Napoleon Prestige VS New Weber Genesis

I went out and checked out my rotisserie burner on the Napoleon and it definitely has more flames on the left side, especially on high. The lower the gas the more even the flame. Next time I tare it down I will have to check out the burner.

Roti burner.jpg

As for thinking it's funny he weighed the burners? Actually it's not. Signifies more metal in them = less likely to burn through.
Actually it doesn’t. Material is the only factor in determining how long something will last. Titanium is lighter than steel....

Since we don’t know the precise alloy of either (at least I don’t off hand), it’s largely irrelevant. Weighing burners is comical at best.

The infrared burners are a nice feature. It's the only one that makes me a bit envious. But I can't imagine it's necessary. If you can't adequately sear at 650 degrees, something's wrong. In any event, these are first world issues.

This one looks even...

View attachment 45571
Thing is when he lit that rear burner it was definitely NOT an IR burner. You could see the tube light up behind the shield. Re the comment about how funny to weigh the burners? Well we DO know the burners (at least the Nap burners) are 304SS so it DEFINITELY is not a joke. More (quality) material means better/longer lasting IMO and experience

OK, I will weigh in on the burners. First of all, they are for two different grills. One set may simply be a little longer than the other. Also, they are different in shape and therefore on may simply use less material by design.
If the guy really wanted to review the burners, he should have found out what material each were made of. Then, he should have commented on their shape and design and then maybe compared the flame level of each. I think that would give people a better understanding of them rather than one weighs a few ounces more than another.

I agree with Larry on the roto burner. While i don't know much about IR burners, I think the one on the Napoleon is a regular burner. It seemed clearly different than the one on the Napoleon's side burner which was an IR burner. The fact that the reviewer didn't mention the uneven heating on the roto burner along with the trouble he had lighting the burners on the Napoleon and glossing over it leads me to believe that his self admitted bias was poking through on this review.

Without personally ever seeing either grill in person, I would have to agree that the Napoleon offers a bit more. But, i wouldn't make my choice based on that video review.

Bruce he did indicate the Naps burners are 304SS. IDK or recall what he said about the Weber burners but I don't think they're 304 but likely 430. All things being equal I think it was a valid comparison. If there is more/thicker and better quality material then they will last longer as well.

I can vouch for the jet fire igniters working great. It is very nice to be able to light the grill one handed. The burner tubes are heavy 304 and the cross over "tubes" are the same heavy SS. They are 2 triangle pieces clamshelded together. Very nice. The Weber's do not have crossovers any more, so you have to light each tube individually, and no protection from flameouts.

I think eliminating the crossover was a mistake even in light of the new ignition. It likely only saved them a few dollars per grill. When I got my new E-330, I noticed the crossover did not work as well (as quickly) as the Silver B, probably because it had to travel further. Still, being able to reignite in a blowout is important.

I went to BBQGUYS. The Napoleon 500 as equipped in the video is $200 more than the Genesis. I paid $999 for my SE-335. The Prestige the matches the Genesis’ price had no infrared burner or side burner. Not 100% convinced this was a comparison of price point grills.

Do like the Prestige thou. Very nice grill.

I would gladly pay the extra $200. The benefit and quality outweigh the $200 especially when taken over a 5 to 10 year period when you look at the added convenience and benefits of the extras

I agree with Bruce's comments regarding the limitations of the review. Clearly, the guy was not an engineer. He wasn't focused on these issues in the same way the men on this board do. He's a guy who owns a store and is used to dealing with consumers who want a quick overview of features. A salesman's perspective.

Anyone know if a jump to the Napoleon Prestige Pro gets you away from the stamped steel cabinet? As best I can tell, it gets you an ice bucket and a couple of other gizmos beyond the standard Prestige but they remain very quiet about the cabinet material. If it is stainless, I’d seriously consider one even at a $3200+/- price point.

I say that a lot as well. But, I keep reminding myself that there are a lot of people out there that can't even afford a new Spirit grill much less a $1000 Genesis. It is all relative. If you made $250K a year and had multi million dollar bank account, $3200 would be the budge for a grill for the cabin up north.

Guess I'm just old and old school. My 2006 E320 and my 1998 Gen 2000 are like an old pair of warm comfy slippers. I know their capabilities and their faults and I'm very comfortable cooking anything on them. If you're into gizmos and flash than the Nap is your boy. Me, they'll have to pry the tongs outa my cold dead fingers before I'd give up those two grills.
My idea of an addition is when it warms up and I can work in the garage again I'll be restoring my 1985 grandpa gen 2 and add that to the fleet long before I'd buy any new grill.

I say that a lot as well. But, I keep reminding myself that there are a lot of people out there that can't even afford a new Spirit grill much less a $1000 Genesis. It is all relative. If you made $250K a year and had multi million dollar bank account, $3200 would be the budge for a grill for the cabin up north.
You are absolutely right. Since I am retired, the budget is a bit tighter but I always had trouble justifying some purchases.

Anyone know if a jump to the Napoleon Prestige Pro gets you away from the stamped steel cabinet? As best I can tell, it gets you an ice bucket and a couple of other gizmos beyond the standard Prestige but they remain very quiet about the cabinet material. If it is stainless, I’d seriously consider one even at a $3200+/- price point.
The pro does not have a better cabinet as far as I know.

Back