Naked Jerk Chicken on the 14.5" WSM

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
My wife, Marilyn, had picked up some chicken legs on special. Recently, Cooks Country had run a TV segment on grilling chicken after removing the skin. They removed the back bone on whole chickens and ended up with Half Chickens. After removing the skin, they grilled the chicken. I was most interested in this method of dealing with "skin problems" on the grill, etc..

I decided we would remove the skin on the legs (Marilyn did the work) and make a slurry of Walkerswood Mild Jerk Seasoning and an equal amount of Extra Virgin Olive Oil. We marinated the chicken for a couple of hours in this slurry.

I set the 14.5" WSM up as directed in Chris' "Hot and Fast Chicken". No water pan, and one chimney of lit Kingsford Original Briquettes. As might be expected with all vents wide open, the temerature jumped up fast. I removed the chicken from the plastic bag and kept as much of the slurry on the chicken as possible (Marilyn also "jooked" the chicken with a sharp paring knife (made a number of "Jabs" into the meat so that the seasoning enters the meat). This is an advantage of removing the skin - the seasoning marinade actually enters the meat instead of just being on the top of the skin...

Here is the raw chicken just being introduced to the 14.5" WSM:

After thirty minutes of wide open heat (it pinned the lid thermometer quickly and stayed there) I flipped the legs and sauced them with Blues Hog. After five more minutes, I sauced them again and let them on for another five minutes - at any rate, a total of 45 minutes before I pulled them. Here's what they looked like just before "off loading";):

This may have been the best chicken I have ever done. It was truly a taste treat! You can also alter this method a bit with good results, I would think. Orange Marmalade Sriracha Sauce would be quite compatible with the Jerk Seasoning. The next time, I plan to mix an equal amount of the Original Walkerswood Seasoning with the mild version. That way anyone can balance the amount of heat that they prefer.

The key here, is to run the WSM wide open (as Chris' method calls for) for some of the best chicken you have ever eaten, especially coupled with Naked Chicken!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

SteveM;
I put one full chimney of lit, immediately assembled and put the chicken on when it hit 200 degrees (which happened quite quickly). After I pulled the chicken, I shut it down (closed all vents). Hardly any charcoal was consumed. I salvage my "used" charcoal and use it in the grill. In fact, come to think of it, other than a layer of new in the bottom of the chimney, all of the rest of THIS chimney full was used charcoal from previous cooks.

Dave:
I believe that you'll LOVE the combination of Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning and Blues Hog. I and my wife sure do!

Keep on smokin',

I like the idea of solving the rubber skin problem by just getting rid of the skin in the first place. Gets the spices where you want them, as well.

I like the idea of solving the rubber skin problem by just getting rid of the skin in the first place. Gets the spices where you want them, as well.

Right on both counts! I'll definitely be doing more chicken this way!

Keep on smokin',

Back