do a good job. Just depends on what you want to spend. I use the scimitar to trim briskets, boning knife to trim everything else, except chicken, and use a fillet knife for that. Sharp is the key. I keep mine so sharp, just a touch on a bare finger is a cut.

To start, go with the curved Victornox boning knife and add from there. Not expensive at all. Click the Amazon link above and you can be in business in no time.

I'm one of the guys who spends a fair amount on knives - and really enjoy my Shun Classic kitchen knives. Incredibly sharp out of the box.
\

I have a 7" Shun classic santoku knife and it is my favorite knife in my house. If I ever buy more knifes they will be Shun. They are the sharpest and best quality knives that I've ever used.

I used to work in the food industry and still have a roll full of various knives... the choice is very subjective but there are some knive styles that are less/more desirable to use.

A Chef's knife as pictured above is a general purpose knife and can do the job but is more suited for board work like rock chopping.

A Santoku would be one my my last choices (too small) and again more of a veggie/board knife.

The Scimeter is a thick strong meat cutter's knife and can do the job but more suitable for big jobs like separating larger cuts.

A Boning knife works but is more suitable to separate meat from bone like deboning a chicken breast.

Another option is a Breaking Knife, these are also meat cutter's knives but more nimble than a Scimeter but also a thick strong knife. No problem steaking a salmon or cutting through rib cartlidge with either a Scimeter or Breaking knife.. I would not attempt that with my Chef's or Santoku knife as I like to reserve them for board work as opposed to working around bones which will dull or chip them fast.

After a knife style, you will need to decide on a manufacturer.. there are many to choose from and many are over priced, but here is where you will get many opinions. Forschner/Victorinox are popular but not the only ones in their class. Dexter Russell also makes some quality knives.

All knives dull over time and useage, it's more important to have a suitable sharpening system than invest in a expensive knife.

Last edited:
AMYoung

Either go to a high quality kitchen store or a knife store explain what you require and feel the knife in your hand for weight and balance.

I prefer a high quality slightly heavy knife where many prefer the light weight knives.

Cost well that is a very personal matter all my knives are over AU $100s.

I recently head a Chef say he ordered a knife from Japan and went there to pick it up the knife alone was AU$6000.

If you want quality be prepared to pay for it.

Keith

John offered some great advise. Most individuals are not aware of the breaking knife unless they're in the food industry. An excellent tool for both breaking down large cuts of meat as well as doing fine trimming. Just be careful and don't buy one with a sharp pointed end... oh, never mind. They all come with Very Sharp Pointed Ends... does a great job on intended cuts as well as unintentional cuts... :rolleyes:

Just in case (hopefully you will not need it)... Length of unintentional cut X 1.5 = Depth of unintentional cut They didn't have to tell me twice as I got the point first time... ;)

Bob

Last edited:

Back