My WSM 22.5 temp gauge says 250 but my Maverick says 340 ??!!

Dang, that's a huge difference. Unless either therm is completely "OFF", the probe tip has gotta be measuring air coming up the outside edge of one of the grates, (thankfully, not where the meat is), and maybe even on a side over where a wood chunk caught fire before putting the lid back on?

first time using my maverick et 732 and it's giving me a reading of 340 and my wsm is steady at 250 ....:confused:

1. Test the Maverick , put the probe in boiling water and look for 212F.
2. If Maverick test ok then clip to probe where the WSM temp. probe is and compere the reading.............
Factory termometers can be way off sometimes. I replaced mine with River Country Termometer and its working super good +/- 1F.
Hope this helps. Peter

I agree with everyone here, check the Maverick they'll replace it if it's less than a year old if I'm not mistaken, that's one heck of a difference for not being over the edge of the grate.

Seems that the longer my cook is ... The closer the temps come to equalizing... At beginning of cook larger difference btwn the two and as the time passes by ... The two thermometers temps approximate each other...

I've had that happen a few times as well Kurt and as for hitting 340 degrees it is possible if your not using water, I've had mine up close to that before I shut the vents down a little.

Think I figured it out ....I used cold (somewhere on here someone told me otherwise!) water in my pan and place the probe in the middle of the grate between my ribs ...almost spot on temperature with the dome temp. I also had the bottom vents at about a 1/8" open.

My lid gauge, that I hoped to use, is just decoration. Having the probe above an empty water pan has been the greatest thing I've done to help my learning curve.

Going on my 4th season with my 22" WSM. First 2 years I used the Dome. 3rd season I used the Pitmaster IQ-110. You can drive yourself nuts trying to figure out grate temps vs Dome temps. Pick one and stick with that. On my Pitmaster IQ-110, I set it at 250 and pay no attention to the dome temp. I may even do a few cooks without the IQ. Obsessing over temps will do one thing for sure - rob you of the fun of cooking BBQ. Since joining this site (Thank You, Chris Allingham) I've read countless posts about temp variations. But not once has anyone said ' "I ruined my BBQ." Life's too short and BBQ is too much fun to drive myself crazy over dome temps and grate temps. I figure Weber knows what they're doing. They designed and built the thing, so I'm just gonna let the WSM do what the WSM does. And that's making great "Q".

Going on my 4th season with my 22" WSM. First 2 years I used the Dome. 3rd season I used the Pitmaster IQ-110. You can drive yourself nuts trying to figure out grate temps vs Dome temps. Pick one and stick with that. On my Pitmaster IQ-110, I set it at 250 and pay no attention to the dome temp. I may even do a few cooks without the IQ. Obsessing over temps will do one thing for sure - rob you of the fun of cooking BBQ. Since joining this site (Thank You, Chris Allingham) I've read countless posts about temp variations. But not once has anyone said ' "I ruined my BBQ." Life's too short and BBQ is too much fun to drive myself crazy over dome temps and grate temps. I figure Weber knows what they're doing. They designed and built the thing, so I'm just gonna let the WSM do what the WSM does. And that's making great "Q".

Best approach I think. They've been around this long for a reason. I went by the dome therm my last two cooks and they turned out pretty well.

Back