Mystery Part: Can you identify it?

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I have been working very hard (between tax returns) to make my grill shop a SHOP again instead of an overstuffed junk yard. Finding lots of interesting things (some I have long ago forgotten I had :unsure:), but this one has me stumped. I have three of them, so I am pretty confident they are Weber parts.

Anybody know what this is?

37DA9313-2BF7-416A-8F74-E793DCFD1D0E.jpeg

B8E95F39-F8C2-456D-BE4E-D45F779C83E1.jpeg

I've not seen that on any of my Genesis 2/3 1000/2000/3000 Silver Bs or Gold B so I think you can rule out that vintage of grill

Also not a part on the 2011 to 2016 Genesis 300 series.

maybe it is a dinglehopper

Last edited:
I think it goes with the side burner. I have one too, but I can't figure out how it attaches, so I think mine is just inside the side burner on my 3000. Somebody else will almost certainly know the answer to both questions, but I'm pretty sure it is used to attach the side burner to the frame on the old 3000s.

I think it goes with the side burner. I have one too, but I can't figure out how it attaches, so I think mine is just inside the side burner on my 3000. Somebody else will almost certainly know the answer to both questions, but I'm pretty sure it is used to attach the side burner to the frame on the old 3000s.
I believe you are right. It is item #37, Side Burner Lock, for a Genesis 3 side burner.

471001 Burner Clip.png

Nomenclature2.png

Last edited:
I believe you are right. It is item #37 shown below, for a Genesis 3 side burner.

View attachment 59921
Excellent work finding the schematic! Unfortunately, it's really unclear how it attaches from the diagram. In real life it's also unclear. I think there is a slot on the side burner housing that I tried to figure out how to put that in through, but I ended up just storing that part inside the burner housing. My side burner is held to the grill with good old gravity, just like the tables.

Excellent work finding the schematic! Unfortunately, it's really unclear how it attaches from the diagram. In real life it's also unclear. I think there is a slot on the side burner housing that I tried to figure out how to put that in through, but I ended up just storing that part inside the burner housing. My side burner is held to the grill with good old gravity, just like the tables.
If I remember correctly, there is a slot at the left rear corner of the burner pan that the short bend hooks into. The long bend hooks around the inside of the right rear frame leg and is secured on the inside of the leg with a screw and washer. The external burner "snaps" into place and releases if you flex the strip enough to disengage it from the slot. It locates the burner and keeps it from sliding around but isn't completely necessary. The external burners were also sold as an accessory so I'm sure there was an instruction sheet explaining how to mount the burner.

Last edited:
Sounds right to me. I was at the end of my patience when I was putting that burner back on, and since it's not loose or even likely to be moved around by strong winds I just left it in there by gravity. Maybe I'll attach it correctly one day!

Hmmm. My genesis 3 doesnt have that part.
Original owner couldn't figure it out either. I've seen a lot of pictures of old grills that the frames were put together backwards so anything goes. Another case of the owners manual being indispensable. Yes, you can download them now but I try to remember to ask the owner for it when I grab a grill.

Without that part, there is nothing to secure the burner besides gravity. It's hard to think of a scenario where the burner could become dislodged without it, but obviously that's why it's there.

It takes a fair amount of effort to remove the burner on my genesis 3. It's wedged in with more than gravity.

It takes a fair amount of effort to remove the burner on my genesis 3. It's wedged in with more than gravity.
Maybe it was a belt-and-suspenders approach by Weber to avoid or limit any sort of liability.

But did you really need it (the manual)? Could you have not spent several more hours trying to find a place for it on on the various grills in your garage? Could you have maybe posted the question to a dozen other help forums? There is always alternatives to going the route of the owners manual. ;)

Back