My son's first Weber- he'll never be the same

Jeff Holmes

TVWBB Super Fan
My 7 year old son has been laying claim to the SJ I bought for the min build. Tonight he cooked the main course for dinner. About the only thing I did was help him pour from a new bag of charcoal and empty the coals in to the SJ. He learned to sear the main course ;) and move them to indirect heat to finish them.

He had a blast and was so proud. We'll work him up the ladder from burgers to steaks. Man, can you imagine knowing by your teenage years what took us years of trial and error?

Indirect heat:

Wow, that's just awesome. My 7 year old is such a slacker. I need to get him moving. :p

Last edited:
He's been telling mom he wants one of those toy grills to grill with daddy. Shoot ! Just put him on the real deal. He fell in love when he saw them the first time at lowes. I pulled it off the shelf then decided to put it back (wasn't sure what I needed to build a mini at the time). When I put it back he asked, "Did you put it back because mommy would be upset?" Hahaha!

That is fantastic, Jeff!

My grandson is 6 and I sure hope he takes an interest in grilling in the near future. He can have my Smokey Joe silver to start and take over all the rest of my grills/smokers, whenever he wishes. :)

Last edited:
Nicely done! Before you know it you two will be fighting over who will be grilling dinner. Keep us posted.

Congrats! The problem about teaching you son's to BBQ is then you never get to anymore :)

That is a great start Jeff, & is about when my dad got me started with an original kettle. What a head start that was, real responsibility at 7 and it was great fun.
Now get him a special wood handle with his name on it for Christmas and he will cook for you forever. Turn it into a mini, and make it his when he has all the basics down.

That is awesome. Hopefully building a solid grilling foundation for the future. My oldest is 13, and he is helping me on the grill. Burgers & Hotdogs currently.

Well done young man, keep up the good work.

Back