My Redhead Rebuild

So forgot about testing the therm in boiling water had done this with my smoker therms thank J for reminding me, it reads 201 boiling so about 11 off no problem there you can account for that but no way to account for the temps the grill got up to no doubt in my mind they just stuck a propane connection on a nat gas manifold.

Had a tray rail drop it was one of the posts I repaired thought it was okay found it was not. You don't need a tap to fix it, Jeff had a tap I did not. Found something on youtube, fill the inside of the post with QuikSteel like Jeff did then take your screw coat it with wd40 in my case used 3/1. Push the screw into the post get it straight as you can let it sit for 3 minutes then turn the screw a half turn and then let it set I let it set for an hour. Back the screw out then screw it back in with the rail bingo its like brand new, really wish I had done all of them this way.

Brian

Last edited:
Thanks Bruce they should last a long time really in good shape and stainless so they will last longer cause till I find a propane manifold they really are not going to get used.

The thermometer might actually be pretty accurate. It is just in a different spot in the cook box. I did a turkey on my rotisserie a couple days ago. I have a Thermo Works Smoke remote therm and I put the ambient temp probe in the right side hole where the warming rack sits. I used that temp for my cook. The lid thermometer was 30-40 degrees off from that even though I was only using the front burner. Some day, I may try putting my ambient probe right next to the lid thermometer and see what the difference is.

But, yah, the boiling water test will give you an idea if the thermometer is off at all.

The last time I cleaned valves, I used Gas valve grease which I got at Home Depot. That is the same stuff I used back in the 70s when I worked at a propane store.

I have never seen it. I have never had an issue with the synthetic brake caliper lube with moly but I would be interested in finding that stuff

Well I am finally done after many months shout out to Jon Tofte because he helped me out with the parts that I needed to finish up. Learned a lot it runs great and in the end it was a nat gas manifold and all they did was stick a propane hose on it. I mistakenly thought that when Jon sent me the propane manifold the orifices were the same as what I had eyes not what they used to be had some 16 gauge wire it fit in the nat gas orifices did not fit the propane orifices.

Thanks to all for the help along the way.

qluSiMJ.jpg
EhahqJh.jpg
W6N9gnv.jpg

You done good Bryan. That looks great. It will serve you for a long time as I am sure you will take great care of it. Are you going to replace the hanging warming basket?

Brian, that one is a definite keeper. You did an awesome job and persevered to overcome some pesky grill restore obstacles. It sure looks like it was worthwhile in the end!

Thanks for sharing your restoration pictures. Glad I could be a little help along the way. I hope I can make my redhead look even half as nice!

Jon

Bruce really not sure think the lower one providing that back burner is not on would do the job. I have the rusted out hanging basket maybe I will try to see if I can do something with it.

This really is my wife's grill not many times if any she would use that. There is only 2 of us so unlike the old days we don't cook a lot of stuff besides I am looking for a performer and already have a smoker.

My daughter got engaged last weekend her fiance loves this red head so in a few years down the road when they have a home I am going to give them this one will be looking for another to do over maybe a 3000 or a platinum but for now just going to cook on it and enjoy it.

Jon thanks and to tell you the truth in ATL not many of these show up anymore maybe in the spring. Buying one that has nat gas and then praying for a donor does not seem to work down here. There are 2 many parts missing when you don't just wait for a propane one the tank scale and bracket for sure my deck is wood did not want the tank on it. I spent more than I expected but I am very happy wife is to the charbroil heading into the trash on Monday. Thanks again.

Brian, I am just kidding about the hanging basket because your grill looks 100% complete except for that little item. I agree, I wind up taking out my warming racks almost all the time. I find they are usually in the way, no matter what I am doing. However, I do find the hanging basket is a lot less in the way. It works great for keeping backed potatoes warm while the meat finishes up. Other than that, I really don't use them at all.

My daughter is getting close to getting engaged, I think. I would love to turn my redhead over to them as well, but they look like they are going to be in an apartment for a while and most apartments won't allow gas grills. My ultimate wish list is a "Blue Head". I would love to acquire one. Even if the frame and cook box are toast, I want the lid. I will just find a good donor grill to put it on. But until then, the Redhead is going to get a lot of use.

It looks great. And yep that's where my trusty old red head went (to daughter and son in law). I was there the other day. Noticed that even though it's in a shelter he bought a nice new Weber full length cover for it. Good kid!

Back